Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initial impressions of these rust shots?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
Found a decent looking, modified teener but its got some random spots of rust. The car isnt local so Im trying to see if its worth getting more details on. I like the price and the mods it has, so Im trying to give it a closer look. However, I havent been able to get a good pic of the hell hole from him, but he sent me a pic from what looks like the underside of it.

Here are two random spots of rust, not sure how they got there?? Im thinking there must have been moisture in the trunk?.. or it had a bunch of dirt sitting on top?? Just thinking out loud.

IPB Image

And this, I have no idea, though it kinda scares me as to what would be hiding inside the quarter panel

IPB Image

And finally, these are the underside shots I got. He told me they have fixed the hell hole in the past. Honestly, Im not really sure what Im looking at haha

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gaps look good on the door and you can see the naca ducts to direct air into the engine bay

IPB Image

heres the other side
IPB Image

IPB Image
Catorse
Not sure what you are looking for here. Those spots of exterior rust are pretty easily dealt with when repainting the entire body. Anything less than that makes them difficult to fix and match to the old paint.
SirAndy
As a general rule, you can only see 10% of the actual rust that is there.
icon8.gif

The hell hole is swiss cheese, you can see the large portion of the the floor pan that is already missing. It'll be *much* worse once you dig in there.

The spot behind the door handle is also a big red flag, that whole sections is toast and the rust most likely already extends into the inner sail panel.

The rear hood indicates a lot of moisture in the trunk, meaning your trunk floor is guaranteed to have plenty of rust as well.

There's a rustberg under that shiny paint ...
dry.gif
2mAn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2016, 12:55 PM) *

As a general rule, you can only see 10% of the actual rust that is there.
icon8.gif

Thats why I was nervous about the bubbling on the quarter, figured that inside that panel was going to be much much worse.

tip of the iceberg right?...
r_towle
Yup, it's a rustberg.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2016, 04:17 PM) *

Yup, it's a rustberg.

lol-2.gif .

But true.
Series9
Please pass on that one.
2mAn
Yea being a CA native Im willing to travel for the right one, but this one isnt it sadly... I was really tempted by some of the goodies the car had on it already.

Heres the entire car in case someone else is braver than I am.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1867680
NeunEinVier
Grind all of the acne smooth and spray the whole car with POR15? smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ May 24 2016, 02:06 PM) *

Grind all of the acne smooth and spray the whole car with POR15? smile.gif

POR 15 doesn't stick all that well to thin air (which is what the centers of those rust holes will be filled with after "grinding them smooth")
shades.gif
Mike Bellis
That's not an $8,000 914. That is a $40,000 914 after you fix all the rust... blink.gif

Driver's door rust is a big red flag. That's usually the last thing to rust.

Run Forrest, run...
r_towle
I bet that was an east coast, rust belt car.
Mike Bellis
This one looks better...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1931162
smarens
that 2nd one looks much better, what is up with the 1st saying it is a "turbo", didn't have picture that I could see
2mAn
The second is gone and the search continues... Im hoping to find something before the summer is over. hopefully things will align with what Im looking for and what I can afford. The really nice ones I want and wont need anything are over 30k and thats way over my budget. Theres a lot in the 10-20 range but its tough for me to start there.
Gunn1
QUOTE(smarens @ May 24 2016, 09:12 PM) *

that 2nd one looks much better, what is up with the 1st saying it is a "turbo", didn't have picture that I could see

We all know you cannot turbo a 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.