Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Washed it, now it wont run.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarclay
Sat. I washed my 73 2.0. f/i. After I dried it off it wouldnt start. It cranks over fine but no run.... I then noticed I did'nt hear the fuel pump buzz. I waited a bout 30 min. and tried it again. I heard a little buz and it tried to start but would not. I let it sit 30 min more and when I tried to start it it was as it the timing was to far advanced and would barely turn over. Since then I have charged the battery, and put a timing light in each plug wire. I would get inter. light on some and none on 2 cyls. I am getting fuel in the cyls. as I can see and smell it when I take a plug out. Someone help out this poor old v-8 muscle car guy get this car running for his wife.....

jarclay@swbell.net
grantsfo
Did you pop off the dist cap and dry the inside off?
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Apr 4 2005, 06:18 PM)
Did you pop off the dist cap and dry the inside off?

agree.gif trigger points got wet ...

cool.gif Andy
JoeSharp
Sometimes water gets on the dist. shorting the spark on the dist cap. I run a GT engine lid and wash my car, but I use electrical tape to spriral rap the plug wire to the dist cap. start with the coil wire and do them all, takes about 45 minutes start to finish.
If running carbs with out rain hats you could be getting water into the cyelenders.
biggrin.gif Joe
SLITS
See, this just proves that German's don't like baths!
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 4 2005, 06:24 PM)
See, this just proves that German's don't like baths!

who told you that? huh.gif
JoeSharp
ROTFLMAO laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
laugh.gif Joe
Joe Ricard
NEVER NEVER NEVER did I say NEVER. spank.gif Wash you engine unless you can keep the water out from where it don't belong. slap.gif
Distributor
computer
relay box
any electrical connector *theres lots of them.

I wet rag with some spray cleaner. about it. rinse with wet rag. Then dry dry dry. alfred.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Being a v-8 type guy, I'm sure you checked for fire? It really ain't that much different from a 50's or 60's style ignition set up (cept for the FI trigger points). The injectors are fired in pairs, so I'm leaning towards the water in the diz theory also.

By the way, welcome to the club.
Aaron Cox
another reason carbs are mo' betta'

just use rainhats.... lol2.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 4 2005, 08:34 PM)
another reason carbs are mo' betta'

just use rainhats.... lol2.gif

That is an opinion, not a fact. Don't mislead the noob. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Try blowing any moisture out with compressed air after you take the dizzy cap off...
seanery
I always wash mine with the engine warm, I know it may sound excessive, but the water won't pool around as much when it's hot/warm.
SLITS
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 07:52 PM)
Try blowing any moisture out with compressed air after you take the dizzy cap off...

It is a well known fact that Z doesn't own a compressor idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 4 2005, 06:57 PM)

yeah, but he doesn't own a water hose either, so he never get's to the point of needing the compressor ...

biggrin.gif Andy
SLITS
Two key words in his case....

blowing

lipzz
JoeSharp
Jarclay: I hope you enjoy this, I'm rolling on the floor. Dood, welcome to the club. I used to have the same prob with my 1.7 with on rain cover. Washing the car at the local car wash was embarassing. Cough, sputter, and they could never find first. Taped the plug wires to the dist. cap and on more cough, sputter.
Now where is a picture of your car???????? thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
biggrin.gif Joe
Joe Bob
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 4 2005, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 07:52 PM)

I actually have three, needledick.....four if you count the cheesy 12 volt one in the Porsche.....you prolly woul use it as a martial device..... flipa.gif

220v in the upper garage with an inline dryer and knockout pot......the 110v used for the track, and the contractor one I use for nail guns....I even have a NO2 bottle for use in areas w/o power...like yer house trailer boy..... bootyshake.gif
John
For a wet distributor and or cap, I always use WD40. That is what it is "Water Displacement".

Take the rotor off, use compressed air to dry it, spray it with some WD40, wipe off the excess, and put it back on.

You could also spray the points. If there is water on the points, it could be as if the points never open.

just my $0.02

Did you run the water hose directly into the engine compartment?

You may need to dry off the relay board as well.
grantsfo
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 4 2005, 06:54 PM)
I always wash mine with the engine warm, I know it may sound excessive, but the water won't pool around as much when it's hot/warm.

biggrin.gif Classic 914 and VW trick. ...Some of us wash with the engine running.
Dave_Darling
Classic 914 and VW trick. ...Some of us wash with the engine running.

Yeah, and that doesn't always work... Last time I washed my car was with the engine running. Tried to move it after that, got about 10 feet and it died. Took ~10 minutes drying off the distributor and relay board before it decided it wanted to run again. I think not having the cover on the relay board was what really did it, though.

--DD
jarclay
Wow,
You guys are great. Thanks so very much for all the advice. I really only washed the car not the engine but
apparently I still got some water in the dist. and on the relay board. Funny but under the dist. cap was dry I checked it on sat. when it wouldnt start but when I used compr. air I think I saw some mist come out of the dist. Also the fuel pump relay either had a bad conn. or was wet.
When I tried to start it 2 days later I go no f/p buzz.
I took off the relay cover, it was dry and then pulled the relays and when I put them back in buzz..... and it started up. Once again thanks so much for your help and esp. to you guys who welcomed me to the club.
Now, how do I remove this topic so I won't get in trouble with you or get "NAILED"

Thanks again,

newbie James Barclay
Dallas ,Tx.

68 r/s Camaro 327/325
69 vette 350/350
TheCabinetmaker
No reason to remove it. It'll show up on someones search and maybe answer their question as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.