Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap fire insurance that works
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
I have no financial incentive but I hate to see someone's pride and joy go up in flames (unless there's a really good insurance sett.....never mind biggrin.gif ).

Running carbs on my -6 has caused me more times than I can count to think about the likelihood of a fire one day. I saw this on a member's car here I believe and so I investigated it and it sure seems like a good idea to me.

Its called BlazeCut and its a 7/8" plastic tube of fire retardant liquid that when subjected to fire, bursts releasing the liquid which immediately becomes a gas and extinguished the fire, leaving no trace to harm paint, electricals, etc.

Where the tubing comes in contact with the supports on the underside of the lid, I wrapped some of the self-fusing rubber tape to provide some abrasion protection and then used a number of zip-ties to anchor it securely to the lid. The springs don't have the umph to lift the lid as before but that's really no big deal as a trade-off for the protection.

There is a video of a demonstration on a VW bus on-line. I installed the 3 meter version on my -6 and feel a lot better about it.

Click to view attachment

You can find the demo here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswau1mGBE8).
Wyvern
Very interesting .... thanks for sharing
PanelBilly
I re member seeing this before. Excellent idea. How nuch and where did you buy it
Coondog
Interesting product, but I think I will stick to my Fire Extinguisher.
Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 26 2016, 08:40 PM) *

I re member seeing this before. Excellent idea. How nuch and where did you buy it

Amazon. $ 128.00
PanelBilly
Got one on order. Thanks
worn
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 26 2016, 06:41 PM) *

I have no financial incentive but I hate to see someone's pride and joy go up in flames (unless there's a really good insurance sett.....never mind biggrin.gif ).

Seems like an ideal mounting location. Unless the fire is somewhere else. Advantage is you don't have to get close to the burning and it goes off soon and it doesn't hit you in the cabin. Nice.
SirAndy
idea.gif
KENNY
I post this video before .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswau1mGBE8 - Video Tube for YouTube - iPhone/iPad
Justinp71

Thanks for sharing! Nice and simple product, I like how it works automatically without anyone needing to get out a fire extinguisher or pull a fire cord. Smart idea.
Justinp71

FYI, the link for ebay is for 3', looks like the poster is using a 6' system.
patssle
Thanks for posting this! It's something you need that you didn't know existed. Immediately ordering one.
BuddyV
Almost seems too good to be so easy....... .HHmmmm....... dry.gif

...... still wondering why this is not more well-known.

Seems like I need (2).

beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Where you you put the second one?
db9146
I actually ordered a 3 meter unit and looped it around some. It fits just fine.
mangrum
Looks like a good solution for the type of fire demonstrated in the video. I would not rely on it exclusively, though. The only engine fire I experienced was in a 1967 VW Bus (21 Window - boy I wish I still had that car!). The fire was small and probably would not have set this system off.

Mike
Sleepin
What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswau1mGBE8
Chris H.
Dang that's good stuff. Gas fires are so hard to put out and the metal warps very quickly. Could save your car (and your garage/house maybe). By the time you realize what's up the hose would have already exploded in many cases.
VaccaRabite
Cheap insurance. I imagine those work by displacing the oxygen. Great for a bus where the engine is enclosed. But would it work for a 914 with a big engine grill?

Its one of those things that cant hurt, but would it really stop a fire in a 914? Or is the bay in a 914 enclosed enough that enough oxygen would be displaced for long enough?

Zach
JmuRiz
What's the shelf life for this stuff...how often does it need to be replaced?
Or is it good as long as the pressure is showing as OK?
smj
QUOTE(db9146 @ Sep 6 2016, 12:00 PM) *

I actually ordered a 3 meter unit and looped it around some. It fits just fine.

Was that the choice you made based on their volume figure of 0.7 m3 for the 2m/6' versus ~1 m3 for the 3m/9'?

I don't have a clear idea of the volume of the engine bay. Looks like a 2m/6' in the images of the 911 and Bug - but hey, if you can fit a larger unit why not?

