Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 track car V-8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roadsportusa
I have a 1973 914 body that I can't give away. So I decided to build and track car using chevy V-8 and stock trans.

Looking for advice

I have stripped the shell and getting ready to have it mega blasted.
Planning on making a sport racer track car only

Ron
cell267-230-8579
jimkelly
can't give away because too much rust? and don't have title?

let's see some pics.

why make a track car out of it vs a street car?

jim
green914
Let us see pictures ... agree.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
matthepcat
What type of track events or racing do you want to do? I would consider the type of racing you want to do before deciding on SBC with a 901.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 28 2016, 10:27 AM) *

welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
ThePaintedMan
Your question is far too vague to offer any other advice than this:

If you're going to track a car, invest in the very best safety equipment possible before dumping money into anything else. Harnesses, a fire bottle, a good seat, helmet and fully redone brakes and steering are a bare minimum IMHO. Even a lowly 1.7 Type 4 can pick up enough speed to be dangerous. A SBC will move the car fast enough that I personally wouldn't get in one at the track without a roll cage, plus all the other things that I mentioned.
jimkelly
my car, and note that most here would barely call it a car, has a 307 sbc v8, and on the street, at reasonable speeds from 25 to 65, it squeaks and rattles, like crazy. I bet a roll bar and a long stiff kit would help a bunch.

note: I usually run it with wheel and tires smile.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 28 2016, 10:25 AM) *

my car, and note that most here would barely call it a car, has a 307 sbc v8, and on the street, at reasonable speeds from 25 to 65, it squeaks and rattles, like crazy. I bet a roll bar and a long stiff kit would help a bunch.

note: I usually run it with wheel and tires smile.gif

Much quieter on the Jack stands.....these cars are always nervous when they're off their jackstands.... av-943.gif
mepstein
The shell will need a huge amount of work before it's safe to use on the track. When a car is too rusty to make a good road car, that doesn't make it a good candidate for the track.
dug
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ May 28 2016, 10:40 AM) *

If you're going to track a car, invest in the very best safety equipment possible before dumping money into anything else. Harnesses, a fire bottle, a good seat, helmet and fully redone brakes and steering are a bare minimum IMHO.

This advice is half right. You should definitely budget for the safety equipment, but definitely don't buy it first. Harnesses, fire bottles, seats, and helmets all have dates that expire. Plan your project, budget for these items, but buy the ones that expire at the VERY END, when you know everything else is done, or you'll end up buying them again a lot sooner than you want.

cheers,
dug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.