Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th Porsche, 1st 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JHop
Hello to the forum! My odyssey to find my 914 finally ended a few weeks ago after swapping a terminal '72 (bought sight unseen...yes I should know better) for a great 2 owner '72...thanks to Russ C. for taking the car (and my parts stash + cash) and letting me drive away with my new project...

So, it hasn't ran in 8 or so years, was garaged so ZERO rust, just needs a lot of "refreshing". I have it up on stands and am going to go through the brake, fuel and ignition systems before I fire it up again. Electrics seem to be ok, new battery is working fine. A few questions:

Where the hell is the fuel filter and pump? The Haynes manual is not very clear.

My car is a 10/71 build...is the air filter dry or oil based?

I did a search for factory manual pdfs...anyone have anything out there?

Ever since I sold my '85 911 Targa a few years back, I've been itching to get back into aircooleds again..my DD is a 997 coupe, but it's not the same.

Hope to be active in the forum and of course any help would be great. I'm going to be elbows deep this weekend!

John
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

look under the passenger side engine bay. Under the car that is...
GaroldShaffer
welcome.png

70 - 72 has oil bath filter
Gmanscott55
Welcome John! shades.gif
RickS
Great looking find. Keep us posted. Welcome
Cairo94507
welcome.png Great 914 John. I have a 997 C4S 6 speed. I have no emotional attachment to it. It is nice looking but really has no soul.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was driving - a lot of it comes down to the engine sound. If it is not air cooled it just does not quite do it for me.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

You'll be surprised how fun the 914 is compared to the 911. shades.gif
76-914
welcome.png Your not related to IHop are you? lol-2.gif Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
JHop
Thanks guys! Cairo, couldn't agree more...Porsche tries to make the new cars sound like the old, but it's not the same. I have a fabspeed exhaust on my 997 and it's sounds sweet, but I still love the air-cooled sound.

I've been lurking around the group for a while as I was searching for my car...hope you guys don't mind noob questions. I still don't see the darn fuel filter! smile.gif

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(JHop @ May 29 2016, 08:48 AM) *

Thanks guys! Cairo, couldn't agree more...Porsche tries to make the new cars sound like the old, but it's not the same. I have a fabspeed exhaust on my 997 and it's sounds sweet, but I still love the air-cooled sound.

I've been lurking around the group for a while as I was searching for my car...hope you guys don't mind noob questions. I still don't see the darn fuel filter! smile.gif

The fuel filter is under the tank. You should be able to see the hoses from under the car when you remove the suspension cover plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.