Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans/shift bushing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
So I have had problems shifting lately so I got the bushing kit from AutoAtlanta. I am following the 914 forum on this and mine does not look like the one he is working on am I missing something or is there a difference in the two?? (72 tailshift)
Click to view attachment
porsche-tom
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ May 30 2016, 10:07 AM) *

So I have had problems shifting lately so I got the bushing kit from AutoAtlanta. I am following the 914 forum on this and mine does not look like the one he is working on am I missing something or is there a difference in the two?? (72 tailshift)
Click to view attachment

1st picture shows an original tail shift converted to side shift.
porsche-tom
I might be misinformed I thought this was a tail shift??
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ May 30 2016, 10:48 AM) *

I might be misinformed I thought this was a tail shift??
Click to view attachment

yes sir u have a side shift now. and try to move the ground strap which is suppose to be at the top of the tranny
porsche-tom
Well I guess that's good news. Apparently I have a frankincar. I have one last question how is the shifter removed (again mine looks a little different) you have been very helpful.thanks
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 30 2016, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(porsche-tom @ May 30 2016, 10:07 AM) *

Click to view attachment

1st picture shows an original tail shift converted to side shift.

It looks like the ujoint is damaged. You may need to get replacement bushings or a new shift rod
gereed75
That is a stock shifter with the Weltmiester short shift kit. The shift rod that goes through the tunnel can be removed from the shifter by loosening the 13mm hex head pinch bolt just behind the shifter. This bolt will be posisitioned vertically and accessed through the opening on the back of the shifter just ahead of the heater lever.

Loosen that bolt and pull the shifter aft. The rod will fall out of the arm under the shifter.

It does look like you need new bushings in your U coupling. While at it, also replace the one back in the shift console. All of these are available from the Pelican, 914rubber or Tangerine Racing.

Install the new bushings and reassemble. There should be multiple threads showing how the reassembly and adjust is done. You will need to remove the console box between the seats and remove the single screw holding a roughly 4" square assess cover to get it done. Good luck. Not a hard job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.