Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivetrain drop in folding car...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tbone425
Looking for some advise on dropping eng/trans in a car that is soft in the middle. For obvious reasons I don't like the thought of having any part of me under it. Here is what I was thinking, I might lift the back, Jack stand and wood block every hard point. This would give me some safety...at least to some degree while I made all of the enderside disconnects.

Then I thought I would remove the rear wheels, slide a pallet under and then drop the car down over the pallet and remove the entire package including suspension and trailing arms. I figured that I could also cut it out from the top if needed, as the body is gone.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks folks!
r_towle
If the body is junk, cut both rear tranny bolts from behind with car on ground.
Cut front engine mounts and inner suspension mounts from above
Cut out suspension mount from beside the car
Remove upper shock bolt
Lift car off motor
Cut shifter rod of required
Lift car, drag motor out from behind

Been there done that
Tbone425
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 31 2016, 07:22 PM) *

If the body is junk, cut both rear tranny bolts from behind with car on ground.
Cut front engine mounts and inner suspension mounts from above
Cut out suspension mount from beside the car
Remove upper shock bolt
Lift car off motor
Cut shifter rod of required
Lift car, drag motor out from behind

Been there done that

Sounds like that might be the best route. Don't trust being in this rig...let alone under it.
injunmort
having just done this. the car i cut up, folded over as soon as i lifted it. i set it back down, removed the rear glass. i jacked up the back of the car under the bump to get more or less level. i used two tie down straps from the targa bar to rear bumper to stabilize it then removed the engine, trans etc as normal. just as precautions, when i worked under the car there were jack stands under suspension and rear bumper.
EdwardBlume
I use 10x10 wood blocks under the wheels. Lots of room for floor jacks and lowering the motor.
r_towle
I cut the car in half first....right in front of the firewall.
rgalla9146
If it breaks at the jack point area I'd use four jackstands.
Two under the body at the front engine bar mounts and one at each rear corner.
If the front remains on the ground that's just fine.
Remove the drivetrain in the conventional way safely.
Sawsall work is often unsafe and unpredictable.
My .02 cents
Gunn1
Just did this on one of my 72's

Jacked the vehicle up with 8x8x 6 foot long box stock running long wise, one end
Cribbed with 2x4 under crankcase the other end engaging central part of the floor board (directly under tunnel where fuel line runs) set jack stands at rear jack points or wherever you can find some meat in those areas.Then after car is high enough place 10x10x 30" cribs, lower car until the tires are sitting firmly on the cribs, adjusting jack stands accordingly as you lower the car. The idea here is to support the area that is folding.
All of this also takes place with the front wheels on the ground and chocked. The rear tires up on the cribs should also be restrained from rolling as well.

Once you have this completed take the Jack and long box section out and remove engine / tranny as normal.

After completing the drop... individually lift one side enough to pull the jack stand out and put a car ramp under the tire on that side. Then do the same thing on the other side.
Unchock the front tires and with a little push the car will roll right down the ramps.
Tbone425
QUOTE(OU812 @ Jun 1 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Just did this on one of my 72's

Jacked the vehicle up with 8x8x 6 foot long box stock running long wise, one end
Cribbed with 2x4 under crankcase the other end engaging central part of the floor board (directly under tunnel where fuel line runs) set jack stands at rear jack points or wherever you can find some meat in those areas.Then after car is high enough place 10x10x 30" cribs, lower car until the tires are sitting firmly on the cribs, adjusting jack stands accordingly as you lower the car. The idea here is to support the area that is folding.
All of this also takes place with the front wheels on the ground and chocked. The rear tires up on the cribs should also be restrained from rolling as well.

Once you have this completed take the Jack and long box section out and remove engine / tranny as normal.

After completing the drop... individually lift one side enough to pull the jack stand out and put a car ramp under the tire on that side. Then do the same thing on the other side.
Unchock the front tires and with a little push the car will roll right down the ramps.

This sounds like a good plan. Still thinking I might just set it down and cut it out. Most of the rear quarters are gone already. I'll post some pics after I get the car in my garage.
GaroldShaffer
keep the doors closed. I run a HEAVY DUTY strap (or two) from the a arms up over the front trunk, to the targa bar and ratchet tight. Once in the air Just follow the usual procedure for dropping a enegine.

I had a 73 on my midrise lift like this for well over two months (maybe longer) before I dropped the engine.
MartyYeoman
I like Garold's approach. Simple and effective.
Tbone425
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 1 2016, 05:14 PM) *

I like this approach too but...Ready?.....wait for it...the doors won't close.
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Take saws all with long metal blade and cut car at firewall all the way across.
Trust me, you will enjoy it.
dlee6204
QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jun 1 2016, 08:43 PM) *

Okay... Use another strap to hold the doors tight. laugh.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jun 1 2016, 07:43 PM) *

find some place solid on each side (if there is any metal left) jack up the side and when the car "bends" open close /slam the door so it will catch. Go to the other side of the car and repeat.

While cutting the car in half is fun and all, I find trying to remove the engine & trans easier if the car is whole (what is left of it). I have had parts cars in the past that the doors would not close or catch, here again a nice heavy duty strap to help pull them closed always seemed to work for me.

YMMV - good luck
Tbone425
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 1 2016, 05:57 PM) *

Take saws all with long metal blade and cut car at firewall all the way across.
Trust me, you will enjoy it.

I bet I wil,,..
Tbone425
I think you'll be able to dance on the roll bar when I'm done with my safety precautions... Just don't trip over the shop lift arm with a chain looped through the rear window hole :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.