Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sell as compleat or part out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
WolfR32
So, I'm thinking about selling my 74 Track/street 914. It has current CA registration.
I don't know the valuation on a car that is more track than street friendly.
Has a full cage so trips to the store are not that fun, suspension is stiff even on full soft.
Fresh top end, heads redone, new AA Biral cylinders and 96mm JE Pistons for a 2056 motor.
601 side shift with short 1~4 and stock 5th for freeway and bigger tracks, has a ZF LSD @ 40%, and aluminum intermediate plate with new bearing.

15x6.5 Panasport wheels with 0 off set. Toyo RA1 205/45 front, 225/40 rear
Rear fiberglass flares to fit the 0 off set wheels.

New windshield

So should I try and sell it turn key or part it out? Any ideas on value?

Thanks!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mepstein
I would first try selling complete. If it doesn't sell, then part out. Parting out may make you more money but you are dealing with 20-50 buyers vs 1, many trips to fed ex and a much longer time frame to get everything sold.
tp_reading
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ May 19 2016, 01:14 PM) *

So, I'm thinking about selling my 74 Track/street 914. It has current CA registration.
I don't know the valuation on a car that is more track than street friendly.
Has a full cage so trips to the store are not that fun, suspension is stiff even on full soft.
Fresh top end, heads redone, new AA Biral cylinders and 96mm JE Pistons for a 2056 motor.
601 side shift with short 1~4 and stock 5th for freeway and bigger tracks, has a ZF LSD @ 40%, and aluminum intermediate plate with new bearing.

15x6.5 Panasport wheels with 0 off set. Toyo RA1 205/45 front, 225/40 rear
Rear fiberglass flares to fit the 0 off set wheels.

New windshield

So should I try and sell it turn key or part it out? Any ideas on value?

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm looking for a motor, but would take the whole car if the price was right ?
Thanks,
Tony
Randal
Sell it turn key. Parting out is a PITA and a perfect example of diminishing returns.
WolfR32
Any Ideas on price? I feel that it should have a higher value than a track only car, but not as much as a stock driver (those seem to be going up, up, up...)
mepstein
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ May 20 2016, 01:21 AM) *

Any Ideas on price? I feel that it should have a higher value than a track only car, but not as much as a stock driver (those seem to be going up, up, up...)

I would start at $7-8K and go from there. I would also paint the rear 1/4 panels.
Andyrew
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 20 2016, 04:18 AM) *

I would start at $7-8K and go from there. I would also paint the rear 1/4 panels.

Seems under valued for a track ready street car with fresh stuff... I would say put it up for auction.
mepstein
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 24 2016, 02:49 PM) *

Seems under valued for a track ready street car with fresh stuff... I would say put it up for auction.

I'm just guessing off a pic and a short description. It's not my car so go higher by all means. Best of luck. beerchug.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 24 2016, 11:49 AM) *

Track ready? Yes, no and maybe.

My family Volvo is track ready right now smile.gif

Was the car built for a particular class following a particular rule book? Can it be used as is in other track events than what it was built for?

A little info prospective buyers might want to know.

You are off someplace with your wheel specs. Front and rear rims sure don't look the same to me so I'd have a hard time thinking width and offset are the same front to rear.

WolfR32
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 24 2016, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 24 2016, 11:49 AM) *

Track ready? Yes, no and maybe.

My family Volvo is track ready right now smile.gif

Was the car built for a particular class following a particular rule book? Can it be used as is in other track events than what it was built for?

A little info prospective buyers might want to know.

You are off someplace with your wheel specs. Front and rear rims sure don't look the same to me so I'd have a hard time thinking width and offset are the same front to rear.

The car was built for SCCA improved touring I think by the PO back in the early 2000s. It had FI when I got it, but went to webbers 40's. As it sits now in POC its V5 class, it would need a fuel cell to run in VARA, also maybe updated harness.

The 0 offset wheels have a small hub opining for the earlier hubs and I had to machine the hub/disc to fit the wheels. Before I did that I had some normal offset panasports on, in the top picture the 0 offset rear is fitted to check look/clarence of the flares, in pic 2 you can see the 0 offset on the front... kind of biggrin.gif I didn't notice the wheels in the top pic...

