Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper lug wrench color?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Okay, concours guys....What is the proper color for the lug wrench, gray or black? Flat or semi? Thanks.....Eddy
Eric_Shea
Rust
Eric_Shea
Seriously... I seem to remember the one in my -6 factory tool kit being silver cad. Let's see if Jim Chambers can chime in with a tool kit picture (sold the car to him).
Joe Ricard
Uh, my lug wrench is a 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet. 19mm 6 point deep well socket and a 2" by 24" long PVC. Is that wrong?
DonTraver
I got the original kit when I bought my 914-6 from my step-dad. All the tools are silver cadium plated. The tools in my RS America tool bag are also silver cadium plated, think I see a pattern here. Take Care, Don
Porsche Rescue
Eddy, if you're asking about the wrench for a four cyl. the handle is black gloss. I think the socket is unplated black/gray steel but not sure.
Like Eric, you need to ask someone who now owns my former car. It is a '74 with only 33,000 miles. Tool kit looks like new. Send a PM to Boxster at Camp.914.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Apr 4 2005, 08:36 PM)
Okay, concours guys....What is the proper color for the lug wrench, gray or black? Flat or semi? Thanks.....Eddy

I'll get mine from the car and post a picture for you. I have the originals that came with the car. However, I like the "Rust" answer... biggrin.gif
ChrisFix
Handle is gloss black (not really high gloss however). Socket and wrench are grey but don't look painted. Some silver shows through at the wear spots. Tow Hook is yellow anodized. Hub-cap puller is silver metal (not painted).
ChrisFix
Another...
ChrisFix
Another view....
Porsche Rescue
Ok, Chris, lets talk real 914 trivia here. The '74 kit has a hub cap puller. However, my memory says there were no hub caps after '73 because the standard wheel on '74 and later was the "styled steel" wheel, the raised "cross" in the center. They had a black plastic plug in the center and plastic covers on the lug bolts. Was there a hub cap in '74?
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 5 2005, 12:16 PM)
Ok, Chris, lets talk real 914 trivia here. The '74 kit has a hub cap puller. However, my memory says there were no hub caps after '73 because the standard wheel on '74 and later was the "styled steel" wheel, the raised "cross" in the center. They had a black plastic plug in the center and plastic covers on the lug bolts. Was there a hub cap in '74?

No hubcaps, just the flat plastic black centers like you say. Why there is a hubcap puller in the '74 tool bag is anybody's guess - probably had the tool kits already made - but they were definitely included in '74.

Also note that I'm missing the screwdriver with the two tips. If anyone has one for sale, or knows of one for sale, I would be very interested in completing my kit.
Porsche Rescue
Describe it. I just saw one in my toolbox yesterday and asked myself "where did that come from?".
davep
Some of the tools are a black oxide finish. Dumped in a bucket of oil and water while still hot from the oven. Makes for stronger parts (heat treatment) like high grade fasteners.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (davep @ Apr 5 2005, 01:25 PM)
Some of the tools are a black oxide finish. Dumped in a bucket of oil and water while still hot from the oven. Makes for stronger parts (heat treatment) like high grade fasteners.

The lug socket and 10mm/13mm open end are probably that finish. They aren't painted and don't look anodized either, but have a definite grey metal finish.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 5 2005, 01:12 PM)
Describe it. I just saw one in my toolbox yesterday and asked myself "where did that come from?".

I've never seen one in person, but from the photos in the Johnson book it appears to be a light colored screwdriver handle (looks white in the black and white photo) with a double ended removable/switchable screwdriver blade (guessing slotted and phillips tips). The entire screwdriver shaft pulls out of the handle and is reversed for the opposite tip, not just the tip itself as on most modern multi-tip handles.
Porsche Rescue
I think the handle may be gray but not certain. Sorry, the one I have is changeable tip only.
You might go to Camp914.com and email Craig. Very possible he has one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.