Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dusty & crusty 73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Picked up this 73 1.7 and a 72 today (well 72 next week) 10 years in a warehouse worth of dust and mice icon8.gif Sadly a very rusty car with LOTS of bondo. Plan to sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif over the next few weeks. I will post parts for sale in the classified section as I go. Was really hoping this would be a better car.

KELTY360
Does it have decent door handles? I need.
r_towle
Are those the rare 914-S wheels?
I have been looking forever for those.

Can you post the numbers from the backs of those super rare wheels?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2016, 10:10 PM) *

Are those the rare 914-S wheels?
I have been looking forever for those.

Can you post the numbers from the backs of those super rare wheels?

super rare wheels blink.gif date code on the front is 2/74 and are 5 1/2 x 15
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 18 2016, 03:10 PM) *

Picked up this 73 1.7 and a 72 today (well 72 next week) 10 years in a warehouse worth of dust and mice icon8.gif Sadly a very rusty car with LOTS of bondo. Plan to sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif over the next few weeks. I will post parts for sale in the classified section as I go. Was really hoping this would be a better car.

dibs on rear lens, if there in decent shape...
Chris H.
And the gorgeous side trim protective strips like mine. Lovely. At least it's outta the barn.
JeffBowlsby
I'm interested in all the wire harnesses from both cars, Garold. Let me know.
GaroldShaffer
dry.gif one sway bar drop link is bent mad.gif

McLovin
Reviving an old thread to ask a question. The car in this thread has some side trim pieces. Anyone know if this is being made anywhere today? In stainless steel?

Anyone have a picture of a clean car with trim like that? Trying to figure out if it would look good. I know thick/wide stainless strips look pretty good on a VW beetle, but...
Larmo63
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 29 2017, 08:52 PM) *

Reviving an old thread to ask a question. The car in this thread has some side trim pieces. Anyone know if this is being made anywhere today? In stainless steel?

Anyone have a picture of a clean car with trim like that? Trying to figure out if it would look good. I know thick/wide stainless strips look pretty good on a VW beetle, but...

I REALLY hope you are joking......! WTF.gif
Frankvw
Keep in mind that you have extra holes in the body to hold them.
Like kids...they become bigger over time :-)
Chris H.
It's not a good look. I can say that because I have them on my car. Will be removing them soon. Absolutely do not do it.
rgalla9146

That's a joke right ?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 29 2017, 10:52 PM) *

The stuff that was on this 914 was the same peel and stick stuff you can get at any auto parts store.
McLovin
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 30 2017, 09:15 AM) *

That's a joke right ?

Not really. I don't know if you've ever seen the stainless kits for older VW beetles, but the strips are about an inch wide and of high quality. They look good. But I'm guessing from responses here that it might not translate too well to the 914. Thought it might match up nice with a chrome luggage rack on the trunk if it was done right.
McLovin
accidental double post
KELTY360
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 30 2017, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 30 2017, 09:15 AM) *

That's a joke right ?

Not really. I don't know if you've ever seen the stainless kits for older VW beetles, but the strips are about an inch wide and of high quality. They look good. But I'm guessing from responses here that it might not translate too well to the 914. Thought it might match up nice with a chrome luggage rack on the trunk if it was done right.

You've got a trunk in the front and a trunk in the back and you need a luggage rack? Just tell your wife to leave her shoe racks at home. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
As an ex Bug owner, It will take time to DeBug his thoughts,,, smile.gif

Is that an LE rear spoiler beer.gif
JamesM
What style of doors are on this one? I have had 3 73s and all had different doors due to when in 73 they were built, Early, Late, and transition (scissor window mechanism but without the reinforcement beam)

If these are from the transitional period I may be interested in them.
McLovin
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 30 2017, 02:27 PM) *

What style of doors are on this one? I have had 3 73s and all had different doors due to when in 73 they were built, Early, Late, and transition (scissor window mechanism but without the reinforcement beam)

This post was from May, 2016. I raised the dead to use the picture in it.
Chris H.
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 30 2017, 01:27 PM) *

Garold might have a lot more than those two doors. PM him.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 30 2017, 01:27 PM) *

This car is long gone. Doors were late style and full of bondo. I do have other doors in storage, but don't believe any are the style you are looking for.
Chris H.
Yeah the doors get chewed up sometimes around here don't they? And most people want the lighter early ones. Try Bruce Stone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.