Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie with a 1973 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rathguten
Hello 914world! Newbie to the site and 914s. I recently purchased a 1973 2.0. The car was purchased twelve years ago by the previous owner and has been sitting for four years. The seller provided all sorts of new parts and a binder with receipts going back to the day it was purchased new. I have several air cooled VWs and was just about ready to start the resto of my 1950 type 1 when this little distraction came along. The more I read about these cars the more excited I get to get it road worthy again.

I was able to start the engine, but the fuel lines are brittle and the fuel tank has a lot of sludge. I have since pulled the tank and purchased a replacement and also removed the fuel pump and all the old lines. The car still has the plastic fuel lines and I'm planning on replacing them in the near future. However I just want to get the car running so I can get a better idea of what direction to go in.

Like I said earlier, I don't have any previous knowledge about these cars, so please feel free to chime in with advice or comments.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
iankarr
welcome.png
You're in for a lot of fun. Def check out tangerine racing for their SS fuel line kit. They also have a bunch of other stuff you'll want.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

I bought my 73 2.0 about a year ago and this community is amazing. Enjoy!
jrblackbox
congrats! Nice looking car! is the roof body color?
smarens
love the plaid seats, want to do that to mine, good luck with project, sounds like mine, need to get it driving to see what you have, sounds like you are on the right track
veekry9
welcome.png

A slightly rusted Florida car,well,there is some work ahead,starting with the fuel tank and lines,the cause of many a fire.
If you smell fuel,carry a couple of fire extinguishers and keep them handy when starting.
A cleaned and swish coated tank with the stainless lines is a good first step,after the horrifying rustholes assessment.
Disconnect the battery or install an isolation switch,as the gremlin of electricity resides within,a full checkout needed.
A peek and poke into the hellhole,camera used constantly as you circle the unsightly rust,warily.
A few shots of rust converter and rattlecan silver will enhance the appearance in those 50' pix,at least slow the rust.
This is the place,the answer of every question,since,like forever.
smile.gif
Rathguten
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice. The top is in fact body color. While I haven't checked every inch yet, the car has surprisingly little rust, particularly for a Florida car. Having restored numerous vintage VWs, rust is something I am well acquainted with. While I'm not afraid to tackle rust repairs it is definitely not my favorite thing to do. Right now I just want to get it rolling under its own power. I've found that my motivation is always that much greater once I make that driving connection with a car. The fuel tank is on it's way so in the meantime I'm going to check to the fuel pump and replace the rubber hoses. I will try to update as often as possible and post more pictures as progrss occurs. As a side note, looking at the original purchase order, the price paid on July 9th 1973 was $7,448.15.
r_towle
welcome.png

You can (for now) use the attic lines in the tunnel.
You really must replace ALL the rubber lines in the fuel system...you are dealing with 60 PSI until the regulator, and burning 914,s happens to often.

Once you get all the rubber replaced there are many here who will be happy to help you get going.
Look at the top right of the page to see 914 info.
Search that for lots of good stuff, and two other sites for the two fuel injection systems these things have....so you can learn all about them.

If you have interest in a few more beetle, let me know...
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well you have a great car to begin with. It sounds like this is not your first rodeo, so you know the drill. Organization is the key. Good luck.
Frankvw
i like the seat(covers). Interesting car to start with. Are those rockercovers set up for already flared fenders ?
off topic (not 100% off topic) : a 1950 T1 ?? wow. I am also from the VW scene, so that pulled my attention for sure.
Good luck with the work on this 914 !
mark04usa
welcome.png Great car! Please do keep us posted on progress. popcorn[1].gif
aharder
welcome.png
JoeD
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 19 2016, 08:19 PM) *

welcome.png
You're in for a lot of fun. Def check out tangerine racing for their SS fuel line kit. They also have a bunch of other stuff you'll want.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

I bought my 73 2.0 about a year ago and this community is amazing. Enjoy!

agree.gif I bought my '73 about a year ago, and fuel lines were a disaster. Chris at Tangerine is your friend there for sure. He can provide not just the SS tunnel lines but all the rubber lines you need, fuel pump kit with filter, clamps, the works. And like nearly everyone on this site, he's super helpful.

Also- and I'm sure you've picked this up already- you'll want to bookmark 914Rubber.com. I should have just hit the "One of Everything" button on that site the day I brought mine home.

And welcome.png

JD
jkb944t
Welcome! I got my SST fuel lines from a member (Rotary'14) on this board recently and I was very happy with his product. Quick delivery, good price and very helpful advice!

