Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving to Albuquerque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snakemain
Moving to Albuquerque next weekend.

Most of our stuff is already there courtesy of the USAF, so mostly just have to move my garage and a little furniture. 2 914s, a bunch of parts, motorcycle, lawnmower, tools, etc.

Bolted the engine/tranny back together for my spare/non-running 914 today and bolted it in to make the move easier.

Biggest drawback to the new place is I'll have half the garage space I currently enjoy, and they do not allow working on cars on the property. dry.gif The spare teener, parts, lawn equipment, and a bunch of other crap will have to go into a storage unit for a couple years...(anyone want a slightly rusty disassembled '74?)

Any teeners, p-car guys, notable shops, etc. out that way?
Shindog1961
There are a few of us. I'm up in Santa Fe there are some in Albuquerque in the Road Runner PCA that I know of. I use Silver Star Auto Haus on Aztec for the 914.
ConeDodger
Jon Nelson is in Rio Rancho. About 15 miles...
snakemain
Cool. I'll actually be in Rio Rancho, so right there.
Tom_T
Check out Dr. J's - Jay Waterfield - 4201 San Mateo NE, ABQ, NM 87110 505-341-4747

He's old school & long time working on 914s since the 70's. I've not had mine to him, but know others there who have.

So I can't speak personally on service work, but I did spend some time talking with him a few years back when stuck in ABQ waiting for work on our trailer, & he knows the 914s from what I can tell, & the 5 in his tiny lot which drew my eye driving down the street attests to some others using him.

PS - it sounds like you might also need to find a place without an HOA or whatever so you can work on your cars!

Good Luck in ABQ & Thanx For your Service! flag.gif
Tom
///////
snakemain
Mostly I just need to hunt down a decent oil leak and figure out what's causing me to be at about 80% power...could be carbs. After that, I should be good to drive!
GeorgeRud
Remember that you're at a much higher altitude in Albuquerque than in Illinois. That may be part of your power loss. We notice the difference every time we visit my brother that's lived there for many years.
snakemain
Not there yet, so I'm still just dealing with IL altitude. But figure I'll need to re-jet anyway once I'm there and can go through everything to figure it out.
daraho9146
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 3 2016, 04:22 PM) *

Not there yet, so I'm still just dealing with IL altitude. But figure I'll need to re-jet anyway once I'm there and can go through everything to figure it out.

Welcome to NM. I live in Corrales, not far from Rio Rancho.

Dan
Kansas 914
QUOTE(daraho9146 @ Jun 3 2016, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 3 2016, 04:22 PM) *

Welcome to NM. I live in Corrales, not far from Rio Rancho.

Dan

Russ Kelso has a Porsche shop in Corrales. He does everything from 356 to new model Porsches. He is an old 914 racer and knows his stuff.

http://www.pmciinc.com/

Madswede
bye1.gif Yep I'm in Rio Rancho, on the weekends anyway. Long story short, I work in Los Alamos and have an old dog I like to be around so I stay there during the week. Welcome to Rio Rancho in advance! My house is just 2 miles up Meadowlark from Russ' shop. I'm on the edge of Rio Rancho next to Corrales. He's seen my 914 a fair bit last year. rolleyes.gif

I'm not too active in local car events right now, but who knows? Maybe someday soon. There's a guy in northern Rio Rancho with a track prepped 914. Haven't met the guy (Dan?) who posted from Corrales. Or the guy up in Santa Fe. There's a cream 2.0 914 in Los Alamos that some guy uses as his daily driver (actually White Rock which is where I stay when I'm there). Dunno who he is.

We're around, here and there! Sounds like you got stuck with an annoying neighborhood association. I'm lucky, we can do anything here. Joe O'Brien (Series9) used to live here and he built about four cars here in this very garage! Neighbors are redneck turbo diesel tinkerers (cool guys actually) and there are others. Lucky neighborhood I'm in!

Drop a line when you're here. Maybe we can get a 914 weekend drive on some of our mountain twistys! smile.gif

EDIT: Oh yeah, expect 15% power loss on anything without forced induction, assuming everything else is working tip top. If we go up into the hills, nearing 10,000 ft, it's proportionally worse. Rare air!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 3 2016, 05:16 PM) *

PS - it sounds like you might also need to find a place without an HOA or whatever so you can work on your cars!

Tom,
I'm just guessing, but I think the reason he can't work on cars or store cars on the property is because he is going to live in base housing.
Brings back memories of when I lived in base officers quarters. We used to call them the lawn police because they'd leave you a note if anything were not up to standards... wacko.gif
moorepower
All I know is you are going to enjoy driving on some of the local twisty roads! That is beautiful country out there.
daraho9146
I used to belong to PCA and the local Road Runner club, but let my membership lapse.
I only live about 3 miles from Russ Kelso at PMI. He has done alot of work on my factory six (3.2 conversion).I also have a 84 Carrera. Great Porsche mechanic.
It would be fun to get together with some fellow 914 owners.

