Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experiences with smoke testing machines on 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Hi all,

Tracking down vacuum leaks on the 914 is a source of frustration for many 914 owners.

It seems that smoke machines are increasingly popular for many shops
http://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/072003_04.pdf

I was curious if anyone has experience using them on the 914. Seems like a good way to seek and find plenum leaks or related.

Mueller
Never used one on the teener, use them at work once in a while to look for leaks on machines or electrical cabinets that we have to pressurize to keep them at a positive pressure relative the room they are installed in.

mgp4591
Used em on many a Honda. Usually on evap systems but if you pipe it in correctly, you should be able to detect almost any leak. Use a flashlight to highlight the smoke as it comes out of wherever - it really lights up much better for detection.
bretth
It is pretty easy to make your own. Some tubing, coffee can, something to smolder, and a compresser or similar to make around 5 psi. Helped me find an intake leak on my Hyundai that eluded me for years.

Brett
r_towle
Aside from the hosing adapters, the Halloween spooky smoke machines are a whole heck of a lot cheaper, and do exactly the same thing.

Rich
sb914
I've tried it smoke.gif
cary
There's a couple DIY's on You Tube. I built one to find a leak on a 4.0 Ford. Paint can, old red shop towel soaked in WD 40, a couple fittings and a paint gun pressure regulator.
Don't know why it wouldn't work on a T4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.