Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old school builds/Tried, true, tested....cheap trick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Much like my grandmothers recipe for Amish oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would have been lost forever if someone didn't take the time to write it down, it is similar that many of those on the site who comment or watch from a far have common sense low cost solutions to building a type 4.

Not really asking for your trade secrets or any self promotion, just common sense solutions that over the years have worked for you.

Primarily want to hear folks low tech, low cost alternatives for repairing or rebuilding the type 4 or the 914.

Anything as a permanent approved repair fix to a Macgyver fix that can get you by.

Anything that works well in combination that you figured out on your own or with someone else's help.

Again primarily looking for a dialog on low cost common sense technicis to type 4 repair and rebuild info.

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

SirAndy
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 25 2016, 08:06 PM) *
Anything as a permanent approved repair fix to a Macgyver fix that can get you by.

Old trick from my dirt bike racing days:

If you run lean and burn a hole into the piston, you can temporarily fix it by using a round flathead bolt and large washer and double nut it from below.

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 08:15 PM) *

If you blow up a piston and it leaves deep groves in the cylinder, you can fill those by adding oil to your gas and run the engine with that for a while. The groves will quickly fill with carbon and seal the rings. Obviously, you have to replace the blown up piston with a good one.

A mixture of 20:1 will work wonders ...
biggrin.gif
thelogo
I ll jump in here beer3.gif

If you need a motor ,you might find a 1.7 for dirt cheap

And everything else , if you dont break it

You wont have to replace it .

beer3.gif

Damn im thirsty beerchug.gif
DBCooper

Much like my grandmothers recipe for Amish oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would have been lost forever if someone didn't take the time to write it down, it is similar that many of those on the site who comment or watch from a far have common sense low cost solutions to building a type 4.

Not really asking for your trade secrets or any self promotion, just common sense solutions that over the years have worked for you.

Primarily want to hear folks low tech, low cost alternatives for repairing or rebuilding the type 4 or the 914.

Anything that works well in combination that you figured out on your own or with someone else's help.

Again primarily looking for a dialog on low cost common sense technicis to type 4 repair and rebuild info.

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

So now you're just gathering info so you can evaluate the alternatives?

Get in touch with Mark of Original Customs (username here McMark, you can search), ex-California and now somewhere that has snow, up near you. He's a nice guy, skilled, and will give you realistic and impartial information.

For general T4 engine conversation you can try the Shoptalk Forums, the Type4up, here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1 Probably all the information you could want will be there in one form or another, do searches. There are several other 914-specific shops/vendors or T4 specific engine builders, you'll begin running across their names, but Mark's a good one, I think anyone here will vouch.

Gunn1
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 25 2016, 10:29 PM) *

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

So now you're just gathering info so you can evaluate the alternatives?

Get in touch with Mark of Original Customs (username here McMark, you can search), ex-California and now somewhere that has snow, up near you. He's a nice guy, skilled, and will give you realistic and impartial information.

For general T4 engine conversation you can try the Shoptalk Forums, the Type4up, here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1 Probably all the information you could want will be there in one form or another, do searches. There are several other 914-specific shops/vendors or T4 specific engine builders, you'll begin running across their names, but Mark's a good one, I think anyone here will vouch.

Thanks for the info Coop, and I will follow up on it.

However, rather than throw out a specific question, I am simply looking for low cost common sense repair and rebuilding alternatives. You know something that works but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Or temp repairs which you wouldn't normally think of, but work long enough to keep you off the flat bed.

No evaluating going on here....just an attempt to get a look at how resourceful folks can be, get a great outcome and not spend a lot of dough.

Nothing devious and please don't hate because we get snow up here. Ha ha ha
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 11:18 PM) *

If you blow up a piston and it leaves deep groves in the cylinder, you can fill those by adding oil to your gas and run the engine with that for a while. The groves will quickly fill with carbon and seal the rings. Obviously, you have to replace the blown up piston with a good one.

biggrin.gif

Both of those are really so ugly I like them....
914bub
The coveted Amish Oatmeal cookie recipe please....... Some of us like cooking/baking piratenanner.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(914bub @ May 25 2016, 11:03 PM) *

The coveted Amish Oatmeal cookie recipe please....... Some of us like cooking/baking piratenanner.gif

10-4

I will post it tomorrow when I pull out the recipe box.....it's under all the Porsche stuff
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2016, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 11:18 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Both of those are really so ugly I like them....

They are but you are right I like them too
Mueller

Cheap tricks.

Thank you

Don't let it break would be the 1st on the list.

Besides used or hand me down parts to keep the cost down you could research what parts interchange with buses or other VW vehicles, I doubt you'll save that much but a few bucks add up here and there.

thread too vague, are we talking repairs to keep it running until a proper repair done or a fix that will be labeled DAPO?

