Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...wireless issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Bob
I had a Lynksis wireless hub and it sucked...it was a "B" model....constant drops and spotty connectivity....gave it the float test and now I have a "G" set up.....gives me an "Excellent" reading but only 54 Mbps....then it drops....then comes back up....

My hard cable gives 100Mbps.....

I have turned off all the remote phones....nothing changes.....

Is there some kind of monitor that can read interfernce on the frequencies that it transmits on?
scotty914
you might be able to use one of the things for finding hot spots, i mean it looks for signals in that range.
Joe Bob
Whut....one of dem "divining rods"?
skline
Read the FCC label on the unit, I would bet it says it must accept any interference on it. The unit is a transmitter and reciever so it must comply with FCC. If you are just using it for internet, then dont worry about it, I am sure it will always be faster than your internet connection. The only time you will use that kind of bandwidth would be transferring files from one computer to another on your internal network.
Joe Bob
My main issue is the drops.....I think something is interfering....would like to eliminate it....aka ...hunt it down and kill it....
skline
If you are using AOL I can tell you what the problem is. You get 3 guesses and the first 2 dont count.

I do know how to resolve that problem also. Not sure if I want to tell, how much money you got?
scotty914
well i found one at office depot, but it filters out other signals. maybe you could find a cheaper one that does not filter as much out. this
is what i am talking about.

there are other options, like a bug sweeper. they look for wireless signals with out regard to what they are from, i have one but its broke. so you might want to ask any friends you have in private security if they have one you can barrow.
bd1308
okay if its D-link i have the same problem, bought another and prob solved...in a typical 60s built house with 2 stories, 2 APs aare needed...if you have more than one YOU MUST SET THE CHANNELS VERY APART 1 6 and 11 are good ones, use 6 only if you have 3 APs....
SirAndy
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 07:44 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

WiFi my ass, there is a reason why you only see real wires in my house/office ...
type.gif Andy
vortrex
why don't you just change channels on the wireless setup?
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 4 2005, 10:15 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

WiFi my ass, there is a reason why you only see real wires in my house/office ...
type.gif Andy

yes...i agree, but when you have a psycho mom that loaths wires and yells at you incessantly at the sight of them, you gotta make a few changes....more APs, less problems...hell at western we put in 40 APs, each costing a couple grand...... ohmy.gif space those channels out though, thats my job at work....wireless performance management.... wacko.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:13 PM)
okay if its D-link i have the same problem, bought another and prob solved...in a typical 60s built house with 2 stories, 2 APs aare needed...if you have more than one YOU MUST SET THE CHANNELS VERY APART 1 6 and 11 are good ones, use 6 only if you have 3 APs....

Dude....I'm sitting so close to it I could whip it out and pee on the damn thing.....

I was trying to buy some ticket online for the monsters to go to Universal Studios and the WIFI crapped out right in the middle of the transaction.....

How do I change the channels?
bd1308
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:13 PM)

Dude....I'm sitting so close to it I could whip it out and pee on the damn thing.....

I was trying to buy some ticket online for the monsters to go to Universal Studios and the WIFI crapped out right in the middle of the transaction.....

How do I change the channels?

well Z, tell me what brand it is....don't whip it out yet....thats plan B.... wink.gif
914GT
Microwave ovens, which operate at the same frequency, are good at taking a wireless network down. If your neighbor lives close enough even theirs can hose your link.
skline
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:22 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

type.gif Andy

yes...i agree, but when you have a psycho mom that loaths wires and yells at you incessantly at the sight of them, you gotta make a few changes....more APs, less problems...hell at western we put in 40 APs, each costing a couple grand...... ohmy.gif space those channels out though, thats my job at work....wireless performance management.... wacko.gif

You do wireless performance and you have a D-link at home? I have only been doing wireless since 1995 when I set up the 26 AP's at pier G for Sealand. Why would you choose the bottom of the line crap for your home? Linksys is by far the best home unit you can buy for the money. If you want professional equipment, go with Orinoco as it is probably one of the best on the market. When I did the port of Long Beach back in the 90's we used Aeronet which was bought out by Cisco. Linksys was also bought out by Cisco and the technology of the Aeronet is used in the new G system from Cisco.

