Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F/S CL listing, - ince '73 willow green
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
DRPHIL914
if you know the back ground on this car or have seen it, I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Looks very clean, but we all know without seeing in person its hard to tell how rust free it is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-ta...em=231957633337
87m491
It seems the same seller just sold this one

http://r.ebay.com/EsltW0

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 2 2016, 11:53 AM) *

if you know the back ground on this car or have seen it, I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Looks very clean, but we all know without seeing in person its hard to tell how rust free it is.

DRPHIL914
Looks like it, which would make it look like he is a flipper, yet he claims he is a " enthusiast" not a restorer etc.
interesting

QUOTE(87m491 @ Jun 2 2016, 04:33 PM) *

It seems the same seller just sold this one

http://r.ebay.com/EsltW0

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 2 2016, 11:53 AM) *

JOEPROPER
Buy the car, not the "story". Time is running out fast, so hurry up and get a ppi. Pictures are from too far away and no pics of the areas of concern. Remember it is ebay. Good luck. I hope it works out well for whoever gets it.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Jun 2 2016, 06:32 PM) *

Buy the car, not the "story". Time is running out fast, so hurry up and get a ppi. Pictures are from too far away and no pics of the areas of concern. Remember it is ebay. Good luck. I hope it works out well for whoever gets it.

No disagreement here, I didn see this until today and not really enough to time to get any kind of ppi done. If a person has money to burn and want to take a chance, under $8k may not seem like a big risk. It could be ok. I took a chance on one before and it's now getting some major work done, but that was 7 years ago and I paid a fraction of that for the car. Granted values have gone up dramatically since then making the risk/reward more likely to work out, but there are a lot of unverified issues here, too many for me to just plunk down $8k or so. If I were close enough to go look, and could hear the motor run , check hell hole and longs I would. Most likely I will not take that chance in this car. If a member here had seen this car in the past year or two and knew the history etc that would be different, and is why I posed the question .
DRPHIL914
And now you have brand new bidders jumping into the fray, it will be interesting to see where it ends in the next 4 hours
era vulgaris
I had contacted the seller the first day of the auction asking for pics of some of the more rust-prone areas, as well as additional info about the car. This was his answer:

I can take more pics for you ... I'll try to capture those specific areas ... We just fired engine up last week after rebuild ... Didnt do compression check ... Makes great oil pressure and runs well ... I'm mean it hold idles and goes through all the gears ... It's not dialed in with respect to timing ... I've not messed with carbs (air/fuel mix) ... So i can't tell you it making the kind of power it should yet ... The tranny is excellent as is the linkage ... It's tight and no synchro issues up or down through the gears ... But I wanna be clear about my level of effort here ... I've got a lot of cars and other stuff and I just don't wanna mess with this one much anymore ... I'm kind of in baby mode ... I spent a bunch of money on it as a favor for a friend ... Then I spent a bunch of time ... Now I'm gonna lose a bunch of money ... Hence the no reserve ... I jus t want it to go away ... That being said I also understand that as a buyer you wanna know as much as you can and that there's an opportunity to really buy it at a low price and get a great car that just needs the final stuff done to make it much better ... So I'll do what I can get to ... If it's not enough info to make you comfortable as a buyer I understand and you probably shouldn't bid it ... The best info you could get is from the guy I bought it from ... He's smart , and a little wacky wink.gif but if you call him he'd have a ton to tell you about the car ...Courtney 240-672-7983 ...call him and then call me after you talk to him ... Thanks Phil

Make of that what you will. He never did send me those pics. I had considered making the ~4 hour drive to look at the car, but got some additional info that there was still rust in the engine bay from another 914world member who had also spoke to the seller, and decided against it.
DRPHIL914
Sold for $9,100. could be a good buy, but it sounds like a lot of sorting out still needs to be done for than much. It certainly was not a have to have for me at this point, but with one in the shop I might have grabbed it to use as a dd for a while at the right price.

I hope whom ever bought it might be a member and post some info at some point.
mepstein
eBay is a good way to pay top dollar for a car.
rmdinmd
Based on the name and area code; the "owner" might be someone that some have had problems with in the past. So maybe it's not a bad thing that no one here "won the bid" as it seemed the more expensive items were when and were the problems tended to occur.
Cairo94507
Anyone else have a problem with this seller putting the former owner's name and phone number on-line? That would have turned me off right there.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 4 2016, 08:09 AM) *

Anyone else have a problem with this seller putting the former owner's name and phone number on-line? That would have turned me off right there.

Same here. Quite inconsiderate - he could have shared that in private with the eventual buyer.
My 914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2016, 08:22 AM) *

eBay is a good way to pay top dollar for a car.

I agree! I learned that a long time ago on ebay. Its a fun place to look though.
87m491
yeah, bonus ass hat points for saying the poor guy is in the hospital but will answer questions when he is out!

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 4 2016, 05:09 AM) *

era vulgaris
It looks like the buyer backed out. Probably has something to do with the new tidbits of info in the ad:

... Some bubbling on top of right rear fender where it meets the door ... Some sheet metal rust below battery box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-ta...em=231974368426
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.