Unless you buy stuff from JC Whitney, I don't see how a Type IV build can be done any cheaper than buying stuff from European Motorworks or AA Performance...of course if you have to rebuild the motor twice by being too cheap you might end up paying more in the long run.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds for someone bailing on a project is your best bet to save real money.
bandjoey
It fixes everything welder.gif
mepstein
* This is really the way to save big bucks on a car.

Keeping an eye on the classifieds for someone bailing on a project is your best bet to save real money.
rick 918-S
The bottom end of a type IV is nearly indestructible. If you are up to the task just do a top end rebuild. Most any machine shop can do valves and guides and seats as long as the heads aren't cracked. I made a resurfacing tool for touching up the surface where the head contacts the cylinder from a piece of MDF. Just stick a piece of 180 sand paper on it and turn it. Finish with 220. The sand paper is to just clean up the mating surface. I've used this method on several engines with great sucess. Low buck and it works.
EdwardBlume
Buy a known engine from a known person. The sum of the parts costs more than the whole.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 26 2016, 07:41 AM) *

The bottom end of a type IV is nearly indestructible. If you are up to the task just do a top end rebuild. Most any machine shop can do valves and guides and seats as long as the heads aren't cracked. I made a resurfacing tool for touching up the surface where the head contacts the cylinder from a piece of MDF. Just stick a piece of 180 sand paper on it and turn it. Finish with 220. The sand paper is to just clean up the mating surface. I've used this method on several engines with great sucess. Low buck and it works.

Now that's what I'm talking bout right there....

Great information, and using materials readily available for very little $'s

Thank you
Brian Mifsud
Rebuild only when MORE exhaust exits crankcase ventilator then exhaust pipe.. feed 1 quart oil per day...... BTW.. you were running too lean.....
Rand
Oh man, you're killing me, Andy. Needed this.

Bolt that piston hole shut. Use extra lock washers if you want it to last.

smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ May 26 2016, 11:04 AM) *
Oh man, you're killing me, Andy. Needed this.
Bolt that piston hole shut. Use extra lock washers if you want it to last.
smilie_pokal.gif

Done it more than once. biggrin.gif

Back then, there was only one dealer in a 50 mile radius that sold spare parts for our dirt bikes.
I'll never forget the owners face when i showed up there for the first time with my piston "fix". I actually rode the bike to the dealer, walked in and bought a new piston and proceeded to swap it out in the parking lot. He came out and watched me because he didn't believe me when i told him about the bolt fix.
aktion035.gif
Jake Raby
Carbureted or EFI? Which carbs?
Gunn1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 26 2016, 01:48 PM) *

Carbureted or EFI? Which carbs?

It can be related to either or any fuel delivery type system.

The only few criteria are....subjects are internal combustion and or 914 body style related

Got to be cheap fix, or outside the box fix(MacGyver) or unorthodox repair, rebuild hints.

Emphasis on cheap tricks and common man relatable.
r_towle
When you break the accelerator cable, tie off the throttle body at about 3500 rpms and you can drive it home like that.

When you break the clutch cable you can shift between 2-5 by timing the shift and speed matching the gears....basically accelerate, flip car into neutral and slowly use the gear shifter into the next gear, once the speed matches the gear properly it will allow you to push it into gear.

At the stop sign you need to turn off the car, put it in first gear, then when the light changes, you need to use the starter to get you moving and start the car in gear.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2016, 06:27 PM) *

When you break the accelerator cable, tie off the throttle body at about 3500 rpms and you can drive it home like that.

When you break the clutch cable you can shift between 2-5 by timing the shift and speed matching the gears....basically accelerate, flip car into neutral and slowly use the gear shifter into the next gear, once the speed matches the gear properly it will allow you to push it into gear.

At the stop sign you need to turn off the car, put it in first gear, then when the light changes, you need to use the starter to get you moving and start the car in gear.

I have done both of these "fixes" during my 38 years of owning a 914.

driving.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 26 2016, 09:17 PM) *

driving.gif

I had a 68 bug back in the day that I drove like this for over a year.

When I finally had money to fix it, I had forgotten how to drive it the "right" way
r_towle
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 26 2016, 10:17 PM) *

driving.gif

Notice how I said when, not if
TJB/914
QUOTE(914bub @ May 26 2016, 12:03 AM) *

agree.gif Also, deep dish Shoo-Fly pie. happy11.gif

Tom
914_teener
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 27 2016, 09:57 AM) *

Tom

agree.gif

Cough up the Amish Oatmeal recipe.........

That's of "Value" to me.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2016, 10:15 PM) *

If you run lean and burn a hole into the piston, you can temporarily fix it by using a round flathead bolt and large washer and double nut it from below.

biggrin.gif

aktion035.gif That is so punk rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvR7R6R1mDE
r_towle
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 27 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Tom

agree.gif

That's of "Value" to me.

