Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about "Jakes" Engine's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
glen
Anyone have one of Jake's 2270 engines? Seems a lot easier and cheaper than a six conversion. How would it compare to a 73' 2.0 with webers?
Thanks
Glen
Mueller
a "stock" 2.0 with webers??

a properly built 2270 will kick the 2.0's @ss without skipping a heartbeat smile.gif

heck, usually a stock fuel injected 2.0 is better than a stock 2.0 with Webers....

Joe Ricard
Like night and day. the 2270 will make near double the power of a stock 2.0L with carbs.

No I don't have one of these motors I am still financially challenged. or just a CSOB.

914werke
uh..180-200bhp from a carbed 2270 lol2.gif
sean_v8_914
the longer stroke will pull harder, more low end torque
stock d-jet 73 2.0 was 95 HP
skline
I built my own 2270 a few years back and it would whomp a stock 2 liter. A 2 liter with carbs and a cam to match is not much stronger than a stock healthy 2 liter. Ask Aaron about my little stock 2 liter with FI and his 2 liter with cam and carbs. It takes him a bit to catch up but he gets me in the top end.
914werke
Ok but not "Double" wacko.gif
skline
A 2270 with 44 Webers or 45 Dells running a decent cam should be around 130 to 145 HP realistically. It all depends on the cam used and head work and many other variables. Some could even make more HP if you have the money.
Jake Raby
It may not make "double the power" But the car will drive twice as fast.....

Over the weekend I drove a 73 teener with a stock engine and the owner of it drove mine with the 2316 Hybrid installed...

I felt like I was going to have to get out of his car and push it....

When he got out of my car he walked over, shook my hand and said "I want one no matter what it costs."

He was absolutely amazed that my head temps ran 60 degrees cooler than his and oil was 20 degrees cooler but I am making almost 80 HP more than him!

I have yet to take anyone for a ride in my car, or let anyone drive it that did not buy an engine from me....

BTW- you should really ask this over on my forum at the STF.. not many of my engines end up in guys cars here on the 914 club... But do a search for Hi Fi Guy he has one of my engines from 3.5 years ago....
skline
Dave Hunt has one of your engines, I have not seen him post here lately though, I was hoping he would bring it down for the WCC. Anyone heard from Dave lately?
Jake Raby
Dave does NOT have a complete engine of mine... He bought a kit. Thats a big difference, its still my design and parts and even machining but it don't have our assembly or dyno work... It is cheaper and don't require a 9+ month wait though.. :-) .

Dave had some issues with the rings seating and we found a few issues that were caused by excess fuel in the cylinders during the break in process...

The pistons went to JE for a good observation and the cylinders went back to the Nikisil platers for replating.

Dave will not have this engine in his car for the WCC for sure. We are literally performing an autopsy on it to see what happened to it to ensure it does not happen again.

If his engine would have hit my dyno it would not have left my shop and he'd be cruising right now... Thats the only downfall to a kit, not getting exact tuning.
Hi_Fi_Guy
Yes, I have one of Jake's 2270 TYPE-IVs in my 914. Awesome engine no doubt about it. More than enough power to have fun on any type of road, excellent hi-way usability and economy (29.5 MPG average over the last 1200 miles). No problems doing extra legal triple digit speeds all day long.

The best part about working with Jake is the professional way he conducts himself and the reliability factor he builds into his engines. I never hesitate to take the 914 anywhere, any time.
phantom914
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 4 2005, 08:08 PM)
Ask Aaron ...............................he gets me in the top end.

Well, that's better than getting you in the.............oh, never mind. rolleyes.gif

Andrew
Jake Raby
Hi Fi Guy..
Glad your "Old model 2270" is still running strong!

Thats great mileage out of that ababy, most average 25-28!
Mark Henry
I've got a bunch of Jake's part's sitting here....nice stuff smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
Mark, I have the rest here now... Is the "courier" coming by soon?
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 5 2005, 02:25 PM)
Mark, I have the rest here now... Is the "courier" coming by soon?

I'll call him this evening!
MecGen
Hey
While I have the motor guys on board...
Do you know if "European Racing" is still around?
I'm talking mid 90s, they where in Redondo Beach,C.A.
I often wonder what happened to them, gave me some good tech support over the phone.
Thanx
Joe

beerchug.gif
Gearren
How much does a complete 2270 engine from jake cost?
Jake Raby
See your other post...
LongARM
do you have any pics. of your 912e Jake. i would like to see it..???
off topic there sorry. beer.gif
Jake Raby
See "Jake's Cars" on the about us portion of www.aircooledtechnology.com bunches of pics there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.