Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gettin the 2056 together
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Hey all,
Alright, my engine project is becoming a reality. I now have a set of basically brand new valves (looked nasty, bead blasting and they're perfect), my 96 mm cyls and pistons, and a good lookin block.

I am scared to crack the block to make this a 2270, so I'm stickin with a 2056 until I get another block. What I figure I will be needing is a Webcam 494, a set of ARP studs, and a set of carbs.

So questions, Is the 494 the right cam? If so, where can I find them?

Do i really need the ARP studs?

Suggestions on carbs?

Thanks all, oh, car will most probably be used for auto-x and track use
-- Steve
mattillac
spend your money on programmable fi, not carbs. my .02 wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SLKWrx @ Apr 5 2005, 01:53 PM)
I am scared to crack the block to make this a 2270...
What I figure I will be needing is a Webcam 494...

where can I find them?

you understand you'll have to crack the case to install a new cam, yes ?

Web-Cam Website
914ghost
Yeah. It'gotta come apart.
I just got the same thing. A solid longblock I figured I'd seal it up - maybe a minor overhaul to get it running!
The guy said it ran great- and it may have.
Well. That sucks. The thrust bearing moves around, the heads have teeeny little cracks near the plug holes, one exhaust valve is cracked- and yes, it 'looks' perfect- it would probably even work great for a while.
Yeah, it all looked perfect at first. But every time you clean something a new monster appears.
Either dont touch it or get ready to get to work. If I ran a used engine I'd assume it's a time bomb and be ready for it to go at any time. That said- I hold nothing against you for risking it! And good luck and god speed!!
Bob O
SLKWrx
Thanks ArtechnikA, I actually did not know that. I just checked the manual and saw that indeed, the cam and the crank sit next to each other. You just saved me a lot of heartache smile.gif

Well the deal is that I've heard many nightmares of taking a sealed block, opening it up, and it never sealing right ever again. I know that Jack and all the others on here will say its easy and all, but this is my first time ever working on a VW engine.. heck, cylinders that come off are a novelty to me.

If I do crack the block, I would like to go with a 2270.. so heres how it stands for me:

I have 96mm P&C's.. just cleaned up the valves and had the metal guys here check them out and they're good. Heads I'm in the process of cleaning up. Will the engine run like crap with a stock cam and 96mm P&C's?

Other scenario, is it as difficult as people say to crack a block? Will it ever reseal like new? How much does it cost for the internals of a 2270?
72914S
Dont be afraid just do it!Get your self a Haynes manual read,read and ask questions here. I did mine (never had done one before ether) I sealed it with a Yamaha out board sealer,no leaks from the case,got one at the oil pump. But I heard these cars like to mark their spot! givemebeer.gif
Jake Raby
For the first time, keep it a 2056.. Learn from it and then upgrade later..

I have a split duration version of the 494 that absolutely rocks. it's a 9510 on my store. A cam change is the single biggest upgrade that can be done to a TIV in every respect from temps to MPG to power.

Note that the 494 or my version is not compatible with stock FI.

Please, please, please do NOT reuse those exhaust valves...

Intakes are fine to reuse most of the time but exhaust valves are Russian Roulette.

SLKWrx
bad exhaust valves? Damn, heck with that, better safe than sorry. Jack, will it be a dog with the stock cam in it? It sounds like its a must have change.

Either way, I'll probably be calling you up for valves and other stuff smile.gif
Jake Raby
Stock cams are the biggest enemy of efficiency in the Type 4....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.