Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for you Californians...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Verruckt
I thought I read someone mention that in california a bill of sale is all that is needed to title a car if it was older than a certain year? The reason I ask, I have found a car but the owner says that he has lost the title, but has the paperwork to file for a new one. My situation is, that I would be applying for a title in Missouri. Is this going to be one big PITA, or should this be fairly straightforward as long as I have all my ducks in a row?
MattR
If he is the registered owner, all it takes is a form and like 50 bucks for a new title along with 6-8 weeks. Ive done it. Its EASY if he is the registered owner. When it gets difficult is when the person that has the car isnt the registered owner, then you have to get dmv records of their address to send a registered letter, but the DMV wont give you that information over the phone, etc.
lapuwali
You can get a replacement title in MO with just a bill of sale (BTDT). However, it would be much easier to twist the seller's arm into getting a replacement CA title (which is also v. easy to do), then sell you the car with the new title.
Verruckt
I'll find out if he is the registered owner (crossing fingers). I have someone that might be able to ppi the car for me, so hopefully this goes off without a hitch. Thanks for the replies. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
They are getting a LOT faster....2-3 weeks.

It also depends on how long it's been out of registration...if at all, if a non op was ever filed. If you have AAA or involve a title service...they can do it all at once.
Cap'n Krusty
50 bucks? $5-10, maybe. Not a big deal. Form REG 2000. Just be sure it's signed in all the right places, give it to the DMV and your title arrives in a few days. The CA DMV allows NO corrections, strike outs, or overwriting, and all the appropriate spaces MUST be filled out and the signatures need to be in the correct places. HTH, The Cap'n
Gint
BTDT! Have him get a title before you buy the car.
mk114
you can app;y for a bonded title in you home state ,

1. you have to have a cop come and verify thats it's not stolen
2. then go to your insurance and buy a bond on the car (ie 10,000)
3. then if previous owner comes looking for car he has cough up some heavy cash to get vehicle
skline
I just went through this, AAA no longer handles anything but registration and only some transfers. If there are any complications, they cant do it. This is new by the way, that is what they told me just a month or so ago.
TheCabinetmaker
I gotta agree with Gint. No title? No sale!
Midtowner
Well, my 914 wasn't registered in CA since 1988 - so long that the title fell off the DMV database. Never filed a Non-Op too. I paid about $120, filed for a new title, registration and even kept the old 'year of manufacture" plates! No penalties, late fees or other funny charges. On top of that, the DMV sent the title, registration and stickers two months early. clap.gif
Midtowner
Given my experience, I recommend to just go for it and be honest with the DMV.
Midtowner
Forgot to mention that this did involve a sale too.
SpecialK
Can't give any insight on your predicament, just curious where in MO you live......(you know, for getting spare parts happy11.gif ph34r.gif ), we're few and far between out here.

I'm close-ish to St. Louis.
Gint
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:55 PM)
I gotta agree with Gint. No title? No sale!

I've bought my share of cars from California and brought them back. Now I grant you that some states are more lenient than Colorado where DMV is concerned, but you haven't been pissed off mad.gif until you try to deal with California DMV over a title issue from out of state.
Verruckt
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 4 2005, 09:13 PM)
Can't give any insight on your predicament, just curious where in MO you live......(you know, for getting spare parts happy11.gif ph34r.gif ), we're few and far between out here.

Just east of Kansas City. Know of any good rollers on that side? biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Apr 4 2005, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 4 2005, 09:13 PM)
Can't give any insight on your predicament, just curious where in MO you live......(you know, for getting spare parts happy11.gif  :ph34r: ), we're few and far between out here.

Just east of Kansas City. Know of any good rollers on that side? biggrin.gif

Well Verruckt, I don't know of any "good rollers" east of Colorado! sad.gif

I got my solid as a rock '73 from a guy in Lexington, KY.....who got it from a guy in CA.

Unfortunately, the other two are slowly disintegrating as I type........friggin' midwest climate!

So, you've got one already (rusting apart), and just need a tub to swap parts to? Or do you need everything less the engine (roller)?

Dr. Roger
I bought a bike from an out of state person who did not have the title. Successfully.

AAA could not do it.

Ca DMV asked that I bring with me a returned letter, sent registered mail, attempting to contact the last registered owner asking for a title. This will show due dilligence on your part and proof to the DMV. Postal service said it is a legal stamp they put on the registered letter. wacko.gif

I did this on my current bike and the last known owner had moved. The registered letter was returned and had a stamp on it saying that.

The DMV also needed to inspect the bike to ensure there was no funny stuff with numbers on frame engine or license.

It worked out smoothly and took about a week and the cost of a registered letter.

Best of luck.
Verruckt
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 5 2005, 12:21 AM)
[QUOTE=Special_K,Apr 4 2005, 09:13 PM]Well Verruckt, I don't know of any "good rollers" east of Colorado! sad.gif

I got my solid as a rock '73 from a guy in Lexington, KY.....who got it from a guy in CA.

Unfortunately, the other two are slowly disintegrating as I type........friggin' midwest climate!

So, you've got one already (rusting apart), and just need a tub to swap parts to? Or do you need everything less the engine (roller)?

