Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yikes! Need Guidance !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beebo Kanelle
My engine developed a tapping noise so, I pulled the valve covers to check the clearances.

I was greeted with items shown in photo 'Big Problem 01'. It turns out that the spring washer that controls the rocker arm geometry has failed and the rocker arm has moved as shown in 'Big Problem 02'.

My temporary solution is to remove the rocker arm assembly and replace the spring washers.

Are There any problems with this solution?

Does anybody have the specs for these springs washers?

Thanks in advance.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
michael7810
I don't have the specs for the washer but there should be plenty of them used available. Many builders replace the spring/spacer with a wider spacer from the Type 4 Store to tighten up the rockers. I have that setup and have not had issues in the 15K miles on the engine.
Mark Henry
It looks to me like you have a hydraulic solid spacer in there.
If so use extra solid rocker washers and toss the spring washers, clearance doesn't have to be perfect, up to .015" or so is acceptable slop.

I've used this set-up many times on performance engines with good results.
Beebo Kanelle
Thank you !

I'm on it today.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Beebo Kanelle
Now it gets weird...

I went to the local VW/Porsche dealership to order the wavy spring washers and was told the were discontinued in 2009. Ok, no problem - just get on the interwebs for a p/n113-109-437 - (I got the p/n from the dealer).

Received them and it turns out that the ID = 18.5mm and my old rocker arm shaft washers have a ID = 20.6mm !

I suppose that there are two types of rocker arm shafts ?

Can anybody clarify my dilemma before I jump off a building?

On top of everything else, its flooding down in Texas and I really want to get this solved.

Thanks !

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.