Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivers Seat Stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OGmikey914
In trying to pull the seat to work on the carpet, and the seat handle on the drivers side broke dry.gif
It was one of the shoddy plastic handles that "never break", unlike the metal ones made by 914rubber that never break beerchug.gif

will definitely be swapping that out.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the darn thing out? It's super stuck, and we tried lubricating the channel, a screwdriver and everything in between. I'm a big guy, 250+ and even with every method we tried and me sitting in the seat sliding as hard as I could to get it loose, had no luck.
r_towle
Well, when you pull up on the lever it pulls up a long rectangular piece that goes all the way down the seat runner and hinges at the rear of the seat.

You can lever that up with a long screw driver to get it out of the current pin it may be locked in on and the seat will slide forward .

The rest of your problem is both rust and possibly a seat mounted out of square.
Both create friction which can be overcome by anger.

Once you get the pin unhooked by lifting the bar, now hit the seat, pull like crazy, get a pry bar behind it, sit in it and jump it forward or all of that

Don't forget the stop inside the rail that does not have a handle which you need to use another screw driver to push if you want to remove the seat
EdwardBlume
They all break. Get a long philips screwdriver and proceed.... biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
And welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Larmo63
Once you figure out where the spring holder gizmo thingie is that is holding it in is, they come out really easily.

welcome.png
bandjoey
With someone wiggling the screwdriver like crazy get your hand loooowwww behind the seat and push forward from the bottom. And a messy spray of oil on the tracks first always helps too.
frankiec@outrageous.net
I've got a 75 and the end of the seat pull (where you hook your fingers through to adjust the seat back and forth), seems like pot metal, snapped off on both sides. However I can lift the bar that the pull broke off of and adjust the seat with no problem. Just watch your fingers.

Good Luck

QUOTE(OGmikey914 @ Jun 6 2016, 08:36 PM) *

In trying to pull the seat to work on the carpet, and the seat handle on the drivers side broke dry.gif
It was one of the shoddy plastic handles that "never break", unlike the metal ones made by 914rubber that never break beerchug.gif

will definitely be swapping that out.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the darn thing out? It's super stuck, and we tried lubricating the channel, a screwdriver and everything in between. I'm a big guy, 250+ and even with every method we tried and me sitting in the seat sliding as hard as I could to get it loose, had no luck.

Drums66
.......And when you're done....."grease the rails"
WELCOME! idea.gif
Jeff Hail
Factory option.

The ones that are supposed to move don't and the ones that aren't supposed to move do.
OGmikey914
I finally got the seat out! It must have been stuck in at an angle, because my fat ass accidentally sat crooked and thats what broke it loose.

The seat handle was toast as you can see:

Click to view attachment

So much for plastic handles that never break. I will be replacing that and will post pics of the new one .

The original reason I was taking the seats out was to replace the carpet, but I found a new beast to conquer once I got it out. There was a hole in the floor under the seat. I am not the most mechanically savvy person, but it looks like maybe this is just a plug that was glued in?

Click to view attachment

For some reason my picture posted upside down and I cannot figure out how to rotate it . Do I need to replace any metal here or can I pull that plug and re-seal it?
Mikey914
Yes you need to reseal the plug. Clean the edges in the bottom and inside the car.
OGmikey914
Sealing the plug is my next project, but in the meantime I was able to install new seat handles.

The old handles very pretty janky. One was a metal handle but was not very sturdy and held on by two small screws, while the other was plastic one that broke entirely.

Pulling the old handles off was pretty easy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I got two new matching handles thanks to 914 Rubber. They are made from powered coated steel and have a much sturdier means of attachment. These suckers will never break on me.

They are super easy to install, you just need an allen wrench a 1/4" drill bit. Just drill the current slots larger and the new handles are plug and play.

Old vs. New Steel Powder Coated

Click to view attachment

What is Left of the broken plastic handle next to the new handle

Click to view attachment

The New Handles Installed

Click to view attachment

Happy Seats

Click to view attachment

Thanks again to 914 Rubber for all the help. More pictures and project definitely to come!
green914
welcome.png Just too much fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.