Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reverse light pin actuator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I know how the pin pushes into the switch already; but want to know what pushes the pin from inside the tranny.

My backup light will not come on when put into reverse if the car has not been running. After a drive, it comes on every time

Trying to figure out my next move to get it working all the time... smile.gif
stugray
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 25 2016, 08:29 PM) *

I know how the pin pushes into the switch already; but want to know what pushes the pin from inside the tranny.

My backup light will not come on when put into reverse if the car has not been running. After a drive, it comes on every time

Trying to figure out my next move to get it working all the time... smile.gif

If you unscrew the switch you can extract the pin and see how long it is.
Maybe it is worn out and so short it does not dependably push the switch until it gets warm??

I dont think oil will pour out, but not positive.
jcd914
It is the 1st/reverse shift rod that pushes the pin in.

But IIRC the switch actually closes when the pin is allowed to slide out.
When the shift rod is moved to the reverse position the pin is no longer pushed into the switch and the switch closes and turns on the lights.
The switch is probably full of old thick oil and does not close well until warm.

You can take the switch out and clean and test it.

Jim

Disclaimer: I could be was completely wrong confused24.gif
jim_hoyland
The switch is pretty new and works fine when tested out of the tranny; gonna explore the pin length next. Is it 28mm ?
r_towle
I recall two different length pins....tail and side shifter???
ejm
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 11:52 PM) *

I recall two different length pins.... manual or sportomatic

FIFY wink.gif .. The pins do wear. We make new ones from drill stock. I have the length at work but won't be back there until Tuesday.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ejm @ May 26 2016, 03:26 AM) *

FIFY wink.gif .. The pins do wear. We make new ones from drill stock. I have the length at work but won't be back there until Tuesday.

That will be good info before pulling it again; plus I have an old one in my parts box. The odd thing is the reverse lights always work after the car has been driven; they only fail when I start the car and put it in reverse. I've tested this many times inside the garage.

Thanks Ed
r_towle
QUOTE(ejm @ May 26 2016, 06:26 AM) *

Not sure what FIFY means , and I have never had a 914 sportomatic, but I have seen two different lengths and use the longer one....seemed to work for me at that time.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2016, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ejm @ May 26 2016, 06:26 AM) *

Not sure what FIFY means , and I have never had a 914 sportomatic, but I have seen two different lengths and use the longer one....seemed to work for me at that time.

FIFY = Fix it for you
jim_hoyland
Shot a pic of two pins I had previously used; Pin #1 used to be in the tranny, Pin #2 was one I had made from a rivet. Haven't measured the pin currently in the tranny
jim_hoyland
Well i’m visiting the pin replacement again. This time i’m Going to use steel rod stock.
Wondering if anyone knows the best length to make the switch work....
oakdalecurtis
I had the same problem. Pin must have worn down. I welded a smidgen of metal on the tip of the pin. A few strokes with a file to clean it up and it works perfectly now.
JeffBowlsby
This sounds like a perfect new product for Super Mark! The pin is hardened steel and NLA last time I checked.

Calling 914 Rubber...
914_teener
I bought one from Pelican....it was a couple of years ago though.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 5 2017, 05:08 PM) *

This sounds like a perfect new product for Super Mark! The pin is hardened steel and NLA last time I checked.

Calling 914 Rubber...

A rivet probably got worn down I assume, given the originals are hardened steel; 1/8 th looks like the pin size
76-914
Bruce Stone had a few last week.
Socalandy
They are available and have a bag of them at work. I’ll post in the morning
bdstone914
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 5 2017, 10:45 PM) *

agree.gif $7 new last time I checked.
t collins
I made one from a drill bit shank. Sorry, I don't recall the correct length ....
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(t collins @ Dec 6 2017, 04:07 AM) *

I made one from a drill bit shank. Sorry, I don't recall the correct length ....

Good idea; those shanks must be hardened steel.... smile.gif
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 5 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Andy, Interested in two pins..
Thanks,914/Alan
theer
I had the same problem.. bought a new switch and new pin, still nothing. I can see the pin move when shifting to reverse. I also bench tested the switch.

