Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumblebee just rotting away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
This past weekend I made the hike up to Hans Foreign Auto parts in Elk River MN, this is a junkyard where patrons have access to the yard, but then you have to bring your request to the front and based on what it is, how he's feeling, and the vibe you're giving off either they pull the part/s for you or they allow you to pull the parts if you pinky swear not to trash other stuff getting your goods out. This yard is known for having all sorts of really cool old oddball stuff, so I figured I would go visit again because I hadn't been there in several years. It wasn't until I was leaving that I remembered why I hadn't been there in so long.

I parked and walked up to the guy that runs the joint, told him the type of vehicles I was looking for parts for (914 of course, as well as a VW Cabriolet to get some parts for my wife's project) He thought about it for a minute then told me to get into this busted up old van that he used to drive around the yard. Drove around a bit, pointed out a 914 and a couple Cabriolets, drove around some more and told me there was a 914 behind a row of VW buses, and a handful of other Cabriolets I could look through. Then he let me out and said to come see him when I have an idea what I wanted, and that he would quote some prices before the parts are pulled.

So I started walking, exploring, and whatnot. All of the VWs were a bust, either too overgrown with moss or spiderwebs or the parts I needed were missing already.

When I came to the first 914 I was astonished. It was complete, no body damage, but the drive train was removed.

IPB Image

poked around and made some mental notes of what I might want, then went searching for the other 914.

On the way I came across several neat old cars.

Volvo P1800
IPB Image

Audi Coupe GT (there were two of these, not the UR Quattro though, this is the FWD model)
IPB Image

Then finally I made my way back to the row of Buses and lo and behold...

Could it be...?
IPB Image

IPB Image

pair of carburetors in there
IPB Image

So I walked through the brush to the other side...

IPB Image

IPB Image

At this point, I wanted to snap a pic of the VIN to record it with the rest of the community and see if it was a genuine LE or if it was a replica, but foolishly , I took a picture of the door sill plate instead. I don't know why I thought the VIN was on here, I guess I was caught up in the moment.

IPB Image

I had my mental list of parts I wanted off of each car. In MN it's almost impossible to get a car out of a junkyard once it's been listed as salvage, so saving either of the 914's isn't something someone couldn't do. But hey, there are lots of good parts there.

I returned to the front, listed off a few of the parts I was interested in, and he put together a price list.

-pair of seats, $150 if the upholstery was trashed (he hadn't seen any of the pictures)
-rear bumper from the silver car $250
-fog lights from the silver car $200
-red plastic knob for heater (very faded) $25

There were a few other things, but I've since dismissed them. This is why I don't go here, prices rival that of good parts, purchased from eBay or other places, shipped to my door.

Shame about the LE. If I ever make it back this summer I'll get the actual VIN, and that of the silver car too, but it's too far away to just swing up there.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the story and additional photos for this car. It's VIN 20452 on the 914LE registry. It's got the correct paint code to be an LE, but not the right equipment group, so unfortunately it's not an LE.

EdwardBlume
Someone should make a run for these if salvageable......
914Next
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 23 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Thanks for the story and additional photos for this car. It's VIN 20452 on the 914LE registry. It's got the correct paint code to be an LE, but not the right equipment group, so unfortunately it's not an LE.

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is in the registry, has the correct paint code but not the right equipment group. Can you explain? Can a car have the LE paint code and not be an LE?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914Next @ May 23 2016, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 23 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is in the registry, has the correct paint code but not the right equipment group. Can you explain? Can a car have the LE paint code and not be an LE?

Sure, not all cars indicated on the 914LE Registry are 914LE cars. To dispel any potential confusion that a certain car may or may not be an LE, I also include cars that look like LEs, but are not, including tribute cars and their VINS when available.

For cars that look like LEs from the factory, but are not, the explanation is on the Registry, in text right above this section of cars which falls beyond the 914LE VIN range:

"914 cars indicated below have the correct 914 Can Am paint code, but not the M778 Can Am Equipment, and are not 914 LE cars"

For a 914 to be an authentic 914LE, it must have two things: the Can Am equipment group (M-778) and the correct LE paint code (either U1V9, or U2V9 [which is not the code indicated on the door jamb paint code plate, only the COA]). Both items appear on the COA, which certifies the car as a 914LE. You can see two of the cars in this section adjacent to VIN 20452 of the Registry that have COAs indicating the correct paint code, but do not have the correct equipment group.
JeffBowlsby
Someone go grab that factory front LE spoiler and its two brackets next time you are there. Its worth major dinero.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.