Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question for body/paint guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmitro
my car is getting media blasted this week. I still have a lot of sheetmetal replacement/work to do but I want to primer the car before I continue. There's so much information out there on the interwebs it's confusing for a newbie. So.....

1. what type of coating? POR15 or just epoxy primer?

2. does the metal need a prep or wipe down before priming? with what?

3. after the primer is sprayed, do I just grind it off to do body work and then repsray? Can I apply body filler over the primer or does it go directly to bare metal?

4. Can I spray high-fill primer over the base epoxy primer?
Andyrew
QUOTE(jmitro @ May 19 2016, 08:43 AM) *

my car is getting media blasted this week. I still have a lot of sheetmetal replacement/work to do but I want to primer the car before I continue. There's so much information out there on the interwebs it's confusing for a newbie. So.....

1. what type of coating? POR15 or just epoxy primer?

2. does the metal need a prep or wipe down before priming? with what?

3. after the primer is sprayed, do I just grind it off to do body work and then repsray? Can I apply body filler over the primer or does it go directly to bare metal?

4. Can I spray high-fill primer over the base epoxy primer?

1. Epoxy Primer

2. Wax and grease remover

3. Body filler over metal is fine. Body filler over primer is fine. After your done with bodywork spray another layer of urethane primer "Primer sealer". You can thin this down to paint level. This will seal everything in and give you a rust barrier. Paint goes directly over it.

4. Yes.
Amphicar770
What Andyrew said.

A good autobody supply / paint shop is your friend. Try to stay within the same family of products (i.e. PPG).
jmitro
great, thanks guys aktion035.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.