Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 78.4 mm stroke for 2270 cc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Dear brains trust,

I see that one if the problems with stroking LS engines is the fact that the piston skirt comes out of the liner more than for non stroked at the bottom of the stroke. This in turn leads to more piston wobble on the upstroke, increased piston skirt wear and increased oil consumption.

Is this also an issue with the 78.4 stroke crank in a 2270 cc Type 4 engine?

Is that a reason for staying with the 2.0 standard 71 mm stroke and going for a 2056cc engine instead?

Thanks

Dave
Jake Raby
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ May 25 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Dear brains trust,

I see that one if the problems with stroking LS engines is the fact that the piston skirt comes out of the liner more than for non stroked at the bottom of the stroke. This in turn leads to more piston wobble on the upstroke, increased piston skirt wear and increased oil consumption.

Is this also an issue with the 78.4 stroke crank in a 2270 cc Type 4 engine?

Is that a reason for staying with the 2.0 standard 71 mm stroke and going for a 2056cc engine instead?

Thanks

Dave

It can be an issue, if you use a short (stock length) rod and some Pistons. If you use a 5.400" rod and a piston with a 1.112" pin height, or more, you'll be fine.
DaveO90s4
Hi Jake, thanks for your expertise. I'll contact the type 4 store and verify that their products meet that spec. Which for obvious reasons I'm pretty confident they will.

Now to find a complete engine to to the rebuild on (leaving my matching numbers engine un-tampered).

Thanks once again

Dave
Jake Raby
Yep, they sell what you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.