Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 and Bus engine differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a.haleem
Hi Is there a difference between the engine Porsche 914 2.0l and 2.0l engine Volkswagen bus
porschetub
Do a search on here ,recently well covered by one member,by the way an introduction is nice ,we all like pictures too,and welcome.png
einic
In Europe: bus 70 hp, 914 100 hp
bdstone914
Two main difference are the Bus engine has hydraulic lifters and different heads. 2.0L 914 heads have bigger valves and a different spark plug location.
Wow, Egypt. Wonder how many 914's there are in the country?
Welcome to the world.
DBCooper
That's in the 2.0 engine, compression (pistons), cam/lifters, heads and, curiously, dipstick location. There were other differences, market to market and year to year, but I believe the 1.8 and 1.7 engines were the same, as the earlier 411/412 cars.

Al Meredith
The bus engine connecting rods are stronger and HEAVIER. look close and you can see the difference.
Drums66
......Welcome..... flag.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(upon close inspection,very different animals)
garrettlee2
Also the oil fill is on the front if the motor not the top, because of that the engine bar doesn't fit.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ May 22 2016, 06:33 PM) *

The bus engine connecting rods are stronger and HEAVIER. look close and you can see the difference.

Are you sure? In what engine, the 1.7-1.8, or the 2.0? Or are you comparing 1.8 and 2.0 rods? The 2.0 rods have a smaller big end diameter, but it's the same part number, 039 198 401, for bus or 914. And for the 1.7-1.8 rods the number is 021 198 401, bus, 411 or 914.

Frankvw
I have a VW T2B with a 2.0 engine. I Always said to people it was the same as in a P914.....I was wrong. Many differences, like described above one Obvious one is the oilfiller neck on my engine, since I have a rear engine lid. But also stuff you do not see, like different heads under the engine tin....
barefoot
2.0 Bus head,smaller valves & smaller chamber
P/N 022 101 372G:
Click to view attachment

914 2.0 head: larger valves larger chamber 7 different plug location
P/N 039 104 371A:
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
The 2.0 914's heads are Porsche's big "contribution" to the Type 4 engine. They're what people refer to as "three stud" heads for easy identification, the three studs that hold the intake manifolds as opposed to the four studs on the bus engines. Those heads are the one big difference between bus and 914 engines and are coveted by VW hot-rodders. Here, a reference for all Type 4 cylinder heads, 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0, bus and 914, with differences detailed: http://web.archive.org/web/20111027012326/...nce/cylhead.htm

There's more information on that website, archived now but mostly still accessible, for all the engines and their components, most with part numbers so you can mix-and-match: http://web.archive.org/web/20111102113129/.../t4/index.shtml

And if you want engine-specific discussions try the Type 4rum on Shoptalk Forums, geared toward interchange for swapping T4 engines into other cars but still more information than you'll ever want or need: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.