Yeah. I have a line on two parts cars here. But they are swiss cheese. I pretty much gave up a few months ago on finding anything around here worth driving. Just going to head west. biggrin.gif Or south biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a structurally sound roller. Or as structurally sound as possible. Im not worried at all about the interior, or enging/trans. I'm not planning on a concours car.
campbellcj
We just had to do this on the wife's car in December when the former lienholder LOST the title they were holding and supposed to release to us. The fee was $15 IIRC and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. I think overall the CA DMV is pretty darn efficient these days, for a gub'mint agency. Hell, I haven't even waited in a DMV line in 5+ years, where before a trip to the DMV was about one click above going to hell.
rick 918-S
I f#@^*ing hate title problems. I just sold the MGA on ebay. The buyer turns out to be a dealer in B.C. He askes me to fax him a copy of the title because he has to clear the car through customs in advance. Then he calls and say's the vin # on my title is actually the engine number. He was very knowedgable. He knew right away the the engine number sequence matched the original engine series and did not jive with the numbers usually on a 1959 chassis. Honestly I never realized there was a difference. Or for that much ever cared. But this dealer knew. And knew he couldn't get the car across the border with the mis-matched numbers.

1. I listed the same vin. number in the ebay ad as is on the title. Which I found out last night is actually the number off the original engine.

2. I stated in the ad that the car had a non original 1800 motor.

3. Based on what the dealers special knowedge was do you think he should have bid on the car?

4. This is a screw up that goes all the way back the original sale of the car in California in 1959.

Because he bid the car up over the reserve we had to pay the fee for selling the car.

I think I'm going to give him back his $ 500.00 and tell him to go pack sand. flipa.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah....the 356 crowd complains about it all the time. Get a VIN verification at the DMV and get a new title....may take a while but it will get done.

So no more excuses about coming to the WCC right? biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 7 2005, 06:56 AM)
Yeah....the 356 crowd complains about it all the time. Get a VIN verification at the DMV and get a new title....may take a while but it will get done.

So no more excuses about coming to the WCC right? biggrin.gif

Ya, But the dealer wants to come that weekend. And If I can't straighten out the title in time it's a no sale! mad.gif Just another forced fornication! screwy.gif
Joe Bob
Well get over to the Motor Vehicle Departement and see what they can do....maybe they can have a certified abstract of the title that shows the former "VIN" was an engine number....the customs weenies might accept it.

After all....it's just PAPER.
rick 918-S
Ya, I have a copy of the registration from california showing the chassis number. So it may be a MN screw up during the transfer. I'm on it but I hate that crap!
Joe Bob
SEEEEEEE A SILVER LINING.....

Still got the CA plates? Lose the MN stuff and give him the CA stuff....
rick 918-S
idea.gif interesting...
Joe Bob
That was an easy one Rick....must be cold cause it sounds as if yer brain be frozen.... blink.gif

Good luck.

Just tell them it's been in storage and that it was never registered in MN....
Dr. Roger
Hey Z,
Nice. wink.gif
F-in' DMV sometimes...
Toast
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 04:39 PM)
They are getting a LOT faster....2-3 weeks.  

It also depends on how long it's been out of registration...if at all, if a non op was ever filed.  If you have AAA or involve a title service...they can do it all at once.

Z,

It took my mom in Utah 7 months to get a title from California from a Lien sale!!! mad.gif They tags were only 3 months expired.

MattR,
A duplicate title application is only $10, not $50!!!
blink.gif
Toast
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Apr 4 2005, 08:06 PM)
Well, my 914 wasn't registered in CA since 1988 - so long that the title fell off the DMV database. Never filed a Non-Op too. I paid about $120, filed for a new title, registration and even kept the old 'year of manufacture" plates! No penalties, late fees or other funny charges. On top of that, the DMV sent the title, registration and stickers two months early. clap.gif

I had the same situation with 89 tags!

Except the Cali DMV said I could not keep the old plates, they had to issure new ones. sad.gif I really wanted to keep the old blue plates......oh well.

Verruckt,

I would HIGHLY Reccommend getting the title first! It is wayyyyyy too much hassle to do it by mail from another state. And remember, each time you send Cali DMV paperwork, it takes 6-8 weeks for them to respond! So if they get something and you forgot to check a box...........so on and so on. headbang.gif
MattR
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 7 2005, 10:22 AM)
MattR,
A duplicate title application is only $10, not $50!!!
blink.gif

Well, seeing as how I'm an engineer in training my rate is 40 bucks an hour to use my brain. So, if it takes me an hour to figure out the form, send it in, and drop it off at the post office, $10 + $40 = $50 biggrin.gif

By that logic the board should owe me millions...

Seriously, I havent done this in a while. I said $50 so if it was $10, its like finding $40 bucks in your pocket. I knew it wasnt too expensive, but just enough to piss you off.
rick 918-S
up date: went to the local DVM today. Doesn't look good for the local title correction. She took my info, called someone, took my number, and told me they would call me in 10 to 12 weeks! mad.gif I hate the DMV! mad.gif I called the buyer. He's talking about having a title service fix or make a new title... unsure.gif If he buys the car who cares. confused24.gif
Joe Bob
So...the CA registration and such won't work for him?
rick 918-S
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 7 2005, 03:20 PM)
So...the CA registration and such won't work for him?

I don't think so mike. I looked at the old registration card. (the one that you carry in the car) It had the engine number on it too! I do have a non-op form that has the correct number on it. So I think I'm going to just give him back his deposit. This whole thing wouldn't matter if the vehicle wasn't being sold out of the country. Who cares if the car has the original motor anyway! Sheeez!

I had a guy email me from wisconsin and offer to purchase the car if the deal falls through. So we'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.