Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Made it to Calif......Then Gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
I did prey to make it home safe, just didn't add the part to keep it running.

Drove great 6 hrs straight then ??? Here are the symptoms.

Every once in a while I felt a very slight surge . Like as fast as a blink of the eye but it got my attention.

Sometimes volt meter would just stay on 12 then move towards 12.5

Tach bounced every once in a while, but it's always done that.

Got off freeway and stalled. Had to keep revs up at every red light as it would not hold idle.

Parked in front of house. Turns over but does not start. No putt putt no nothing.

1975 1.8 fuel inject. All stock.

Fuel pump ?
Coil ?
Could be its pissed off cause I took it out of Arz !!
falcor75
My thoughts was fuel pump or coil. Does the pump buzz when you turn on the ignition? If not try pulling the fuel pump relay and use a piece of wire to bypass it and see if it works then. Nex thing I guess would be checking for spark...
malcolm2
I had a similar problem. Driving on the interstate at about 80, up a long slight hill. same exact location 2 times. It felt like a big wind blew me backwards, then as you say it dies at the top of the exit ramp and at every light on the way home.

Had to heel-toe the brake and gas to keep revs at 1000-ish.

After a rest, maybe 20 minutes it would start back up. the 1st time I was pretty low on gas, so I added lawn mower gas then went to fill up.

2nd time 2 weeks later, I rounded up a fuel pressure regulator. Not new, but used and different. I also filled up with gas and replaced my fuel filter that had been on for 20K miles. Has not happened since. I also checked all the FI for spray pattern and leaks, found nothing.

Lastly, in the 80's I had a VW bug that had a fuel filter that was aluminum, you could not see it in. My bug died on the interstate coming home from Myrtle Beach. We poked around for an hour. It started and I ended up getting a clear plastic filter and it never happened again. I assume the higher speeds choke the filter down and it starves the carb or FI. Just a guess.

BTW, I have a VDO CHT on #3 and usually going up that hill the gauge inches up to 370-ish. On those two days, it went down to 300 then 250 thru the stop signs home. So something was happening with #3. Strange cause it is 1st in line from the filter, maybe too much pressure, or an air pocket?

But I have had no symptoms since. It has been more than a month of semi-daily driving. A brand new FP reg. is on my list to buy soon. I also checked for spark on each plug wire with my inductive timing light, (especially #3) and replaced the 2 year old spark plugs.

I also have a 1.8 L-jet. Mine is bumped up to 1911. Update this post, I would love to know, since I had similar issues that are not currently known for sure to be solved.

confused24.gif

link to my post with lots of suggestions on things to check.
ndfrigi
my 75 1.8 FI did similar to yours and After few days and a longer drive, on a full stop the tach was bouncing between 2.500 and 3k rpm then car died totally. to make long story short, it was the pertronix ignitor. replace it and all back to normal and found out also #3 spark plug is bad.
Coondog
Let it set for a couple hours and it started up, front truck area has a slight smell of old gas ?? Still runs crappy, but it runs.
injunmort
as mentioned i would start checking for spark first as it is easiest. pull a wire connect to spare plug and check for spark. if you have spark i would then check pump.
Coondog
I have read that your suspose to hear the fuel pump running ?? I have never heard anything running under the front trunk.
SLITS
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 2 2016, 12:37 PM) *

I have read that your suspose to hear the fuel pump running ?? I have never heard anything running under the front trunk.

DJet ... fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds when the key is turned on. Won't run again until you turn the starter

LJet ... fuel pump runs with the turn of the starter as I remember.

Check your points / condenser.
ndfrigi
visit pepboys, autozone or oreillys and borrow a loaner fuel pressure test. i did borrowed from oreillys and able to checked my fuel pressure.
rhodyguy
6 hours straight? Burned the fuel down yes? Plugged sock in the tank. The suck flat eases over time. If so it will do it again. At the time you least want it to happen.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 2 2016, 02:37 PM) *

Do you have a helper and a stethoscope? Have them turn the key and you stick your ear by the pump. It will go back off if you don't start the car.

IIRC the key will start the pump on an L-Jet. But the AFM keeps it running. As air moves thru it, it opens and voila, the pump runs.

The filter on the OEM 75 is a bitch to replace, but it sounds like you should. Both of my stories.... the Bug and the 914 aktion035.gif Do you know the last time it was replaced?
Tom_T
Check fuel smell in F trunk for leaks & clogs. Also, check for fuel fouled plugs, & if all 4 (5 w/ cold start valve/5th injector) is getting fuel (pull, put in clear jar & crank a few times (helper) to watch how fuel is flowing). Check FPR too if flow is on-n-off at any/all.

Also add checking the Regulator (big one on the engine relay board) to your list to check, due to the electrical sounding gremlins you mentioned, a well as the usual dizzy/rotor/points/EFI trigger points to coil & wires, to plugs for continuity - if any not getting spark.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Coondog
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2016, 12:54 PM) *

6 hours straight? Burned the fuel down yes? Plugged sock in the tank. The suck flat eases over time. If so it will do it again. At the time you least want it to happen.

Tank still shows 1/4 and I can see gas. Going to put 5 gallons in. Then move on to above suggestions.
Coondog
Added gas. Knew it wasn't going to change things. Car idles but stalls when you give it gas. Need more info on this collapsing filter sock please.
timothy_nd28
Engine may have backfired during your trip. Check the airflow meters' flap to see if it moves freely. Backfires in a Ljet will cause that flap to warp, causing your described symptoms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.