Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rat Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gunn1
Has anyone out there done a 914 rat rod, or have any photos of an example?

You know the "Steam Punk" look.

bfrymire
Don't know about 914, but here's a hot rod. I have more pictures at home.

poorsche914
Some inspiration...
This was dreamed up and built in 8 months of spare time. The details are amazing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 19 2016, 05:53 PM) *

For those of us who are uninformed what is "Steam Punk" look?
altitude411
Bruce, here's more than you probably wanted to know. beerchug.gif https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk
bdstone914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 19 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Bruce, here's more than you probably wanted to know. beerchug.gif https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Thanks, yes it is more than I need to know. Please don't F-up 914 like that.
boxsterfan
My friend built this rat rod.
Mueller
Rat rod is opposite of Steam Punk...not related.

A Google image search will show a few examples rat rod'ish 914s.

Gunn1
Examples of bugs
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And bus
Click to view attachment

Anyone done something similar to a 914?
maddin
surprised the vw crowd hasn't "upgraded" a 914 with a roofrack and some useless old suitcases ...although I do like some of the deep steelies and extreme camber mods.

IPB Image

IPB Image
jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 19 2016, 11:04 PM) *

A Google image search will show a few examples rat rod'ish 914s.

agree.gif

One of my friends' wives is into steam punk and it can be pretty cool in terms of house ornaments like lamps, table legs, etc. but in terms of cars I've always found it super over the top. Rat rod stuff is supposed to be "driven hard and put away wet."
JmuRiz
Steam punk is more like the movie "Wild Wild West"
IPB Image

Rat rods are more like this car on my brother-in-law's farm...if I were to get it running and take it to a gathering:
bulitt
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 19 2016, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 19 2016, 05:53 PM) *

For those of us who are uninformed what is "Steam Punk" look?

It's how the world looked when I was a kid... slits.gif
whitetwinturbo
............even shaped like a steamer:

Click to view attachment
Gunn1
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 20 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment

No need to know how to paint,
Or do bodywork.

I sort of like it.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 20 2016, 01:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I appreciate pretty near every form of art and usually keep my opinions to myself.

But that just looks stupid. I cannot discern any redeeming value to that disaster on any level.

OK to ban me now if you wish for this indiscretion, I will go back under my rock now.
maddin
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 21 2016, 09:55 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I appreciate pretty near every form of art and usually keep my opinions to myself.

But that just looks stupid. I cannot discern any redeeming value to that disaster on any level.

OK to ban me now if you wish for this indiscretion, I will go back under my rock now.

why? what's wrong with a matching spare rim on your roof rack and a bumper guide on the rear fender?
JmuRiz
Thank goodness that's just a rendering and not a real car biggrin.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 20 2016, 07:34 PM) *

Said like a true Narpster.....

But I still kind of like it..............

I think there is a simular looking car on the Restoration Design video intro.

Its Ok though if you don't like it, as the saying goes "Its a free country"
r_towle
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 20 2016, 08:34 PM) *

agree.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 20 2016, 04:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I often view builds like that are for people crying out for attention....something tragic happened to them when young and usually somebody went to jail for it or should!

barefoot
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 20 2016, 04:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Not so far off the scale:

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Call me an old fart set in my ways, any way you display it it still crap.
JoeDees
I really don't get the roof rack with a bunch of stuff on it trend. I also don't get the "stance" and excessive camber thing, but the roof rack with stuff is the most confusing.
boxstr
This is as far to the rat rod as I have gone on my own personal cars, the flat paint is it. And people are always wanting to know, When are you going to paint it?
I think that it is painted, little squirt.
Craig at CAMP
Gunn1
Ah come on guys ....widen your horizons a little.

The same was said about George Barris when he started doing his "thing"

It all about personal preference, but just to call it crap because your confused about the stuff on the roof and the camber of the tires really isn't a cogent reason.

There are a lot of 914's with flare kits, spoilers and various other modifications I don't really care for either....

And I promise you I won't try to infer the reason behind these mods is due to them being dropped on their heads or having the crap beat out of them because your folks named you Francis !

You guys crack me up....

1stworks
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 21 2016, 02:27 PM) *

It all about personal preference, but just to call it crap because your confused about the stuff on the roof and the camber of the tires really isn't a cogent reason.

There are a lot of 914's with flare kits, spoilers and various other modifications I don't really care for either....

And I promise you I won't try to infer the reason behind these mods is due to them being dropped on their heads or having the crap beat out of them because your folks named you Francis !

