Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glovebox door removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
I need to re glue the vinyl to the front of my glovebox flap, and to do it properly and clamp it while the glue dries I want to remove the glovebox 'door' flap.

Have undone the two pivot bolts and the small spring, but for the life of me can't manoeuvre it out of its hole.

Had a look underneath the dash with the thought of removing the strap and taking the glove 'box' out and removing the flap out the back, but that looks near on impossible too.

I then thought of leaving it in situ, and using double sided tape instead of glue, but I think the thickness of the tape might make the flap foul the top of the fixed dashboard piece as it opens.

Suggestions welcome,

thanks

Dave
r_towle
Sorry, take out th glove box.
DaveO90s4
That was a quick reply - thanks. But I can't even see the bolts / nuts at the end of the under-dash glovebox steel strap. Too much in the way....

Is it one of those jobs where I should start by removing one of the back wheels?? beerchug.gif
r_towle
One nut, drivers side (not you) that hold the strap.
Take that off, the strap is hooked into the passenger side where you can feel it but not see it...so unhook it.
Box will basically fall off and down.

Then, while whistling the national anthem of Germany, lay on your left leg, head in under th dash....hold your left arm high.........you get the picture...
You can see the rest of the project now that the box is gone.
DaveO90s4
Thanks (again).

I'll start it on saturday morning, finish it late sunday night with a bit of luck, and go to the physio on monday.

Dave

76-914
So, no one is going to tell him about reconnecting the lovely springs? confused24.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
cary
Nope ...........
DaveO90s4
You guys are a laugh a minute!! I was thinking of tying a draw string to the glovebox hook end of the spring. Any better ideas on this mission critical piece of 914 engineering?
r_towle
Nah, you need to figure it out, it's a rite of passage.
Then you can enter your best time to remove and replace the alternator
DaveO90s4
OK. This is what I'll do. I will record the time from the moment I start to try to hook on the spring to the moment I am successful - including all elapsed time - and will post the results just for laughs. Then you can all tell me how I should have done it. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the secret of how to do it. That research time is not included in the doing time evilgrin.gif
falcor75
When do we tell him that most of us never bothered to reattach the spring? biggrin.gif
DaveO90s4
Too late. Already thought of that. But I'm up for the momentous challenge.
barefoot
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 7 2016, 05:47 AM) *

Funny you should ask about this now, I've been re-installing glove box in my dash just now. Course i have the dash out due to some wiring snafus under there.
I put the OEM spring back on (had one side only) and confirm that it doesn't do anything to hold the door either open or closed. Then I tried modifying another similar spring by shortening it so it retained some tension, still no useful effect. Just snug up the 2 hinge bolts to friction lock the lid.
Here's what it looks like back under there:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Twonicks001
I had the same loose material issue. After doing the removal dance I just used a slow drying glue and several large binder paper clips to clamp all along the edge. Dried perfectly and looks like new.
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 6 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Nah, you need to figure it out, it's a rite of passage.
Then you can enter your best time to remove and replace the alternator

Damn it Rich, you made me blow coffee out my nose with that comment. lol-2.gif av-943.gif

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 7 2016, 12:35 AM) *

OK. This is what I'll do. I will record the time from the moment I start to try to hook on the spring to the moment I am successful - including all elapsed time - and will post the results just for laughs. Then you can all tell me how I should have done it. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find the secret of how to do it. That research time is not included in the doing time evilgrin.gif

Nah, that's not important. We have all of those stats. What we're really interested in is new curse words. I think we are up to 17 new curse words that were borne from those two little springs. happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 7 2016, 05:47 AM) *

No, sorry....no one is up for the challenge.
Valy
I replaced the vinyl without removing the door.

But yes, that spring reattachement is a nice way to spend a full long weekend.
whitetwinturbo
Here's how to get the door off. Put this small device under car ..........

Click to view attachment
DaveO90s4
Yes, could do that. Not sure about "to assemble simply reverse disassembly" procedures
DaveO90s4
Time from starting first spring to completing second spring : 8 minutes.

Dave
r_towle
welcome.png
wcrjeff
Still helpful info .... thanks. Thinking the springs will be easier with the passenger air vent removed...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.