Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
Has any one removed the full vinyl set and just painted it and left it that way?

Any pics?
worn
QUOTE(JFG @ May 25 2016, 06:52 AM) *

Has any one removed the full vinyl set and just painted it and left it that way?

Any pics?

You meant the sails? Yes, but most people, or at least many leave the trim on to cover the pinch welds. A quart of bondo would do that too I suppose.
Mikey914
Rust likes to hide in the holes at he base of the sail panel. Most remove as there usually is some degree of rust there that needs work.
worn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 25 2016, 07:32 AM) *

Rust likes to hide in the holes at he base of the sail panel. Most remove as there usually is some degree of rust there that needs work.

Yeah, and in the upper corners and around the air vent where it is foamed in... Ask me how I know.
JFG
I meant all three vinyl sections.

I have been lucky that the lower trim holes are rust free so no issues plug welding them.

It was the top cross member that concerns me the most. I just wanted to what it's like once filled over the seams.
r_towle
QUOTE(JFG @ May 25 2016, 01:42 PM) *

I meant all three vinyl sections.

I have been lucky that the lower trim holes are rust free so no issues plug welding them.

It was the top cross member that concerns me the most. I just wanted to what it's like once filled over the seams.

Cars are built and painted, all complete.
Then they added vinyl, so it should be all painted underneath.

Rich
era vulgaris
5 seconds spent typing in "porsche 914 painted sail panel" into google image search and you can immediately see at least two cars with the roll bar painted.
https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+914...bih=876#imgrc=_

Google is your friend for EVERYTHING!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.