Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa top insert repair technique?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
So one of the two inserts that holds the rear latch component has stripped out. Its a shallow insert too. I assume others have had to fix this and wonder what works best.

options
1-tap hole for a bigger screw, probably an American thread & Loctite it
2-use a dremel tool and remove existing insert, fiberglass in a new one
3-cross thread in an American bolt along with JB Weld, cut head of and make it a thread stud
4-???

ideas, thanks
Mikey914
Insert epoxy in hole and screw in a new bolt with mold release (or similar material).

It will screw out and is the easiest fix.
bandjoey
And I was going to say fill drill tap
Good fix
orbit398
Thanks guys - gave me some ideas and did a search, found a few things...

1-Pam® Cooking Spray is a quick and convenient adhesion preventer. Simply place the fastener on a paper towel and spray the threads, butter the threads with a bit of thickened epoxy so air isn’t trapped, push the fastener into the over-sized, partially filled hole and let the epoxy cure. Back it out after the epoxy hardens and now you’ve cast threads in the epoxy.

2-Another common household product that makes a decent mold release is Aqua Net® Regular Hold hair spray. It is nearly all Polyvinyl alcoho (PVA) and works well.

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/what-you-c...epoxy-to-stick/
76-914
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 26 2016, 06:21 AM) *

Thanks guys - gave me some ideas and did a search, found a few things...

1-Pam® Cooking Spray is a quick and convenient adhesion preventer. Simply place the fastener on a paper towel and spray the threads, butter the threads with a bit of thickened epoxy so air isn’t trapped, push the fastener into the over-sized, partially filled hole and let the epoxy cure. Back it out after the epoxy hardens and now you’ve cast threads in the epoxy.

2-Another common household product that makes a decent mold release is Aqua Net® Regular Hold hair spray. It is nearly all Polyvinyl alcoho (PVA) and works well.

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/what-you-c...epoxy-to-stick/

Great tip! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.