Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right Bank Runs Lean
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeekman914
My friend has a VW Baja with a stock 1600 bus motor dual port with stock solex and exhaust straight piping. I was wondering why the right bank is running lean and the left is running rich. and help is greatly appreciated!
nuke.gif crest.gif
ArtechnikA
look for a vacuum leak in the right intake manifold gasket area.

past that, i donno.

but you might mention how you determined that one side is rich and the other lean...

when you say "stock Solex" do you mean a single, centrally mounted single-barrel carburetor, or do you mean something else ?
SLITS
When you say "straight piping" are you talking the intake manifold or the exhaust?

If there is no restriction in the exhaust (bends, mufflers, etc) you could feasibly be "over-scvangenging" the cylinder on that side...meaning the intake charge is going down the exhaust pipe and not being trapped in the cylinder.
zeekman914
its a single solex and I will get some oictures tomarrow to show you. I will check the engine today in Autoshop. The exahust is straight piped for the most it comes out of the engine then curves to the right. I will show you later tomarrow
Thanks
Z
nuke.gif crest.gif
Jake Raby
If that side of the engine is running hotter head temps (due to crappy cooling system or poor cooling) it will run leaner..

Hotter = Leaner

The issue may very well be in the cooling system..
zeekman914
How would I find out head temp? He doesn't have a temp sending unit because the guy that had it before him just dropped the engine in. I do have a digital surface thermometer. Would that work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.