If I do list it I'll take better pictures and have more details.
I may keep it and make it nicer on the eyes if I do. Maybe nicer paint or a idea.gif wrap

Thanks to everyone for giving me some feedback it helps! beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
I'd sell it all together. Be patient and sell it over time. Pick the right time to sell it. Like now. Lots of pictures. It will make perfect sense to someone, but it will take time.

Street / race cars take more time, but for whatever reason go for less, even though you invested more.

Are you Bay Area (DGDG) or SoCal?
jacquot
I'd sell it as a complete car and start considerably higher than 7-8k, if I had one, which I do, also a V5 POC car.
I think making it a bit nicer to look at would improve chances and also maybe convince you to hold on to it. I'm facing the same choices.
Good luck.
campbellcj
Larry, is the cage welded-in and essentially non-removable? Looks so from the pics but it's hard to tell.

I agree with trying (hard) to sell it complete first. To me parting-out sounds like an extended multi-month or multi-year nightmare. And then you'd have the caged tub or roller itself to unload on somebody which is a very limited market as well so unfortunately you may end up junking that.
J P Stein
HEH.....I was in the same spot a while back.
Got out my short roll-around chair & started at the front bumper. I gave a realistic price for the bits.....all good stuff....I knew the market. By the time I got to the rear bumper, I had come up with a few grand more than I was asking for the car, trailer, spares , tools,
tow truck........ The chassis not included ....that will give a fella pause

I did finally sell the car, trailer, & spares as a unit (20K 4-5.years ago)........but the rest of the stuff got me over 4k extra
WolfR32
QUOTE(jacquot @ Jul 7 2016, 11:55 AM) *

I'd sell it as a complete car and start considerably higher than 7-8k, if I had one, which I do, also a V5 POC car.
I think making it a bit nicer to look at would improve chances and also maybe convince you to hold on to it. I'm facing the same choices.
Good luck.

I am working on making it nicer on the eyes, and a bit unique I hope, will post pics when its done.
evilgrin.gif

Wish you were running your V5 when I was... I was the only V5 when I was doing TT... I was first in class every time I ran first.gif rolleyes.gif
WolfR32
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 7 2016, 04:56 PM) *

Larry, is the cage welded-in and essentially non-removable? Looks so from the pics but it's hard to tell.

I agree with trying (hard) to sell it complete first. To me parting-out sounds like an extended multi-month or multi-year nightmare. And then you'd have the caged tub or roller itself to unload on somebody which is a very limited market as well so unfortunately you may end up junking that.

Hi Chris,

Yes the cage is welded in... probably way safer on the road than a stock 914 but the way the sides are makes getting in and out a pain, especially the taller/bigger people.

WolfR32
QUOTE(RobW @ May 30 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Are you Bay Area (DGDG) or SoCal?

Hi Rob,
I'm in SoCal, but seem to be buying my cars in NorCal... The 914 came from Pleasanton.
jacquot
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ Jul 18 2016, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jacquot @ Jul 7 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Good luck.

I am working on making it nicer on the eyes, and a bit unique I hope, will post pics when its done.
evilgrin.gif

Wish you were running your V5 when I was... I was the only V5 when I was doing TT... I was first in class every time I ran first.gif rolleyes.gif

Wish I would have been running with you as well, always more fun to compete.
I built it when there were 3 or 4 running in V5 and by the time it was completed they all moved on to V3. Looking forward to seeing photos. J
preach
If you are not in a rush to sell then sell it complete. Some buyer will come along that knows what you have.

I just sold a '91 Jeep Wrangler project for $3k, it ran but had no brakes and would not come close to passing inspection. It was worth ALL of the $3k though due to the bits it had into it. A guy from 200 miles away saw the deal and paid full price on it.

Shoot straight with everyone, sell it for a fair price and just wait.

The Jeep took me 8 years to offer, but only 3 months to sell.

That said I get 3 inquires a month on my Westfalia and when the shop is open I get an inquiry for the '14. My Westy is worth about $20k but I tell the wife to say $35K so we can bu a syncro Westy lol. Maybe we will win that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.