Does seem like a neat solution... idea.gif
Mikey914
I'm playing around with a 914 specific version of these, I'll post as soon as I get it done. Should be just a few days. The real issue I can see is that we may have more airflow and that most of us have rain trays.
That and they're not all that "cheap"

oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 7 2016, 07:32 PM) *

I'm playing around with a 914 specific version of these, I'll post as soon as I get it done. Should be just a few days. The real issue I can see is that we may have more airflow and that most of us have rain trays.
That and they're not all that "cheap"

I just ordered mine. I guess "cheap" is relative. No rain tray in my car for cooler running, so installation should be easy peasy. I've already experienced a bad fuel leak once, fortunately no fire, but it made a great story though. I wrote about it on the thread linked below, on the last post at the bottom of the page , next to the yellow 914 avatar, if you would like to read an unbelievable 914 gas leak story:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=287908

I'd rather replace a few engine parts if this extinguisher is ever activated, than go up like a roman candle. Almost been there, done that!
mbseto
So I suppose this also would stop the engine due to lack of oxygen. If for some reason it put the fire out but the engine kept running, the driver might not know anything happened.
RickS
Thought seriously about buying one then remembered I have a Halon extinguisher and if that isn't enough, agreed value insurance.

Reading up on the product, it is made by Dow and is a replacement for Halon. If no extinguisher, I would buy it.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(db9146 @ May 26 2016, 07:41 PM) *

Running carbs on my -6 has caused me more times than I can count to think about the likelihood of a fire one day. I saw this on a member's car here I believe and so I investigated it and it sure seems like a good idea to me.

Its called BlazeCut and its a 7/8" plastic tube of fire retardant liquid that when subjected to fire, bursts releasing the liquid which immediately becomes a gas and extinguished the fire, leaving no trace to harm paint, electricals, etc.

Where the tubing comes in contact with the supports on the underside of the lid, I wrapped some of the self-fusing rubber tape to provide some abrasion protection and then used a number of zip-ties to anchor it securely to the lid. The springs don't have the umph to lift the lid as before but that's really no big deal as a trade-off for the protection.

There is a video of a demonstration on a VW bus on-line. I installed the 3 meter version on my -6 and feel a lot better about it.

Click to view attachment

You sold me, I ordered one for my 914. In regards to the weaker opening of the engine cover, take a look at a simple fix I used on my engine cover a while back, may help with yours, following link to post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=290514&hl=

GregAmy
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 7 2016, 11:52 PM) *

So I suppose this also would stop the engine due to lack of oxygen. If for some reason it put the fire out but the engine kept running, the driver might not know anything happened.

...and then it could subsequently re-ignite...that's a legit concern that I've given consideration to. However, without this device you'll still possibly not know, but with it you at least have a chance to both stop the fire and know about it. So "it can't hurt" and "it might help".
87m491
I'd agree having a hand held unit is a necessity in any cars this age, I have one in each of my drivers but I don't get the seeming hesitancy to have a cost effective "automatic" solution as well. Possibly "belt and suspenders" but losing your "pants" here is way more costly.

I could imagine a number of scenarios where the fire might start with the car relatively "unattended", i.e., multiple quick trip errands with many in and outs of the vehicle, or a run to a show where it catches a little after shutdown when temps spike. Actually any situation where it might vapor lock coupled with a leak somewhere that could ignite boiled fuel without a positive air flow to keep it just cool enough.

If you are not within arms length of the car and had held extinguisher, it's value pretty much goes to zero where and automatic unit keeps watch.
I'd also think it might warrant a bit of a drop in comprehensive insurance rates to help offset the cost.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 8 2016, 05:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 7 2016, 11:52 PM) *

...and then it could subsequently re-ignite...that's a legit concern that I've given consideration to. However, without this device you'll still possibly not know, but with it you at least have a chance to both stop the fire and know about it. So "it can't hurt" and "it might help".

burton73
This looks inserting. The loop of the longer one does not look good though.
I think the more expensive option of the 3-foot units but put two in. It would look much cleaner. One on the firewall and one on the area where the rear wall is to the rear trunk. If a guy was going to put one in his expensive 4 or 6 clean install wins the race and if your car can not burn, the better deal. Has someone tried to get a deal on these boys?

Bob B
oakdalecurtis
Not sure how long BlazeCut will last, but for those who doubt it's effectiveness, watch this short video. Fun begins at .46 seconds:
https://youtu.be/Kswau1mGBE8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.