Mike, if you want the least amount of interference, go with an AP that runs in the 5.3GHz range instead of 2.4
bd1308
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 4 2005, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2005, 08:22 PM)
nothing changes.....

get used to it ...

type.gif Andy

You do wireless performance and you have a D-link at home? I have only been doing wireless since 1995 when I set up the 26 AP's at pier G for Sealand. Why would you choose the bottom of the line crap for your home? Linksys is by far the best home unit you can buy for the money. If you want professional equipment, go with Orinoco as it is probably one of the best on the market. When I did the port of Long Beach back in the 90's we used Aeronet which was bought out by Cisco. Linksys was also bought out by Cisco and the technology of the Aeronet is used in the new G system from Cisco.

i personally dont like any of them...i had a linksys WAP11 and it shit out ALL THE FREAKING TIME...this was on sale...it works for now and thats that....gimme $$$ for a cisco aeronet 1200 (like they used at WKU) and i'll be happy to use it wink.gif D-link worked okay fer me so far, i'll wait till it craps out and then i'll get a cisco....

and how can you recommend a 802.11a AP if you dont know if he has a A card, or that his range will be quartered bc of using the 5Ghz band...A sucks and always has.....
bd1308
there is something really wrong with Z's setup....bc if he is getting dropped connections and he can PEEE ON THE THING...range isnt a issue....Z, you dont have a microwave near you to cook TV dinners while you sit at your computer all night do you?
Joe Bob
Britt....Linksys Wireless G, 2.4 GHz
bd1308
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 10:42 PM)
Britt....Linksys Wireless G, 2.4 GHz

well channel changing isnt going to get you a better range...if you can pee on it and its still dropping signals, i'm guessing a hardware problem....plus the fact windoze says "excellent" b4 it cuts out means its not signal related.....like i dunno, time for plan B......keep the recipt and get a new one...i'm calling hardware problem.....
skline
You must not know as much about wireless and you think, 802.11a is what the Aeronet unit runs on. Its old technology, the newer units 802.11a are more refined and work much better, They also cost almost twice as much which is why many went to 802.11b and now 802.11g, just because its more popular, doesnt make it better. Orinoco runs 802.11a. You are a student talking to a professor, do your research before you come back to me with arguments.
Joe Bob
I type in the static IP address .... 192.168.1.1 and I get a password protected site...
914GT
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 4 2005, 09:48 PM)
I type in the static IP address .... 192.168.1.1 and I get a password protected site...

I think the default password on these is 'admin'. Leave the user field blank.
mightyohm
The default PW depends on the model of router. It came with a manual, right? Read it!
Joe Bob
What????Read the Fuching book????what a concept.... headbang.gif

Book doan say nutin' about drops....
mightyohm
You live up on a hill. You probably get tons of interference. Remember that in SB you can receive SD radio stations, just to give you an idea of all the signals you are dealing with. Also offshore swept radar can be a factor. Try changing the channel like has been suggested.
skline
Mike, is it an Access point or an access point router?
bd1308
Z for linksys... no user, admin pass.....under front page, you will see channel...default is something but try 1 or 6 or 11
Joe Bob
Admin, then admin....the help desk speaks Indian....was able to change to channel 11....will see how that works....
Verruckt
Wireless in a home is unstable. Cordless phones, baby monitors, next door neighbor haX0rs, microwave overs, etc, etc will affect the signal.

Recently purchased Linksys products ARE based on Cisco technology. If you want convenience, stick with the wireless and deal with the signal issues. If you want concistency, then buy some cat5 wink.gif
bd1308
i have both in my room.....aeronets are B/G I believe.....i'm stickin to my argument, but i'd like to hear what you have to say in response, scott. please pm me....and we'll talk civilized....
Joe Bob
QUOTE (skline @ Apr 4 2005, 08:57 PM)
Mike, is it an Access point or an access point router?

It's a router....three computers are hooked up...one permanent hard wire, two wifi/hardline....

It shows it's been stable since last night when I pitched my hissy fit.....

I was able to get in the admin file by throwing feces against the monitor and burning toe nail clippings.....

The stooopid book was no help, the set up disc is glitchy, "admin" in both name AND password got me in when I typed in the static IP address on the tool bar....
Kind of like doing a clutch adjustment in the rain...but I didn't get my hands dirty.
Part Pricer

Mike,

Hopefully everything has worked out for you.

However, despite the representations of our friends here, you should know that the Linksys routers use a common, readily available, cheap chipset for their wireless routers. The same chipset is used by many other manufacturers as well. The only thing special about the Linksys products is their firmware/software, and that is crap.

If your problems haven't been eliminated, you can upgrade the firmware to some that is better and open source. Try either HyperWRT or Sveasoft. I would recommend that you try HyperWRT first. It gives you the ability to adjust transmit power as well as giving you additional wireless channels. It sounds like you have a lot of "noise" in your area. Using a channel that is unavailable in the standard Linksys firmware might help eliminate your problems.

Joe Bob
Have you tried it?
Part Pricer
I have it running at a couple of my customers. I was dealing with range and noise issues at both of them and this fixed it. I don't use it myself as I don't allow any Linksys equipment into my house. (personal preference)

You could always try it and if it doesn't work out for you, you can always go back by just holding down the reset button.

