Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slapshot914
Well so much for getting the teener running (again!). Put the car op on jack stands to change the oil and install a tuna can. Finally gave up on the tuna can, could not get the damn thing to seal, so I left if off. Cleaned out the screen and scrapped a quarter inch of gunk off the bottom cover. Put it back together and strated it up. Yea, no oil leaks. Damn, what's that leaking out of the car. Yup gas. I looked all over to see if it was one of the hoses, but no, it looks like the gas pump is leaking. Is that possible? Anyway, now aI know what I'm doing next weekend. I justified the 914 as my hobby, but I sure would like to drive it for more than a week at a time. Oh well, at least it didn't flame while I was driving it.
SLITS
There are "O" rings that seal the head...they could be brittle and cracked. See if the screws on the top are loose.
slapshot914
Thanks. I'll yank it off the car this weekend. The PO mounted the pump in a bad location. I'm going to move it so I don't have to take of the heater boxes to get to it. And, the leak is right in line with the exhaust. Like I said I'm glad I saw it when I did. I carry a fire extinguisher, but I sure don't want to have two parts cars. I have a spare pump on my parts car. So if I can't fix the one on the car I'll just replace. Any advise on where to mount the pump.
moneysmarts
Should relocate the pump to inside the front hood compartment. Tweeks aka Mid-America has a kit you can buy, which is mostly just hoses and clamps. If you PM me with your fax # I can send you a copy of the instructions that comes with the kit. It's pretty easy to do, helps with fuel filter changes, and will eliminate vapor lock.
slapshot914
moneysmarts. I just PM you my fax number. thanks
rhodyguy
f.i.? putting the pump IN the front hood compartment, luggage/spare tire area, is ill advised. where does the pump relocation kit put the pump? in the fuel tank well?

k
lapuwali
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 4 2005, 02:12 PM)
f.i.? putting the pump IN the front hood compartment, luggage/spare tire area, is ill advised. where does the pump relocation kit put the pump? in the fuel tank well?

k

The factory stuck it under the tank in a cubbyhole directly in front of the passenger's feet for '75. Lots of people mount them in the same place on earlier cars, too, which is basically next to the steering rack.

Lots of people also put it in the front trunk with no problems.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Apr 4 2005, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 4 2005, 02:12 PM)

k

The factory stuck it under the tank in a cubbyhole directly in front of the passenger's feet for '75. Lots of people mount them in the same place on earlier cars, too, which is basically next to the steering rack.

Lots of people also put it in the front trunk with no problems.

agree.gif Except its in front of the drivers feet under the tank.The front trunk is the only place for the fuel pump. Under the tank, just like the factory did in 75/76. They figured out the problem with the earlier location by then, and fixed it!!! Its easily accessible, and away from the horrid heat of the flapper valve dump to atmosphere. I speak from experience as an original 73 owner. Get that fuel pump out of the bottom of the engine bay!!!!!!!!!!
rhodyguy
techniclly, that would not be the "front trunk", that would be the fuel tank well. the trunk is where the tire is and where the luggage would go. this might seem like symantics, a loose tire and items potentially flying around near a pump and lines is not the safest path. esp the tool boxes we all seem carry.

k
Joe Bob
Behind the spare wheel well ....BEHIND the sheet metal under an access port.

BTW,,,carbs or FI?

Carbs...throw the pump out and buy a new one they are cheap...get the rotary one, lot's quieter.

FI...try and save it...not cheap....
moneysmarts
Here's mine.
Just followed Tweeks' directions.
Seems to work well. I suppose it could get banged, but it's fairly protected next to the secured spare.
moneysmarts
Pic 2
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 4 2005, 04:45 PM)
techniclly, that would not be the "front trunk", that would be the fuel tank well. the trunk is where the tire is and where the luggage would go. this might seem like symantics, a loose tire and items potentially flying around near a pump and lines is not the safest path. esp the tool boxes we all seem carry.

k

Well, if we're going to be technical, its spelled "technically" laugh.gif

Just kidding Kev.

Money smarts, your relocation will be just fine, afterall, your the one who packs the trunk right?
rhodyguy
curt, i looked it up in the drictionary first!! seriously. if WE'RE going to go a little spelling and grammar, i'll have a field day. THERE are people who better get THEIR ducks in a row, or THEY'RE going to be looking over THEIR keyboards twice. biggrin.gif

i remember someone bringing up the topic of suddenly pressuring the center tunnel lines, which haven't been pressurized outwardly before. plus 2 extra holes to drill and grommet in the rear wall of the "front" trunk. could be exciting!!!

k
rhodyguy
1. does. i'm counting now!! dry.gif

k
rhodyguy
2. signal. dry.gif

k
rhodyguy
3. won't. LET'S see what happens when i start opening threads. biggrin.gif

k
rhodyguy
no need for that. 4. its. i'll stop. i think you get my drift. cool.gif

k
TheCabinetmaker
Kevin, if your talking to me in your last few post, I think you need to call Redshift (sorry Miles), cause I have no idea what the fuck your talking about. I was just kidding (like I said). I'm certainly no grammar wiz, however, you better look up techniclly again, and BTW its Curt, with a capital "C" laugh.gif
rhodyguy
no offence taken. on either side i hope.

k
TheCabinetmaker
None at all my friend, or you would get one of those finger smilies. beer.gif
Joe Bob
And peopel tink SLITS is nutz.... screwy.gif
slapshot914
moneysmarts. I gave you the wrong fax #, and I just PM'd you the correct one. Thanks for the pix. I am interested in moving the pump forward, but I am concerned about adding pressure to the original lines going through the tunnel. Any suggestions? My car is fuel injected.

Gees guys, what happened to the thread? I step away and everyone went nuts. I reread some of my postings and decided I can't spell or type correctly either. And grammar; crap I think I graduated from high school, but you wouldn't know it from the way I write. Doesn't matter though, I had a problem with a fuel leak and I wanted some advice/help. I got it and thanks.

Now having said that, I had really had a good time reading your posts. What's important is that we can all have fun with the members of this club. If you can't have some fun here, I don't know, maybe buy ARP and stick your nose in the air.

slapshot914
moneysmarts, thanks I got you fax. It seems to me that if you fabricated a cover to protect the pump and lines that it would be a bit more secure. Your install pix are much clearer that the fax pix, so i'll download those. Still aconcerned about pressure in the old lines. I'm sure ther's a reasonable fix. Does anyone sell a kit?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (slapshot914 @ Apr 4 2005, 11:38 AM)
Finally gave up on the tuna can, could not get the damn thing to seal, so I left if off.

There was a run of those made that had the oil pickup tube extender a bit too long. I don't know the lengths of the "correct" one nor the "long" one, but hopefully someone can measure theirs... Anyway, having the extender pipe be too long will keep the can from sealing to the bottom of the crankcase, just as you describe. You might want to talk to whomever sold the setup to you and see if they are certain that this isn't one of the bad run of kits.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.