Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LOWERING REAR-END
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkroells
The rear-end of my 1976 is slightly higher than the front end. I have coil springs over shocks by Koni and they don't look adjustable. What is the best way to lower the rear-end so it matches the front end. In other words so it's level?
mgp4591
QUOTE(jkroells @ Jun 3 2016, 03:32 PM) *

The rear-end of my 1976 is slightly higher than the front end. I have coil springs over shocks by Koni and they don't look adjustable. What is the best way to lower the rear-end so it matches the front end. In other words so it's level?

I'm not sure about the Konis but the Bilsteins have multiple grooves in the shock body that locate a snap ring that fits right under the lower spring perch. Look at your shocks first to see if those grooves are there - if they are, you're good to go for adjustment. You may want to remove the shocks to do this so the weight of the car isn't resting on the springs or you can jack the car up to relieve spring pressure. You're still gonna get spring action driving against the perch so you probably want to get some small ratchet straps to contain your spring pressure. Others should chime in for previous experiences - I've only done mine off the car.
injunmort
you can also adjust the torsion bars in front to raise it a little.
Mueller
Options:

Raise front to match rear (free)

Cut rear springs (free, not easily reversible without spending money, trail and error, some frown on cutting springs, I've done it before and I'm not dead!)

Install adjustable collars (might not be too easy on those shocks without seeing a picture)

Install shocks that have adjustments for the springs, most $ option.
jkroells
All good reply's. Thank you. I'll consult a mechanic to see what is the most economically best way to do it. Thank you all!
EdwardBlume
Get a couple bags of gravel and put it in the trunk.
JRust
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2016, 05:53 PM) *

Get a couple bags of gravel and put it in the trunk.

lol-2.gif Now thats economical aktion035.gif
zambezi
Take a picture of your rear spring/shock combo and we may be able to help without you going to the mechanic just yet.
tomeric914
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=229288

You're welcome bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.