Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are the grey KYB rear shocks better?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ltd

Now that they are a different color.............are the new Kill Your Back shocks valved softer?

Source for Boge-Sachs rears?

Thanks for your reply, Brad
Bulldog9
Only if you want to Kill Your Back with grey shocks ;-)

I got my Sachs shocks (for a 912E) from Rock Auto on sale.

QUOTE(914ltd @ May 24 2016, 05:51 PM) *

Now that they are a different color.............are the new Kill Your Back shocks valved softer?

r_towle
QUOTE(914ltd @ May 24 2016, 05:51 PM) *

I don't know.
Now that you are more grey, are you softer, nicer, less aggressive?

I doubt KYB will ever stand for anything else.
914ltd

Too bad about the KYB. A lower priced alternative would be nice.

Thanks guys, I found some Boge on Ebay.

Brad
malcolm2
sounds like you have purchased...

So this reply will be for the next guy with the same question.

But to tell the truth, I can't tell much difference. I have had KYB and Bilstiens, using the same springs and I really can't tell the difference. I am a daily driver, no AX or much over 80mph and that is on the interstate. We have good roads in Tennessee.

driving-girl.gif
zambezi
IIRC there are two versions of KYB's available. GR2's and gas-adjust. The gas-adjust are the ones to avoid. The GR2's are standard oil filled, not gas charged like the gas-adjust.
JamesM
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 26 2016, 09:33 AM) *

sounds like you have purchased...

So this reply will be for the next guy with the same question.

But to tell the truth, I can't tell much difference. I have had KYB and Bilstiens, using the same springs and I really can't tell the difference. I am a daily driver, no AX or much over 80mph and that is on the interstate. We have good roads in Tennessee.

driving-girl.gif

Really!?!??! I swap out KYBs for Bilsteins any chance i get because there is such a noticeable difference to me. I just did one last week where the rear end was getting thrown all over the road due to the KYBs in back, you would hit a bump and the rear would start hopping all over the place and not always in a straight line. Its a 914 I am building for my wife and haven't let her drive it yet as the rear end hop was so bad it felt legitimately unsafe on a bumpy road. Swapped out for an OLD set (made in WEST Germany) of Bilstiens and now the car feels like its sucked to the road. I honestly dont think they were allowing any compression in the rear end at all, probably just as well off to bolt a 2x4 plank in their place.

That being said, I have 2 pairs of rear KYBs for sale for the low low price of nothing for anyone suicidal enough to drive on them.

I may be exaggerating, they may not kill you, but man they are stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif

To be clear, these are he Gas-a-just. I have never had the GR2s.
struckn
I replaced the KYB's Front and Rear with SACHS/BOGE and the ride is a lot nicer.
Bought them froma company found on EBay called Centric Parts. EBay showed several other venders to choose from. I went with the best price including cost of shipping.

One thing to remember when converting from KYB to any of the other manufacturers is that the KYB's have the intrical rear spring bottom support, where as the Sachs are designed to use the original factory disk that slides down the new shock. I didn't have the original disk (Rear Lower Spring Retainer/Perch) and had to source them out. Found used ones at dc Automotive www.dcauto.com at avery good price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.