Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Sway bar options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
The previous owner of my '71 914/6 2.7 conversion set the car up for Auto-X. I plan on mostly track events.

Do I need a rear sway bar? How would it effect handling?

Setup:
Early 911 front supension with Koni (orange) adjustable (compress and turn)
Weltmeister 21mm sway bar
Torsion bars ???
Aluminum S calipers & 911SC rotors
2.7 with 40IDA3C Webers, Bursch headers & megaphones
Rear Koni (orange) adjustable (top)
Rear Springs ???
911SC rear calipers and rotors
225/50 & 245/45 Yokohama a032r on 16 x 8/9 BBS

What are the options for a sway bar? 911? 914? ???

Pictures would be helpful

ps how can I determine the rear spring rate? Number of coils and gauge of wire?

Thanks

Eddie
Mueller
Options:

Factory or the new Tarett Engineering bar when it comes out:

Tarett Rear bar eval.

The best method for the rear springs is take them off and measure them, either with a spring tester or by stacking weights on them until they compress 1"
Aaron Cox
i like my rear stock bar......

there is the new tarett coming out....
and weltmeister makes one smoke.gif
Eddie914
How does the sway bar end link attach to the shock or control arm?

The shock bolt on the 914 does not look like the bolt in the Tarret installation?

Thanks
eeyore
There are two shock bolts for stock cars. One with a flat end for non-swaybar cars, and another with a ball on the end. The the droplinks snap onto the ball. (like a mini-trailer hitch)

The Tarett unit uses custom made bolts that have a shoulder and nut to hold the rod-end from the drop links.

Yes, I know
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Apr 5 2005, 01:37 PM)
How does the sway bar end link attach to the shock or control arm?

The shock bolt on the 914 does not look like the bolt in the Tarret installation?

Thanks

stcok rear shock bolts had a small "ball" or "sperical" end on them

the tarett has a cylindrical end where a heim joint connects

Aaronl
mrihop
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 5 2005, 12:29 PM)
i like my rear stock bar......

there is the new tarett coming out....
and weltmeister makes one smoke.gif

You're welcome, Aaron! lol2.gif biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you like it!
Dave_Darling
The other rear sway bar option is: "none at all"...

How's the balance of the car? Does it oversteer, or understeer, or is it about right? If it's right or if it oversteers, you don't want to add any rear roll stiffness so a rear bar is a bad idea. If it understeers, then consider a rear bar or consider loosening the front bar.

In general, autoXers tend to be set up to oversteer a bit more than big-track cars. In part, that's because cars generally tend to oversteer more at higher speeds than at lower. And in part, that's because turns at an autoX are tighter and you want to get the back end moving around a little bit to help you get through them nicely.

Test the car out, and go from there.

--DD
Eddie914
Anyone have a pair of rear shock bolts (with Sway bar attachments) for sale/trade/barter?

I have access to a 911 rear sway bar. I might as well bolt it up and give it a try.

The car is pretty well balanced now. I know I will have to tighten up the front bar when the rear bar is installed to maintain balance.

Thanks

Eddie
john rogers
I noted a rear bar in the HSR race in Phoenix that was mounted inside the rear trunk and since some of the sheetmetal was cut away for tranny access the drop links went down were the sheet metal would have been. I think it was unhooked there so it depends on how you want the car to handle for the course in mind?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.