Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rubber bumper top stud fix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tbone425
Anyone ever replace one of the studs? I have an extremely nice top pad but it has a broken stud on one end. I don't need it and thought I might sell it but wanted to see if I could fix it first......as its only a matter of time.
914Sixer
Drill the old one out and tap it to the next size. Metal is flimsy so don't get carried away.
Tbone425
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 1 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Drill the old one out and tap it to the next size. Metal is flimsy so don't get carried away.

If the plug it's set in metal? I thought about trying to get that plug out and set a new stud with epoxy.
Mikey914
The reason the old ones come out is the metal has rusted. Try epoxy. It will work for awhile. But I know where you can get a new one when yo are ready, as you are only buying time.
Tbone425
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 2 2016, 12:06 AM) *

The reason the old ones come out is the metal has rusted. Try epoxy. It will work for awhile. But I know where you can get a new one when yo are ready, as you are only buying time.

I bet you do, lol. And I'm sure I will be getting a kit ordered soon for my other 914 project. This one is nearly perfect the stud is just broken off. It's no bubbled up like the smile on my 911 was. Just trying to save an otherwise great piece of OEM rubber.
Mikey914
You should. The fix will last longer if it's not as degraded.
rhodyguy
The plug should pop out. Just use a same sized bolt imbedded in the top with epoxy rather than a stud. There is a thread I posted detailing the procedure. Somewhere. My search skills suck. Worse with link posting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.