Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
hello i have a 72 1.7 with a shitty single carb set up now, i dont have the old injection set up so im going to stick with carbs. what is the best carb set up???? empi dual 40 IDF, anybody running these? are weber 34ITC better? any info would be nice. thank you
JFG
In the same bpat here. I have 40 idfs to put on mty 1.7.

If you wanted to change back to injection i have the manifolds / injectors and throttle body off my engine.
porsche-tom
I think for the moment I'm going to stick with carbs. beerchug.gif . Do you think 44s will be too much for a stock 1.7?
rhodyguy
Yes. Way too much carb. If you buy new carbs and everything that goes with the 'package' you're going to spend way north of $800.
somd914
Agree 44's are too large. Also, to really run correctly you will need a cam that supports carbs, I'll bet all the PO did was remove the D-Jet and add the single carb.
Hine62
I have 34s on my 1.8L. It runs fine with a SVDA distributor. After I got it setup there was a lot of tweeking done, but overall it runs fine. The throttle setup that came with the carbs needs to adjusted once in a while. My pre summer routine includes throttle adjustment, vacuum sync between carbs, and timing. Plus lifter adjustment, oil leak checks, etc.. I also changed the jets to get a better mixture.

The plan is to go to 40s soon plus a new carb cam...
r_towle
If you want carbs, go with,40mm IDF carbs so you can find parts as you change your motor etc. also, better resale. 44 are too big, 34 are difficult to get all the right parts for a type 4...

The venturis and jets can be purchased at lots of places, I have found aircooled.net to be the best, friendly, and helpful group.

Rich
zambezi
Dellorto DRLA 36's or Weber 40 IDF's for stock motor. I prefer Dellorto, they run smoother and need less tinkering, but I have used Webers with success also.
porsche-tom
auto atlanta has empi40s for around 600 and weber 40s for around 900. i think empi owns weber is the name worth an exta 300$??
rhodyguy
It's Well documented that the 'new' empis have issues fresh out of the box. Were those prices linkage included? Intake manifolds? Filter assemblies? It adds up quickly.
porsche-tom
yes all of it is included
r_towle
You would be better off going to CBperformance or redline Webber to buy your carbs.

Also, aircooled.net is really helpful, knows the 914, helps with jets etc....so if you buy the kit from them, you will be up and running sooner with phone support if needed.

Rich
porsche-tom
good info thanks. anybody have input on this camshaft to go along with bigger carbs? http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Scatcam...PN-RMIS137.html
r_towle
Elgin Camshafts
Webcamshafts

Those are two sources that manufacture Camshafts for our cars and will offer phone support for the product they produce.
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 09:56 PM) *

If you want carbs, go with,40mm IDF carbs so you can find parts as you change your motor etc. also, better resale. 44 are too big, 34 are difficult to get all the right parts for a type 4...

The venturis and jets can be purchased at lots of places, I have found aircooled.net to be the best, friendly, and helpful group.

Rich

How about a set of Vintage Solex carbs

(like these)
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 07:56 PM) *
...I have found aircooled.net to be the best, friendly, and helpful group.

Hear hear. None better.

BK911
I installed the empi hpmx 40s on my stock 1.7 about three years ago.
Adjusted float heights, verified vents and jetting, cleaned them up, and then vroom vroom!!
Like them so much just put a set on a bug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.