Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relays -Are they all the same?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Hey guys,

Still trying to figure this 914 out. It turns over but will not start. I noticed a couple of fuses missing and 2 relays. I got fuses on the way. When I got to Pelican Parts, all I see is 5 pin relays. Not for specific things. Do these all work the same? I also have a lot of lines not connected to their specific locations. Got to put those back.

Thanks,
Jason
SirAndy
The round 5 prong relays are all the same, including the ones for the headlight motors.
smile.gif
surfdogskier
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 31 2016, 09:34 PM) *

The round 5 prong relays are all the same, including the ones for the headlight motors.
smile.gif

Thanks! Time to order a few.
914Sixer
Put a WTB and pick up some used ones. They rarely good bad unless they went for a swim. No need to pay stupid prices for new ones. Most sell for about $5 each used
surfdogskier
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 31 2016, 10:21 PM) *

Put a WTB and pick up some used ones. They rarely good bad unless they went for a swim. No need to pay stupid prices for new ones. Most sell for about $5 each used

Is there a way to test if one is bad? I found a couple in the floor board under the passenger seat. One was crushed. I assume they were bad.
Dave_Darling
There are some (from other cars) that are different colors; I believe they denote different current capacities. The wiring and how they work is all the same.

Checking the relay:

Check for continuity between pin 30 and pin 87a. Should be there. Check for continuity between 30 and 87. Should not be any.
Put 12V on 85, ground 86. Check for continuity between 30 and 87. Should be there. Should not be any between 30 and 87a.

--DD
Wyvern
I got a tip here about checking the relays using the headlight.
It is a quick yes / no test.
If you are missing the 2 fuses in the engine bay relay board (or at least the one that powers the fuel pump)...it will not start.
I replaced both of those with correct amp circuit breakers.

914Mike

The continuity between pin 30 and 87A is only used by the headlight motors as a brake.

This is a good way to test the relay:

Headlight goes up: good coil, good contact between 30 and 87.

Headlight stops where it should and does not just keep going up and down: Good contact between 30 and 87A.

In a pinch you can swap one from the relay board into a headlight socket if the light won't stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.