Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission allen wrench
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tabs914
smash.gif I'm looking for a specific allen wrench that is used to remove the bolt to add transmission fluid....Any ideas where to pick one up? Any other advice or help is greatly appreciated. pray.gif
MattR
Its a 17mm 6pt hex key. I picked mine up last weekend from Auto Zone for like 10 bucks in a set. They are relatively inexpensive and should be at most local auto parts stores.
tat2dphreak
yep, or if there's a VW shop around you, VWs use the same thing and they will have the tool too...
Mueller
the hardware store smash.gif

just find a large bolt with a 17mm head and bend it 90°

moneysmarts
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00946666000

guaranteed for life
Jake Raby
What Mueller said..

I welded a bolt into an old socket 15 years ago and been using it every since...

Plus it ratchets..
scotty914
or take a spare tranny vent, the thing on top of the tranny thats a hex shape, cut the threads off and weld it in to a 17 mm socket. the only differnce is the vent is not hardened so it wont last as long
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 5 2005, 10:48 AM)
What Mueller said..

I welded a bolt into an old socket 15 years ago and been using it every since...

Plus it ratchets..

huh.gif

the one I got at a VW shop was an allen socket... 1/2" attachment...

I thought that's what we were talking about...
URY914
Here is what I have done-no welding required.

Take a bolt and a couple of nuts. The head of the bolt fits inside the plug. Take the two nuts and thread them on the bolt and thighten them against each other. Put your wrench on the nuts and back out the plug.

Easy...

Paul
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 5 2005, 08:47 AM)

Take a bolt and a couple of nuts. The head of the bolt fits inside the plug. Take the two nuts and thread them on the bolt and thighten them against each other. Put your wrench on the nuts and back out the plug.

Easy...

Paul

Ouch, my nuts hurt. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. slap.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Apr 5 2005, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 5 2005, 08:47 AM)

Easy...

Paul

Ouch, my nuts hurt. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. slap.gif

No, you're doing fine. Just smack 'em with a BFH and they'll break loose! laugh.gif
URY914
1. Jack up car.
2. Chuck a sharp 1/4" drill bit in a 3/8" drill.
3. Drill hole in the lowest point at the bottom of the tranny.
4. Let gear oil drip onto floor.
5. Patch hole with JB Weld.
6. Drill hole at top of tranny.
7. Fill with new gear oil.
8. Patch hole with JB Weld.
9. Clean up floor with kitchen towel.

beer.gif cool_shades.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.