Dan Holter
snakemain
House is a rental, so the property manager doesn't want to get oil on the garage floor.

I haven't lived in base housing, but now it's mostly contracted out, and someone else mows your grass (occasionally), and non-military people can rent houses there on many of the bases.

Definitely looking forward to getting there. You'll probably hear me when I fire it up!
Madswede
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jun 5 2016, 10:43 AM) *

House is a rental, so the property manager doesn't want to get oil on the garage floor.

I haven't lived in base housing, but now it's mostly contracted out, and someone else mows your grass (occasionally), and non-military people can rent houses there on many of the bases.

Definitely looking forward to getting there. You'll probably hear me when I fire it up!

Well I look forward to hearing it. My own 3.2 conversion sounds sweet as well (I'm biased of course). ITBs and a Dansk muffler make a sweet sound out of those engines!

By the way, I worked for Sandia National Labs for a few years (on KAFB). That cross-town commute is a bear. Hope you can get early hours!
GeorgeRud
You need to visit the Unser Racing Museum and check out the racetrack west of town by the prison. I also enjoyed the fact that Al, Sr. and Bobbie Unser live across the street from each other (close to Unser Blvd.). Since my brother has lived out there for many years, we've had plenty chances to visit.
snakemain
Looks like we got ourselves a convoy.

Click to view attachment
snakemain
Survived the trip and unpacking except for a messed up shoulder. Car started and backed off the trailer and pulled into the garage, but now the car won't start and the charger/tester claims the battery is bad. Grr. Next door neighbor and wife are older Jersey transplants who are super nice, and older guy across the street has a SWEET restored TR6 and an A-H Sprite project in the garage, plus half a dozen old dirt bikes. First place we've ever lived where the neighbors have actually come over and introduced themselves and talked for quite some time.
snakemain
Fired up the car today and took it around the block...finally. For some reason the old (not very old) battery had died and was testing as bad, so I ordered a new Odyssey. I wanted one of those anyway. Then I noticed that my carb linkage has loose. The nut that attaches the crossbar to the carb was gone. Just gone. Replaced that.

It definitely needs some carb adjustment. Difficult to start, and definitely down on power. Finished the drive and tried to restart it in the garage and it wouldn't. Sounded like it wanted to, but couldn't get it to fire up again.

Driving it again was fun. People looked and waved. I got a little sideways leaving the neighborhood. I'm sure people will love me.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jul 13 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Fired up the car today and took it around the block...finally. For some reason the old (not very old) battery had died and was testing as bad, so I ordered a new Odyssey. I wanted one of those anyway. Then I noticed that my carb linkage has loose. The nut that attaches the crossbar to the carb was gone. Just gone. Replaced that.

It definitely needs some carb adjustment. Difficult to start, and definitely down on power. Finished the drive and tried to restart it in the garage and it wouldn't. Sounded like it wanted to, but couldn't get it to fire up again.

Driving it again was fun. People looked and waved. I got a little sideways leaving the neighborhood. I'm sure people will love me.

Glad to hear!

Did you adjust (re-jet) the carbs for the new altitude?
snakemain
I haven't had a chance to get that done yet. And all my tools are still in IL. sad.gif
VegasRacer
Turtle Mountain Brewing Company and The Fat Squirrel Pub in Rio Rancho are owned by Nico and Liz.
Liz is a member here. Her screen name is turtlegirl. Her car was even voted COTM a while ago.
Stop in, say 'hello' and have a brew. Be sure to tell her we all love and miss her on the forum.
snakemain
I actually drove by the Fat Squirrel on my loop yesterday. It's 3 miles away. Soon as my wife and I get a day off and away from the kids, we're gonna pop by in the teener for lunch and a beer.
Series9
QUOTE(snakemain @ Jul 14 2016, 09:36 PM) *

I actually drove by the Fat Squirrel on my loop yesterday. It's 3 miles away. Soon as my wife and I get a day off and away from the kids, we're gonna pop by in the teener for lunch and a beer.

There was a division between Fat Squirrel and Turtle Mountain a couple of years back. Turtle is home to the 914 guys. Squirrel is home to a couple of owners who are... bootyshake.gif
snakemain
Well screw them and the horse they rode in on then! wink.gif
gopack
Just saw this post, The car is back in NM where I first bought it. if you look at the folder of receipts I gave you, you will see a few from a shop in Los Alamos, or Sante Fe (I forget) where the PO and PPO took it!

It sure looks a LOT better than when I bought it for $1700 in/around 2001! now it is probably worth at least 20-30 times that with all the work I didn't finish, your finishing the car, and the engine you put in.

makes me sad! sad.gif but glad that it has new life! piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Funny,
I've been on layover in ABQ a few times may have to catch up and have a few beers beer3.gif
If anyone's up for it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.