Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIDEO: one session with Huey at Carolina Motorsports Park
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
For your entertainment - a video of one session from the SCCA time trail last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4djih9pxw

Won GT2 class and was less than 1 second from overall Fastest Time of Day!

For comparison, this is last year in Papa Smurf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EX9PI0r88

Difference in these two video's is about 5 seconds (Papa faster). With Papa Smurf, I never even pushed it before the crank pulley bolt backed out. I was experimenting with the new transmission and figuring out gears. Still ended up overall Fastest Time of Day!!
wndsrfr
Bob....your car has the same humming noise on the right hand sweepers that mine does! It's been a "feature" of Kermeee forever and I've never figured it out confused24.gif but sorta feel it's either a very slight tire rub on inner fender wall or possibly rotor kissing caliper under cornering stress.....dunno, but sorta kinda a relief to hear it on someone else's car FWIW. Thanks for posting, nice videos.
naro914
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 2 2016, 09:55 PM) *

Bob....your car has the same humming noise on the right hand sweepers that mine does! It's been a "feature" of Kermeee forever and I've never figured it out confused24.gif but sorta feel it's either a very slight tire rub on inner fender wall or possibly rotor kissing caliper under cornering stress.....dunno, but sorta kinda a relief to hear it on someone else's car FWIW. Thanks for posting, nice videos.

Its funny, Nadine heard it and came in, thinking there was a problem. I never really heard it until later in the day - though now that I listen, I hear it on the video. I don't know what it is either, other than as you said, a slight tire rub...I haven't taken the wheels off since we got back, I'll do that this weekend and investigate...
wndsrfr
Here's a clip from RA.....you can hear the "humming" at 1:20-1:22 on the right hander before the back straight...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_6gl44LCM
r_towle
What is your shift light set at in your first video?
I know you are going to be cautious but sounds low to me
naro914
Shift light is set at 6700, rev limiter kicks in at 7200, so gives me a few hundred before shifting. Shift light not really needed unless you're around a group of cars and can't hear your own engine sounds...

And yes, no reason to spin this engine up too much...built by the same guy that built (over and over) Papa Smurfs engine. But this one is fully stock...
r_towle
If it was built by the same guy, you migh want to lower the shift point.....just poking fun...
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2016, 09:43 PM) *

If it was built by the same guy, you migh want to lower the shift point.....just poking fun...

LOL!! that's why the shift point IS so low...
The difference here (hopefully) is that this is a stock engine - all he did was replace bearings and seals, so no engineering or thought needed. It's been two years now - multiple hillclimbs, autocrosses, Hawk vintage race at Road America, TT at Roebling Road and CMP now. I'm pretty confident that it's OK, but...no reason to stress it out too much!

In the long run our goal is to put a real vintage legal engine in Huey to race him, and move this 3.2 over to a street car...one of these days...
Krieger
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 3 2016, 05:36 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jun 2 2016, 09:55 PM) *

Its funny, Nadine heard it and came in, thinking there was a problem. I never really heard it until later in the day - though now that I listen, I hear it on the video. I don't know what it is either, other than as you said, a slight tire rub...I haven't taken the wheels off since we got back, I'll do that this weekend and investigate...

Holy cow! I have exactly the same issue. I have been trying to figure this out for a while. I even replaced both rear wheel bearings. The best I can figure is that my left front spindle is worn. Where the outer wheel bearing race sits on the spindle is "worn"and there is just enough play to allow the brake rotor to rub on the brake pad when under a cornering load. I discovered when trying to get that wheel bearing adjusted no matter how tight I made the nut for the wheel bearings there seemed to be too much play. When I removed the hub and inspected the end of the spindle on the bottom where the bearing race sits is an area that is slightly deformed. As if you took just the race and placed it on the spindle and whacked the race with a hammer really hard. I can feel a slight ridge with my finger nail on the spindle. The passenger side does not have the ridge. The noise only happens in hard right hand turns at the track when the brakes are a little warm, or in a parking lot in first gear with the steering wheel locked all the way to the right and orbit in a circle at 14 mph.
Do either of you gentlemen want to inspect your spindles at some point in the future and report back? Please biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.