Jeff B

welcome.png
76-914
welcome.png
whitetwinturbo
welder.gif .........check the longs and hell hole post haste!
Rathguten
Well the weather didn't cooperate today and it rained all afternoon so I didn't get to do anything on the car. However, I did get curious about all the receipts and decided to add them up. The total maintenance and repairs on the car for first ten years was $5,571.33, which is close to the original cost of the car. From there I kept adding the receipts and the grand total up up to 2009, which is where the trail ends is $31,949.57! Granted it does include an engine rebuild in 1996, but I was surprised at how much was spent over the years. Then again, I'm pretty frugal and do everything myself, so maybe that's a bargain. I lost count of how many A/C related repairs there were. "AC topped off" was on the vast majority of the receipts. Also found a recall letter dated July 12, 1977 from VWoA related to possible damage as a result of water runoff from the battery.

I like the idea about buying a "kit" to replace the fuel lines. I know that feeling of needing one of everything and would like to get it all done in one shot. I was also reading about relocating the fuel pump to the front, so that is on my to do list as well. I just want to get it running before I get too deep into it financially as I need to stay focused on my 1950 VW. My idea/hope/desire is to have the '50 ready for HO next year and that is going to take lots of attention and money.

I must admit that I thought about selling the car when I first got it as I just have too many cars to keep up with. But as happens to me so often, the more I work on it, look at it and read about it, the more attached I get. So I decided to keep it. Just please don't tell my wife. I'm great at buying, but boy do I have a hard time selling.
steuspeed
You'll fit right in. driving.gif

Check out the Squarsche build: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=squarsche

Here is my silver 73 2.0.
Rathguten
Well I finally finished my '60 ragtop type 1 and had some time to work on my 914. The fuel tank was in really rough shape, with heavy sludge and some pin holes on the areas that rest on the felt pads. Fortunately, I was able to source a solid replacement for only $48, which I installed along with new rubber lines. The fuel pump was also full of sludge, so I took it apart and cleaned it. It seemed to work, but doesn't appear to develop the kind of pressure necessary. The pump is the type with the three ports which is apparently the most expensive one. Since I'm just trying to get the car running, I'm hoping to be able to use an alternate pump. Seeing as the tank and pump where so full of sludge, I decided to pull the injectors out for a look. They too appear dirty and the seals are cracked. So I have a couple of questions:

1) I saw a replacement pump on the Autoatlanta site which includes the filter for $75. Does anyone have any experience with this pump?

2) injectors for the 2.0 are expensive, with new ones at $500 a set or $300 for rebuilt ones. I've seen some rebuilding services on line at around $20 per injector. Can anyone make any recommendations? I would prefer someone that can install the correct rubber elbow.

Thanks!
914_teener
Try Witchhunter for the injectors.

Just use the fuel injection hose for the elbows and use the FI fuel clamps .

Get the Viton lined FI hose....I forgot the part number....it is rated to use the E90 fuel...Ethanol.

Search here for the fuel line type.

Avoid Auto Atlanta unless you want induced frustration.

rick 918-S
welcome.png
napasteve
I just installed SS fuel lines from Tangerine Racing and a new Bosch 69133 fuel pump that I bought on Amazon for $72. Fuel lines can be installed with the engine in place (by a non-mechanic; if I can do it, anyone can). Wix 33274 or Purolator F23175 fuel filters both work and are available at Amazon for under $10.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rathguten
Thanks! Now being that there are three ports on my original fuel pump, how do I plumb the type shown in the picture with just two? I'm assuming I just need to remove the splitter from the return line, but I want to be sure.
napasteve
Yes, just remove the spliter so the return line is a straight shot back to the gas tank. I had to move the pump from the original position; no way it would fit in the original spot with input and output on opposite ends of the new pump. I drilled a hole in the firewall (actually 2 walls) and mounted as shown in my previous picture. I just copied what another 914World member did (I need to search around to figure out what thread/member I got the picture below from).

Click to view attachment
Rathguten
Well today I braved 100+ degree heat and installed a new fuel pump, new rubber lines, and the injectors I had repaired by Mr. Injector. After priming the system I hit the key and it started perfectly. I did a quick pre-flight and despite having no brakes went for a ride around the block. I typically work with 36hp VWs so I was really surprised at the responsiveness and power of the 2.0. A big thank you to those that shared their insight and advice. Now that I know it runs, I'm going to fix the brakes and then address the rust. I will update as I progress.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(napasteve @ Jun 8 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Yes, just remove the spliter so the return line is a straight shot back to the gas tank. I had to move the pump from the original position; no way it would fit in the original spot with input and output on opposite ends of the new pump. I drilled a hole in the firewall (actually 2 walls) and mounted as shown in my previous picture. I just copied what another 914World member did (I need to search around to figure out what thread/member I got the picture below from).

Click to view attachment

That picture is from my 914. Feel free to use it to educate other owners. Terry
green914
need to replace the plastic fuel line on mine too. welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.