Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey suby conversion guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Help me find a good thread for removing the center diff and adding in the locking piece to convert to 2 wheel drive. Thanks.
DBCooper
Look HERE first, a lot of info but it's pretty good.

There's a bit more HERE in the middle of the thread, or look further on that website for Subaspool or whatever they call it.

If that's not clear or you need more just say.

As info it's really easy to make up the rear cover plate, so don't buy it. Just need some flat stock, a jigsaw and a file to deburr, a drill press and about twenty minutes.

mepstein
Thanks. I have all the parts, just need instructions for the install.
904svo
Check out this site.
http://www.subarugears.com/Assembly/Assembly.html

May be of some help.
rightpedal
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20712&st=20

Page 2 scroll down a couple of posts if i screwed up the link. I just tore mine apart supper easy don't over think it most of the gears just fall out. The nut holding the gears together was definitely a impact gun deal. The big cylindrical piece is the diff it just pulls right out and exposes the nut that Stephen shows in his thread.

If you still have my number give me a call i will talk you through it. if not P me and i will give you my number.

Steve

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Chris H.
What year is your trans Mark? There is one subtle detail that I want to make sure you don't miss regarding the spacer washers. It's very easy to take the diff out actually and you have access to the tools to get the nut torqued correctly. It needs quite a bit of torque on it. Be careful with it, it's worth $.
jimkelly
I am dealing with this one right now. cut it in wrong location. wondering if it matters?

IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2016, 08:02 PM) *

I don't see any patience in that pic and your conversion going to need a lot. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2016, 08:02 PM) *

I don't see any patience in that pic and your conversion going to need a lot. biggrin.gif

Where do I buy that? It's sure not in stock at our shop.
Jim Kelly stopped by on Sunday and that motivated me to send the wire harness out to get done. It should be back in a couple weeks.

The trans is a 2002 from a bugeye. My shop has every tool we would need. I just need to be able to tell my guys what to do.
DBCooper
That link mentioned, http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...20712&st=20, has step-by-step instructions, but once you get it started it’s pretty straightforward. Follow the steps there and dismantle until you see this:

IPB Image

That’s where the sleeve goes and those two gears you can see just outside that big nut on the bottom shaft are the two it will lock. Remove that big nut and BE CAREFUL about order, orientation and placement of the washers etc. Once they’re off the sleeve is placed on, and in this photo you can see it in place and those two gears locked:

IPB Image

See that yellow paint mark? You can use it for orientation and compare both photos to see the differences, the sleeve before and after. Re-install those washers and bearings and torque the shit out of it (I don’t remember the value, look it up, but you’ll be leaning into it). Then put the rear cover on and you’re done. It’s not a very complicated process, and once you start disassembling things it’s pretty easy to see how it works.

Chris H.
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 23 2016, 11:41 AM) *

Remove that big nut and BE CAREFUL about order, orientation and placement of the washers etc.

^^^^ THIS
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 23 2016, 11:41 AM) *

Re-install those washers and bearings and torque the shit out of it (I don’t remember the value, look it up, but you’ll be leaning into it).

and ^^^^^ THIS

is what I was talking about Mark. DO NOT permanently remove any of the washers at the end of the stack where the nut goes no matter what the directions you may find on the internet might say. You use everything except (I think) one funny looking squiggly washer that comes out to fit the sleeve on. The round smooth washers ALL go back on or the nut won't get tight enough. See my build thread for the problem/solution on that. There may be a separate thread on it as well. Paul is exactly right with everything else he said too.

And the torque value is like....160 lbs or something but it's different for every year. Mine is an 06. Sounds easy but it's not since the stubs will spin when you try to tighten it. Mine is an "open diff" which made it worse.

914forme
Thanks you DB glad I could be of service, or scary someone up and document it for you all. piratenanner.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(914forme @ May 23 2016, 05:13 PM) *

Thanks you DB glad I could be of service, or scary someone up and document it for you all. piratenanner.gif

Seriously good job, will help everyone who comes after. Thanks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.