If you have a panera near you they have a killer oatmeal cookie with cc, nuts, raisins, cranberries and more...... Really amazing
Gunn1
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 27 2016, 01:48 PM) *

Tom

agree.gif

That's of "Value" to me.

I do apologize for the wait but I had the recipe buried under all of my Porsche reading materials.

One other thing they are technically called Amish Peanut butter cookies, but they do have chocolate morsels/chips in them unless you like raisins you can substitute them for the Morsels.

Recipe is as follows;
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups quick oats
1 cup chocolate morsels or raisins

Cream the Sugars and Shortening.
Add eggs and peanut butter and beat very well.
Gradually add flour, salt, and soda.
Add Vanilla. Stir in quick oats and chocolate morsels or raisins.
Drop by heaping teaspoons onto cookie sheet
Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes depending on Oven.
Makes 5 1/2 dozen

Personally I like the peanut butter chocolate version the best. Don't make any substitutions (like butter for the shortening)to the ingredients or the cookies wont taste the same.

hope you enjoy them they are Great! Especially while working on a 914.....
Gunn1
Here is her Oatmeal Cookie Recipe, they are also great with a cup of coffee or cold milk. But they in my opinion aren't quite as good as her peanut butter oatmeal's from the earlier post.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups flour
3 cups oats )quick cooking/ old fashioned)

Cream shortening and sugars. Add egg, water, and Vanilla and eat until creamy.
sift together flour, soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture. Mix well, then stir in Oats.
Drop by heaping teaspoons on to greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-15 depending on Oven.

For a variation Granma would sometimes add, nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut.
Gunn1
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 27 2016, 11:57 AM) *

Tom

Here is her Shoo fly pie recipe....it makes 1-9" pie

To make the crumbs;
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon shortening
2/3 cup brown sugar

Cut together with 2 knives till crumbly, take out half of the crumbs and set aside.

For the bottom part;
1 egg barely beaten
1 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 9" unbaked pie shell

To 1/2 of the crumb mixture from before add egg and Molasses.
Add 3/4 cup boiling water, dissolve soda in remaining 1/4 cup and add last.
Pour into unbaked pie shell.
Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 40-45 minutes longer.

Make sure to get a piece before its GONE!
914_teener
Jake posted it already.

FI or carbs.

Thank for the cookie recipes. beer3.gif

Gunn1
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 27 2016, 10:33 PM) *

Jake posted it already.

FI or carbs.

Thank for the cookie recipes. beer3.gif

Sorry .....don't understand what Jake means by FI or Carbs?
arkitect
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 09:49 AM) *

driving.gif

3 members went in on a 70 teener bought in Modesto. Needed to get it back to Stockton...had the brilliant idea of driving instead of a trailer. At the time it was running but had not been on the road in years.

Half way back the accelerator cable bracket broke, so my buddy Lennine goes thru what we have finding a large band clamp. He clamped the cable to the coil and we were back on the road.

..ps It was a crazy trip, later we ran out of gas and towards Stockton the brakes were locking up on us.

Dave
Gunn1
QUOTE(arkitect @ May 28 2016, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 09:49 AM) *

driving.gif

3 members went in on a 70 teener bought in Modesto. Needed to get it back to Stockton...had the brilliant idea of driving instead of a trailer. At the time it was running but had not been on the road in years.

Half way back the accelerator cable bracket broke, so my buddy Lennine goes thru what we have finding a large band clamp. He clamped the cable to the coil and we were back on the road.

..ps It was a crazy trip, later we ran out of gas and towards Stockton the brakes were locking up on us.

Dave

Sweet!
rhodyguy
In a pinch and the proper hex socket is at home in the tool box, the right sized bolt and 2 nuts can be used to remove the trans fill/drain plugs.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 27 2016, 09:50 PM) *

Here is her Oatmeal Cookie Recipe, they are also great with a cup of coffee or cold milk. But they in my opinion aren't quite as good as her peanut butter oatmeal's from the earlier post.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups flour

sift together flour, soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture. Mix well, then stir in Oats.

For a variation Granma would sometimes add, nuts, raisins, chocolate chips or coconut.

Interesting, being of German back ground, and from Minnesota/SD as well, these recipes are identical to my grandmothers'- her sugar cookies were pretty awesome too
Gunn1
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 28 2016, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ May 27 2016, 09:50 PM) *

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups flour

Interesting, being of German back ground, and from Minnesota/SD as well, these recipes are identical to my grandmothers'- her sugar cookies were pretty awesome too

Hey......I know you!

Your mother and my mother were both Mothers!

Arrrgh, arrrgh, arrrgh.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.