Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this and can I replace it???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Can anyone tell what it is and how much needs replacing?
Seems like there were more wires coming out of it at one time. smile.gif
It's getting a V8 and no injection system FYI.
This is exactly how I got it....

Hmmmm, looks like I missed a great get together in so cal...
As soon as Bebe gets her new heart and legs she'll be my new commuter car. mueba.gif aktion035.gif
I wanna' go out and play!!!!
mk114
it looks like a fuel injection unit I think I have and extra

Was it on the drivers side mouted near the fire walll
mightyohm
It's called a relay board. It powers the stock EFI system and the voltage regulator for the stock alt. It also passes thru some wires for stuff like the oil pressure sender etc.
You won't need 90% of it for a V8 conversion. But I don't know exactly which 10% you do need. biggrin.gif
mrihop
You don't need the relay board at all. Throw it away if it's burned up, or sell it cheap to someone in the club, then grind off the posts in the engine bay as well as all the other little brackets that will no longer have any components mounting to. I hope those wires in the foreground of the picture are not part of the main harness...it will be fun putting that back together.

Renegade has a wiring harness available that you just hook up the parts to your engine and plug the other end into the factory plug. It doesn't get any easier than that! The oil pressure, water temp, and ac (if you have any of these) have a seperate plug sticking out that you route to your gauges and ac controls seperately.
Dr. Roger
Hi Ian,

So do you mean that Renegades harness will plug directly into the 15 or so pin connector coming out from the firewall bypassing this piece of s*&% relay board altogether? dry.gif

(Note to self. 914 club really is a one stop resource shop.)

Thanks!!
mrihop
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 4 2005, 11:20 PM)
Hi Ian,

So do you mean that Renegades harness will plug directly into the 15 or so pin connector coming out from the firewall bypassing this piece of s*&% relay board altogether? dry.gif

(Note to self. 914 club really is a one stop resource shop.)

Thanks!!

Yes! I just ran out and took this picture for you.
bondo
Make sure you poke around with a meter first.. that meltdown was probably caused by a short somewhere.. make sure all of the wires connected to that board are not connected to each other if they shouldn't be. You don't want that happening again. smile.gif

(whatever melted down those wires could also have melted wires elsewhere but not as bad, so look for that too)
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (mrihop @ Apr 5 2005, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 4 2005, 11:20 PM)
Hi Ian,

So do you mean that Renegades harness will plug directly into the 15 or so pin connector coming out from the firewall bypassing this piece of s*&% relay board altogether?   dry.gif

(Note to self.  914 club really is a one stop resource shop.)

Thanks!!

Yes! I just ran out and took this picture for you.

Mr Ihop,
It looks like the connector in the pic is not the 15 pin connector. Is this a pic of the Renegade connector hooked to something else?

Ohyea, and the wires that are all burnt up are that comes out of the relay board.
skline
They do have the harness that plugs right in, its about $190.00 as I remember. I passed on it and wired it myself. I am really a CSOB.
mrihop
I don't know how many pins the connector is...but that's the main harness that comes around and plugs into the relay board in a factory setup. Then the other end of the relay board is the factory engine harness.

The Renegade harness bypasses the relay board and plugs right into the factory harness. You dont need the factory engine harness either. As you can see in my picture, I connected the factory plug and the Renegade plug in the same general area where the factory relay board used to go, and I grinded off the posts that hold the relay board on. I think I paid $195 for the harness + shipping. I'm not a very good electriction, and I didn't want to trace through every connection, so $200 was cheap. It was Plug-and-Play and much better quality than I could produce! I got a diagram with it to know what colors go where.

If you want the experts, spend 5 minutes one the phone with one at Renegade: 1-866-498-2421.
Root_Werks
Shameless plug/hijack:

I just pulled the relay board and engine 12 pin harnes, the harnes that has the wires for the starter, coil, tach ect.

$50 shipped and there both yours. Both are in nice shape.

Plug/hijack over.
mrihop
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 5 2005, 12:21 PM)
Shameless plug/hijack:

I just pulled the relay board and engine 12 pin harnes, the harnes that has the wires for the starter, coil, tach ect.

$50 shipped and there both yours. Both are in nice shape.

Plug/hijack over.

That's a good deal. Porsche wants $50 per plug or something.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (mrihop @ Apr 5 2005, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 5 2005, 12:21 PM)
Shameless plug/hijack:

$50 shipped and there both yours.  Both are in nice shape.

Plug/hijack over.

That's a good deal. Porsche wants $50 per plug or something.

Yea' Im a cheap SOB myself but whenit comes to reliability and not knowing the condition/reliability of used electronics I think i'm going to go Renegade.

Thanks for all the suggestions. smilie_pokal.gif
jgiroux67
I'm gonna go with carbs on my 2.0 so will I need the relay board?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Apr 5 2005, 04:13 PM)
I'm gonna go with carbs on my 2.0 so will I need the relay board?

yes....

wheer is your fuel pump? you can jack one of the switched 12v from the relay board....

your alternator plugs into the relay board as does voltage regulator etc....
mightyohm
Do you have an externally regulated alternator?

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? A points/coil ignition or an ignition using the stock engine wiring harness?

Do you have a heater blower? Do you intend to use it?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you MIGHT need a relay board. (in my best Jeff Foxworthy voice)

biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 5 2005, 03:22 PM)
Do you have an externally regulated alternator?

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? A points/coil ignition or an ignition using the stock engine wiring harness?

Do you have a heater blower? Do you intend to use it?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you MIGHT need a relay board. (in my best Jeff Foxworthy voice)

biggrin.gif

Does this mean the Renegade harness does not supply power for the alternator or other things i might need for a V8 conversion? unsure.gif
mightyohm
Not necessarily. If you have an internally regulated alternator (all V8s) you don't need the voltage reg and you can tie directly to the battery. The Renegade kit bypasses the relay board and I am assuming it still lets you run an oil pressure sender etc but thru their harness instead of the stock relay board. I don't know what they do about the heater blower and fuel pump.
mrihop
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Apr 5 2005, 04:31 PM)
Does this mean the Renegade harness does not supply power for the alternator or other things i might need for a V8 conversion? unsure.gif

The Renegade harness has one wire that goes to your alternator and another to your starter post. Everything is set for generating power! Nothing else to worry about.

It is set up for the oil pressure dummy light. The harness also simply hooks up to the fuel pump.

The harness accomodates the oil pressure sender and water temp sender, but you need to wire those up to your new gauges seperately.
Dr. Roger
oh hell yea'. the game is on. mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.