Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh dear-here we go again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
I needed your help before and now we have a new issue. I have just about had it with the ongoing problems.
Mine is a 75, 2.0 with original FI. I dropped a valve seat and gave it to my garage to repair the head and replace all the valves. It all went back together and fired and ran but only for a very short time as all the cylinders ran rich and fouled the plugs.
So my take on this is that it can't be the injectors as they are not all likely to fail at the same time.
Perhaps it is something in the system that makes the injectors fire continuously? So could that be trigger points?
If you could give me any ideas as to why all the plugs might foul I will start looking at each one until I nail it.
Thanks Guys.
Richard pray.gif pray.gif
catsltd
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ May 26 2016, 09:49 PM) *

I needed your help before and now we have a new issue. I have just about had it with the ongoing problems.
Mine is a 75, 2.0 with original FI. I dropped a valve seat and gave it to my garage to repair the head and replace all the valves. It all went back together and fired and ran but only for a very short time as all the cylinders ran rich and fouled the plugs.
So my take on this is that it can't be the injectors as they are not all likely to fail at the same time.
Perhaps it is something in the system that makes the injectors fire continuously? So could that be trigger points?
If you could give me any ideas as to why all the plugs might foul I will start looking at each one until I nail it.
Thanks Guys.
Richard pray.gif pray.gif

My guess its a vacum leak.

Head gasket maybe.but for sure something is leaking,or not sealed right.
My FI had same problem with fouling plugs,but forgot what caused it.

I just got my 1.8L working like a new car,and clutch blew apart.
These cars take more patience than anything I have ever done.
r_towle
Sounds like when your valve seat dropped it may have blown too much back pressure through the intake and took out the MPS.

See if the MPS holds a vacuum....
porschefile2010
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 02:32 PM) *

Sounds like when your valve seat dropped it may have blown too much back pressure through the intake and took out the MPS.

Hmmm. There's a thought. I have a spare MPS so I could change that out and see what happens. Thanks
76-914
Agree with Rich or the MPS is unplugged.
TheCabinetmaker
Plus one on the mps
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ May 26 2016, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2016, 02:32 PM) *

Hmmm. There's a thought. I have a spare MPS so I could change that out and see what happens. Thanks

Just put a hose on it and see if it holds vacuum. If the diaphragm is blown, the ECM thinks the engine is under full load and goes rich.
Tom_T
Hi Richard,

I just sent you an email on this & the other info. you wanted before.

Again for those reading on here, if you've got a shop doing your work for pay who cannot diagnose & fix these issues, then you need a different shop more familiar with 914/411/412/Bus with the 2.0s IMHO! dry.gif

I mention the MPS noted above + FPR & ECU + bad rebuilt injectors possibilities, as well as possible problems if that D-jet was used & modified on your prior 2.4 that came on the car.

Tom
///////
Dave_Darling
MPS would be the first thing I would check, along with its hose.

Fuel pressure would be the second thing.

....Actually, in my car it'd be the other way around, because I have a fuel pressure gauge permanently mounted in the engine bay... wink.gif

After that, I'd be looking at the ignition system.

--DD
porschefile2010
Thanks to everyone. That'll keep me busy for the weekend. Appreciate all your advice.
R headbang.gif bye1.gif
Samuelrocky
The cold start valve malfunctioned on my 73 2.0 which caused extreme rich fuel mixture. Unplugged it and the car ran normally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.