Has anyone confirmed there are two different length pins?
Socalandy
Here’s the digits
MartyYeoman
Can you also post the pin diameter?
Thanks, Marty
Socalandy
2.99mm

Don’t forget the slot for the E- clip if your making one. 17mm out on trans side, Long end

It retails for $7 so just order one!!!
914Toy
Followed Jim's advice. Found the old rod to be 28.3mm long. Cut a 1/8" drill bid with dremel cutter and ground it down to 29.5mm - carefully ground the groove to hold the spacer "thingy" - reassembled the switch into the tranny - "wallah"! Did not think 1mm would make the difference - thanks Jim beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 5 2017, 06:08 PM) *

Calling 914 Rubber...

If they can get for $7 and readily available, yes a little steep for what they are, but reasonable. Let me know if you find this not to be the case. As far as hardening. We have several techniques for hardening we can use, te only danger i see is that if it's much harder than stock, it could wear an internal. This may be a sacrificial part. However in all my years with a 914, I have yet to replace one.

Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have sold and used many many many of the pins over the last 40 years, they wear, they break, they are lost. URO makes a perfectly acceptable pin and it is very cheap. Unlike the factory part though they do not provide the clip but are in the future. We are glad that URO is a large enough company to make parts for these cars where small guys like Mark and we cannot afford to do so
UROpartsman
If anyone would rather not make their own, AA offers Activating Pin 901 303 017 02 for $3.75.

One minor correction to what George said; URO doesn't provide the little c-clip (since the original clip can usually be reused), but will start including the Activating Pin with Back Up Light Switch 914 613 541 02 in a couple months. The price increase for the switch+pin combo will be negligible.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 21 2018, 03:47 PM) *

If anyone would rather not make their own, AA offers Activating Pin 901 303 017 02 for $3.75.

One minor correction to what George said; URO doesn't provide the little c-clip (since the original clip can usually be reused), but will start including the Activating Pin with Back Up Light Switch 914 613 541 02 in a couple months. The price increase for the switch+pin combo will be negligible.

Nice , How long is the pin ?
Mikey914
I can make the pin for about $2 a pop in carbon steel. Easy part to just go to the lathe and knock out a few hundred. If I'm asked i will do it. Question how many want me to do this?
And yes I will include the clip at that price.
Larmo63
I can see Mark is getting geared up for this weekend's task:

Click to view attachment
Luke M
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2018, 09:01 PM) *

I can make the pin for about $2 a pop in carbon steel. Easy part to just go to the lathe and knock out a few hundred. If I'm asked i will do it. Question how many want me to do this?
And yes I will include the clip at that price.

If you make them, I could use 6.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 21 2018, 05:11 PM) *
Nice , How long is the pin?

URO Parts' pin length is 29.30mm, and has the correct dome shape on the follower end and the correct chamfer on the square end.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2018, 10:01 PM) *

Question how many want me to do this?

Honestly? It seems like there are already good, inexpensive options. I'd much rather see your time and talent going to produce more stuff we CAN'T get at a reasonable price. That said, if you had it in your catalog, I'd probably buy one as part of a larger order. beer.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 21 2018, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 21 2018, 03:47 PM) *

Nice , How long is the pin ?

Yours works, I tested it with a multimeter. Please tell me you are not having an issue with it. The length is as stated, about 29.3 (29-29.5mm)mm.

The c clip is rather superfluous and can be gone without.
UROpartsman
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2018, 10:47 AM) *
Yours works, I tested it with a multimeter. Please tell me you are not having an issue with it. The length is as stated, about 29.3 (29-29.5mm)mm.

The c clip is rather superfluous and can be gone without.

Sold just over 100 in the last year Dr. E, no issues whatsoever. Manufacturing these replacements isn't quite as simple as just chopping stubs off a round bar; we radius the follower end (just like OEM) because it needs to accommodate a bit of movement.

A URO pin is on the way to Jim Hoyland for his inspection and review, looking forward to his feedback.

Edit: Jim says, "Thanks for the follow up; the pin is perfect. Reverse lights come on every time."
jim_hoyland
I’ve used this pin for just over a year; car is driven daily, so I Used reverse frequently.
And i’m Glad; I used to get comments that my reverse lights weren’t coming on.
Recently, while backing out at Starbucks, a passerby commented my backup lights worked really good- and may have stopped a passing car from hitting the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.