Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RUST!!! Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael8345
I found rust in the left rear trunk under the taillight of my 74, 2.0. Help!!

What is there to retard and rust growth. It is all the way through in an area about the size of a matchbook, and surface rust for about 6 inch diameter, thanks.
lapuwali
Use a wire brush to get the flakes off, then sand down to shiny metal, prime, and paint. That's the simplest and cheapest way to deal with small amounts of surface rust.

You'll no doubt find more on the car in other places. Rust is always worse than it looks. Try pulling your side valences and see what's underneath. No real need to panic. This is all normal...
ChrisFix
QUOTE (michael8345 @ Apr 5 2005, 10:48 AM)
I found rust in the left rear trunk under the taillight of my 74, 2.0. Help!!

What is there to retard and rust growth. It is all the way through in an area about the size of a matchbook, and surface rust for about 6 inch diameter, thanks.

In case you are not familiar with this, the taillight housing to car body seal often leaks, which is probably the case with yours and the source of the water that rusted the trunk. Many people re-install the taillight housing with some sealant around the housing gasket. The housing is easily removed with a few nuts from inside the trunk and then the unit pushes out (away from the trunk).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.