You guys crack me up....

clap56.gif
party.gif

Well said.
RARE 6
QUOTE(1stworks @ May 21 2016, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 21 2016, 02:27 PM) *

You guys crack me up....

clap56.gif
party.gif

Well said.

Agree wholeheartedly. Seems to be a lot of "whatever floats your boat" from folks on this board that's offset by "...so long as it's something I would do." A theoretical rat rod discussion, Maqnus jealousy and Raby cost complaints just the latest examples.
r_towle
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 21 2016, 08:58 AM) *

You are an old fart set in your ways.
Not that there is anything wrong with that .

I think the rat rod craze started when paint jobs went over 10k
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 21 2016, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 21 2016, 08:58 AM) *

You are an old fart set in your ways.
Not that there is anything wrong with that .

I think the rat rod craze started when paint jobs went over 10k

You could be right about the Paint thing Rich, but I think it's a little deeper than that.
I think it is intended to focus attention on the mechanism of the vehicle and not the vehicle itself. Many of these "Rat" cars have things exposed that normally are hidden. Suspension pieces, engines, steering columns, ect.

In another instance you will also see parts used from other make model cars, very often performing a different function then they were designed to do.

Being in my early 50's I am more "old school" but it is interesting to look at trends as time goes by.
ThePaintedMan
I want to see a "rat" 2016 911. Scuff some paint off, promote some rust, chop it, slam it and show it. Anyone can take an old F-1 or a Beetle and throw some linseed oil + drop spindles on it. It takes REAL balls to ruin a brand new car wink.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 21 2016, 11:39 PM) *

I want to see a "rat" 2016 911. Scuff some paint off, promote some rust, chop it, slam it and show it. Anyone can take an old F-1 or a Beetle and throw some linseed oil + drop spindles on it. It takes REAL balls to ruin a brand new car wink.gif

Someone has and will.....
EdwardBlume
Just drive it! aktion035.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(RobW @ May 22 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Just drive it! aktion035.gif

Fahrvergnügen!
jeffdon
Take a look at this hot mess....

Click to view attachment

While not something I would want to emulate, the driver has had it for years. In talking to him, I could tell he absolutely loved the thing. All the work was done by him. The love for the car, and the pride the guy had in it made it cool. I now give a thumbs up to anyone that is driving something that they have a passion for. We are all car people, and relate on some level.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 19 2016, 09:04 PM) *

agree.gif

If this wasn't just paint, but actual parts, this would be steam punk:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Brian Mifsud
If a collapsed suspension and rusty finish are hallmarks of "Ratrod"... then every 914 is already one...
mbseto
A couple of cool examples of rat rod culture:

The story of Burt Munro, they made a movie of it a while back, "The World's Fastest Indian". He failed safety at the salt flats for using a wine bottle cork as an oil cap.

And another facet of it is this guys project.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/monstrou...ery-93479.html#

I think the minute you drop a Chevy V8 into a Porsche, you're channeling a little rat rod spirit.

Click to view attachment
Gunn1
QUOTE(mbseto @ May 23 2016, 12:52 PM) *

A couple of cool examples of rat rod culture:

The story of Burt Munro, they made a movie of it a while back, "The World's Fastest Indian". He failed safety at the salt flats for using a wine bottle cork as an oil cap.

And another facet of it is this guys project.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/monstrou...ery-93479.html#

I think the minute you drop a Chevy V8 into a Porsche, you're channeling a little rat rod spirit.

Click to view attachment

I dig '"Rat Fink"
DBCooper
Seen at Canepa. That's Allis Chalmers orange with tractor seat spoilers.
jor
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 27 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Seen at Canepa. That's Allis Chalmers orange with tractor seat spoilers. I'm tellin' you, good advice, don't fuch with farmers.

Aren't tractor seats made of cast iron? That'd help with downforce.
DBCooper
Done NASCAR moonshiner style:

IPB Image

DBCooper
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 20 2016, 04:55 PM) *

OK, you got it, BANNED for a week.

mgp4591
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 27 2016, 01:07 PM) *

IPB Image

Pretty distinctive use of a donor car... aktion035.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 27 2016, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 27 2016, 01:07 PM) *

IPB Image

Pretty distinctive use of a donor car... aktion035.gif

Sham-wow!
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Not a rat Porsche but rat bike?

altitude411
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
I bet the guy that rides the blown bike says "what?" All of the time. I can't figure out how he even rides the thing.
Mueller
Had a thought which to me would be very cool and Rat Roddish....

Steel GT flares TIG welded on, but do not grind or cover up the welds, just light coat of paint so welds are visible yet protected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.