Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter disconnect
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Hi,

Trying to disconnect the shift linkage at the forward section, just before it goes into the tunnel.
After sliding off the boot, I backed out the set screw that has the tapered end.
But after that i can't see if theres anything else to disconnect and I can't seem to pull anything apart by hand.
I do see what looks like a pin that goes through the coupling that maybe I have to drive out with a drift pin or something but I don't want to damage it until I'm sure thats what I'm supposed to do (and then I'll damage it!).
Its a 1974 1.8 side shift.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

matthepcat
See linkage diagram if this helps. At what number are you trying to disconnect?

Click to view attachment
t collins
No don't try to drive out the pin in the coupling. You're ready to separate once you remove the cone screw.
74ravenna
QUOTE(matthepcat @ May 21 2016, 03:38 PM) *

See linkage diagram if this helps. At what number are you trying to disconnect?

Click to view attachment

I am at 26

Steve
74ravenna
QUOTE(t collins @ May 21 2016, 03:45 PM) *

No don't try to drive out the pin in the coupling. You're ready to separate once you remove the cone screw.

Ok, so just keep fiddling with it by hand?

Thanks
stugray
QUOTE(74ravenna @ May 21 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Thanks

Have someone hold a board between the firewall and the coupling knuckle, then pull backwards on the shift lever.
That will drive the shaft in the center tunnel forward and pop out of the knuckle at the firewall.
Or if that doesnt get it remove the access panel on the center tunnel at the firewall inside the car, and you can get a pair of needle nose vise grips on the shaft to hold it while someone pulls on the knuckle underneath.
74ravenna
QUOTE(stugray @ May 21 2016, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(74ravenna @ May 21 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Thanks

Have someone hold a board between the firewall and the coupling knuckle, then pull backwards on the shift lever.
That will drive the shaft in the center tunnel forward and pop out of the knuckle at the firewall.
Or if that doesnt get it remove the access panel on the center tunnel at the firewall inside the car, and you can get a pair of needle nose vise grips on the shaft to hold it while someone pulls on the knuckle underneath.

Excellent!

Thanks
Steve
bdstone914
I put a big adjustable wrench on the rod coming out of the firewall and hold it in place while some one in the cabin pulls back on the shifter. Rotating the rear rod by twisting at the bend helps to loosen it.
Bruce

Dave_Darling
Wiggle wiggle wiggle! It'll come loose.

--DD
GregAmy
Just to check...you said you "backed out" the set screw. Did you remove it entirely? If not, you need to. It has a long end that sticks well into the shaft.

IPB Image

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item3
74ravenna
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 22 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Just to check...you said you "backed out" the set screw. Did you remove it entirely? If not, you need to. It has a long end that sticks well into the shaft.

IPB Image

Yes, i removed it completely.
Thanks for checking.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to work on it.

Sounds easy enough. I'm going to try the "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" method again suggested by Dave Darling but getting a good grip is challenging with the boot on. It does scrunch up some, like an accordion but its never really out of the way and I haven't gotten frustrated enough to cut it off.

Thanks all.

Steve
t collins
QUOTE(74ravenna @ May 22 2016, 02:12 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks for checking.

Sounds easy enough. I'm going to try the "wiggle, wiggle, wiggle" method again suggested by Dave Darling but getting a good grip is challenging with the boot on. It does scrunch up some, like an accordion but its never really out of the way and I haven't gotten frustrated enough to cut it off.

Thanks all.

Steve

If you feel it helps, you can stretch the rubber boot off the elliptical shaped flange and then slide it out of the way.
EdwardBlume
Smack and twist it. It'll come. smash.gif
stugray
QUOTE(74ravenna @ May 22 2016, 03:12 PM) *

IPB Image

Thanks for checking.

Thanks all.

Steve

You can get it to come off the lip on the rod and push it back onto the rod to get it out of the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.