Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimN73
Sometimes, fairly often, the starter motor turns over slowly and may (or may not) speed up after a second or so. The engine starts. 30 seconds later, it may fire right up.

Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is warm or cold.

The starter has one of McMarks magical relays.

I've checked the grounds and the wiring - all is tight. So the ignition switch seems to be the last optin.

Anyone seen this before?

thanks,
76-914
I think you can rule out the switch if McMark installed a relay at the starter. What kind of shape are your cables in? Check both battery cables and your ground strap on the trans
beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
Just my experience for reference: I replaced my ignition switch about 18 months ago with the cheap replacement. Within a few months I could "feel" that it was harder to start. Specifically, I had to turn the key a certain way, and it was exhibiting symptoms similar to what you describe. Then I installed a hot start relay like you have (I believe) about 6 months ago hoping it would prevent total switch failure. Two weeks ago, however, the switch crapped out. I don't know if the damage had already been done before I installed the relay, but even with the relay the switch failed.

The good news is that a cheap replacement is less than $10 and it now takes me only about 30 minutes of time to install. So it may still be worth the effort to purchase and install a new ignition switch if you have doubts. It may otherwise leave you stranded at some point.

I think a hot start relay helps but doesn't necessarily prevent ignition switch failure. Again, just my experience.
JimN73
thanks. I have a spare switch in the parts box. But, its a real PITA to replace it, so it slides down the list of things I want to do.

Tomorrow.

BeatNavy
QUOTE(JimN73 @ May 31 2016, 10:08 PM) *

But, its a real PITA to replace it, so it slides down the list of things I want to do.

Tomorrow.

I thought the same thing as the switch was apparently dying. Then when it totally crapped the bed I had no choice. I was pleasantly surprised how quick I was able to do it (granted, it was the second time I did it, but still, 20 to 30 minutes wasn't bad).
jcd914
If the issue is the speed (RPM) the starter turns the engine over at, then you can rule out the ignition switch and hot start relay. The ignition switch and /or hot start relay only control the engagement voltage to the started solenoid. So if the starter turns over the ignition switch has done it's job.
It has no impact on the speed at which the started turns. The current to drive the starter motor flows through the solenoid.

The speed the starter turns at is dependent on the ability of voltage and amperage to flow through the starter. How much voltage and amperage is required depends on how much work the starter is trying to do.
So something is limiting the voltage and/or amperage or the starter is having to do more work than normal.

Have you disconnected the battery cables and cleaned the connections?
Have you disconnected and cleaned the ground connections?
What is the condition of the battery?
Does the starter make abnormal noise? grinding, rumbling?
The starter bolted tightly in place?

Jim
TheCabinetmaker
Classic sign of starter armature being dirty or glazed. Probably time for a starter refresh.
barefoot
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 1 2016, 02:29 AM) *

If the issue is the speed (RPM) the starter turns the engine over at, then you can rule out the ignition switch and hot start relay. The ignition switch and /or hot start relay only control the engagement voltage to the started solenoid. So if the starter turns over the ignition switch has done it's job.
It has no impact on the speed at which the started turns. The current to drive the starter motor flows through the solenoid.

The speed the starter turns at is dependent on the ability of voltage and amperage to flow through the starter. How much voltage and amperage is required depends on how much work the starter is trying to do.
So something is limiting the voltage and/or amperage or the starter is having to do more work than normal.

Have you disconnected the battery cables and cleaned the connections?
Have you disconnected and cleaned the ground connections?
What is the condition of the battery?
Does the starter make abnormal noise? grinding, rumbling?
The starter bolted tightly in place?

Jim

I just had a very similar problem, light load electrical stuff worked OK, but starter would not run at all. It was a poor ground connection at the battery terminal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.