Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cano
Here are a few pics of the muffler off my '73 2.0. Does anyone know who made it? It is a little heavy, but appears very well made and the sound is good. wink.gif Thanks.

Cano
another
Cano
last
Joe Bob
Dunno....could be a home built. Looks a little like the mittelmotor one from Germany but they didn't do the four pipes.

Cano
Home built is certainly a possibility. The quality of the fit makes me think it was welded on a jig, and thus likely some sort of limited production run. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a positive ID.
ArtechnikA
it looks *a little* like the Abarth mufflers the early 356 guys go ga-ga over; i'd bet that's a design influence. but i'd be very surprised if that were actually an Abarth muffler...
dmenche914
looks about like the aftermarket one on my friends 2.0 914. He got his used, so unsure of manufacture, but since there appears to be more than one out there, it likely is not home made.

He has problems with the tips dragging on bumps, and hills., but his car is pretty low to the ground (as all happy 914's are!!!)
SirAndy
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 5 2005, 07:20 AM)
Looks a little like the mittelmotor one from Germany

agree.gif looks like a Mittelmotor unit. i *thought* they made a 4-tip as well ...

idea.gif Andy
maf914
The Mittelmotor muffler is stainless, at least mine is, so I don't know why someone would paint it silver. Also the detailing doesn't quite match. The welding on the MM muffler is very high quality. Perfect beads. I didn't know they had a four tip style. The photos I have seen are all single outlet, like the one I have.

Four tip mufflers were made by Abarth?, Ansa, Sprint, Monza, Manta. I know it's not a Monza or Manta. Maybe one of the others?

Or home made? idea.gif
JmuRiz
I bet it's a home made one, cool none-the-less. I bet the 4 tips are close to the center so it'll fit out the middle of a 916-style bumper. If there is no baffling in it, I bet it's LOUD too cool.gif
horizontally-opposed
Abarth 914 muffler (unless there are two styles) is two pipes, central but spaced license plate wide. I found one and Partsheaven didn't know what they had.

Is is an Ansa, the pipes look too close, though?!?!?

pete
Katmanken
My 74 1.8 came with one of those.

My muffler was very rusty and had 3 pipes as the PO had knocked one off.

Weighed a ton but still rusted through.

Ken

Engman
Definately not one of a kind - I have an identical unit in my garage. Not sure of the manufacturer - maybe Manta?

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.