Joe Bob
OK...will see how it does....what is an adequate "Non CSOB" donation amount?

Also....where is a good scanner that can be obtained to see what interference is around?

I occassionally see a Belkin when searching for a signal....but not much else. I'm curious what is floating around in the air waves my area.....also professionally as I am a licensed PI.
bd1308
yeah i forgot why i hated linksys until now.....the firmware updates/support is utter crap...cisco better get on the ball, cause if i don't get my BEFSR41 update soon I'm gonna crap in a box and mail it to them, and then run into the building with my 914 4x4.....in 4 wheel low!!! oops...did i let my latest project slip?
bd1308
Z if you mess with power/signal...read up on the FCC guidelines....they have a max power setting that is legal for home usage, and with you bein a PI, i'm sure you drive 65 down all major highways....
Joe Bob
FCC...yeah right.

Same guys that allow bleed over from the local TV station to block out the LA stations that MAKES us have to have cable TV....assholes are worse than the (insert fav) agency.....

Since my neighbors are such swell guys....a interefering transmission would be fun....
Root_Werks
Just take a piss on it Mike, that'll fix it. Who needs a computer at home when you work on one all day at work anyway. wink.gif
Joe Bob
Not all day....just the AM...I set up appointments and then go spread warmth and joy.....
Howard
Smart Ass response. Here's the $1.95 fix that really works.

Cat 5

mightyohm
To scan the airwaves you need something like this:

http://www.home.agilent.com/USeng/nav/-12093.0/pc.html

Only $50k. biggrin.gif

Joe Bob
QUOTE (Howard @ Apr 5 2005, 08:31 AM)
Smart Ass response. Here's the $1.95 fix that really works.

Cat 5

Yep....smartass.....

What I wanna do is use a laptop as advertised....it's SUPPOSED to be MOBILE....
bd1308
dude....if it connects with excellent then disconnects then connects then disconnects ....i dont care WHAT power level its set to....if you can piss on it and it still dont work with that distance....you need a new one. piss on the linksys and buy the D-link then update teh firmware...bullshit firmware on my WAP11 caused me to go crazy and stab it with a pick-ax....fun but not really...same thing happened on that...and soame thing USEDD to happen on my BEFSR41....so float this one too...back to where you got it....
mightyohm
I am getting sick of all this bullshit about Linksys products. I have been using a Linksys wireless (802.11b) router continuously for about 3 years now, ZERO PROBLEMS. Better than that POS d-link and netgear crap.

bd1308
i dunno why Z doesnt get get a exchange....i agree with you on the netgear crap....that blows....my $$$$$$$$ router at home from Linksys does the trick....no problems, my WAP11 bit the dust....maybe it's just that one thing...does anybody know how to hack johnson controls stuff....it's so damn hot in my cubicle
Joe Bob
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 5 2005, 09:21 AM)
I am getting sick of all this bullshit about Linksys products. I have been using a Linksys wireless (802.11b) router continuously for about 3 years now, ZERO PROBLEMS. Better than that POS d-link and netgear crap.

Yeah...we use the Linksys at work trouble free.....the laptop works great everywhere except my house....

Gonna go rent a scanner....prolly one of my dipshit neighbors have a bootleg radio transmitter with bleed over.
mightyohm
I am guessing that because his old b router hardly worked, and the g router is having problems, he is dealing with an interference issue. b/g share the same frequencies but g is a little bit more robust because of the OFDM modulation. b is CCK which is very primitive.

Mike - Try every channel and see if there is one that works. Make sure the antenna auto select/diversity is on (it should be by default). You could try limiting the data rate to something below 54mb and see if that gives you a more solid (but slow) connection.

Beyond that these are the things I would try -

Moving the router/laptop to another room or part of the house just to see if it is localized interference.

Try a different 802.11b/g card for the laptop. If it's builtin then try an external USB/PCMCIA device.

If all else fails try another brand of router, or consider moving to 802.11a which should be more robust simply because there is less interference to deal with at 5GHz. But you are looking at a $150 router now plus a much more expensive laptop card. I am not a big fan of 802.11a because of price, but if it's the only thing that will work in your environment...

I am hoping this isn't some weird software problem...
bd1308
i've seen visuals of bleed-over its messed up....try 1,6 and 11....those usually are the best...
rhilgers
I had the same thing early last year.

I run WPA with no issues now. SEE: Feds Hack Wireless Network in 3 Minutes on slashdot.org today
Just check the basics first.

Upgrade to latest router firmware
Upgrade laptop to latest firmware
Upgrade OS to latest patch (XP Service Pack 2 makes a huge difference on wireless)

(my longest range so far is 120 yards at work blink.gif )

-Rich Hilgersom

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.