Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rivnut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Here's a pic of the Rivnut set up; how do I use it ? What is # 1 used for ?
I'm going to put a Rivnut into the firewall
914_teener
Jim,

Item #1 adjusts the collet "pull". Works just like a pop rivet accept the mandrel doesn't break off inside the rivet body, it unscrews instead. The threaded collet will cinch the riv nut through a range of metal thickness. The "range" is the amount of mushrooming to cinch the rivnut body against the mating metal in tension. This is set by the length of the riv nut.

Hope this helps. Do a test first... biggrin.gif
76-914
Everything is in the correct order except the Rivnut itself. That is bassackwards. Anyway, thread the proper size stem into the puller then the collet. Next thread your nut onto the stem, flange side towards you, insert into hole then squeeze like Hell. Those HF models aren't worth a plug nickel on anything 1/4" (included in that kit) and larger. beerchug.gif
Steve
I bought this one, super easy to use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KLVJAA/r...&ref=plSrch
Check out YouTube for how to use videos. That's what I did.
76-914
That one looks nice. The one that Jim shows will splay where the pin goes thru both handles, rendering it useless. It only does this with the 1/4" nut so you need to slip a large crescent wrench over the handle to keep it from opening up when under s strain. IOW, a true POS. I like the price on the one you found as well. beerchug.gif
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2016, 03:35 PM) *

That one looks nice. The one that Jim shows will splay where the pin goes thru both handles, rendering it useless. It only does this with the 1/4" nut so you need to slip a large crescent wrench over the handle to keep it from opening up when under s strain. IOW, a true POS. I like the price on the one you found as well. beerchug.gif

Works great!! Only issue I had with it, is if you screw the rivnut on to far where the screw is past the rivnut, it will strip out the rivnut. So I am careful to make sure its either flush with the top of the rivnut or a thread below. I used it to install the early fog lights on my backdated 75 as well as fuel pump mounts, ect. I have not tried it for anything really heavy where you need to put a lot of torque on the bolt. For that type of application you should probably weld the nut to the body.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ May 23 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Works great!! Only issue I had with it, is if you screw the rivnut on to far where the screw is past the rivnut, it will strip out the rivnut. So I am careful to make sure its either flush with the top of the rivnut or a thread below. I used it to install the early fog lights on my backdated 75 as well as fuel pump mounts, ect. I have not tried it for anything really heavy where you need to put a lot of torque on the bolt. For that type of application you should probably weld the nut to the body.

Thanks all; I'll bring the tool to the next C &C and leyt you demo it.... smile.gif
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 23 2016, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 23 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Thanks all; I'll bring the tool to the next C &C and leyt you demo it.... smile.gif

Sure!! I will bring mine for a comparison
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.