Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: off to maryland...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
i had posted this before but my kids were playing on the computer so i guess the prior thread was deleted.... kids these days....

anyway, gonna be heading to maryland. took a job in rockville that puts me into upper management so i would be a moron to pass it up. will look forward to meeting all the va/md/pa/wva gang when time allows. looks like we will be in the area on a house hunting mission in the middle of this month. so if anyone knows of a really cheap, really big house on a ton of land with a 3 car garage and a shop, let me know!
ChrisFix
QUOTE (scottb @ Apr 5 2005, 02:21 PM)
i had posted this before but my kids were playing on the computer so i guess the prior thread was deleted.... kids these days....

anyway, gonna be heading to maryland. took a job in rockville that puts into upper management so i would be a moron to pass it up. will look forward to meeting all the va/md/pa/wva gang when time allows. looks like we will be in the area on a house hunting mission in the middle of this month. so if anyone knows of a really cheap, really big house on a ton of land with a 3 car garage and a shop, let me know!

Congrats on the promotion and welcome to the area (I'm sort of a neighbor in NC, but you have to squint hard to see it). Finding anything cheap in Rockville will be challange enough, but for land, you might need to commute...maybe from NC!!

Good luck on the move. It is a great area with tons of stuff to do.
scottb
we lived in the area prior to moving up here to mass. great place. housing is friggin' obscene but what the hell. it's only money right? wink.gif
scotty914
well the taxes will be a little better, and the gun laws are a little better, and the politics are better ( no kennedy ) but not much. but you will pay more for housing, more for property taxes, more for gas, more for car ins, more for food, maybe more for electric and gas

oh, welcome sucker
scottb
i don't know about the property tax thing.... i just received my assessment a couple of months ago and i still can't sit right....

and car tags here are friggin nuts! you get taxed for the state, county and city. 3 different bills!

and don't get me going on car insurance. the state legislature sets the rates. there is no competion. i have 1995 bronco and 1997 subaru that i pay $2050 per year with a clean driving history! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

there are costs everywhere but the taxes and mandatory payments are killer. maryland, while a bit pricey on certain things, mostly made sense at least.
grasshopper
hey, my house is for sale, 6 car garage/shop and a 4 bedroom 3 bath house with big basement and a porch on the back. There is already a contract on the house but if you want to come look at it PM me. oh yea, it 500k right now. Later, Barry Fuller. Oh yea, i'll still be in the area this summer if you want to get together some time. Rockville is only about 45 minutes from me.
nein14-6
Hi, I live near Rockville in Maryland. PM me when you come on out, there are plenty of 914s in the area. Heck, I have three of them at my house now. To get a place with some land you may need to look out here towards where I live in Mount Airy.
Reiche
I grew up in Rockville/Potomac and what nein14-6 said is right. Any available land is quite a ways out of town. Good luck! At least you don't have to drive into the District. Saves you the worst ten miles of the commute, perhaps the worst ten miles of any commute anywhere.
Joe Bob
Moving on up....gonna get one of them "Senior Management" Porsches?
scottb
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 6 2005, 12:10 PM)
Moving on up....gonna get one of them "Senior Management" Porsches?

nah.... will probably just get a car cover for the teener.

i may stop scratching my ass in public though... bootyshake.gif
East coaster
Lockheed?
Kerrys914
Welcome to the area smile.gif

Keep eye out for the updates on the East Coast Cookout. You'll see alot of the 914 guys from VA, DC, MD, PA, and NJ. smilie_pokal.gif

No more TAX-achusetts. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
scottb
been a bit busy so here is an update:

4/5/05 notice given at current employer and realtor contacted in MD

4/6/05 found house in same neighborhood lived in before. got realtor to send up pictures. looks good. a bit pricey but nice. current employer tells me they want me to stay. don't offer any more $ but say they really like me. i say thanks but i gotta go.

4/7/05 more pictures arrive of house in poolesville MD and i find out that i can get an equity advance from new employer. decide i should head down and take a look at the house.

4/8/05 flew down to MD in the evening

4/9/05 looked at house, took a bunch of pics/video. called the wife and then put in an offer. back on a plane to MA at 330pm.

4/10/05 found out got house. beer.gif

4/11/05 contacted movers to schedule. MA house on market

4/12/05 looks like will be out of MA during 1st week of may and in new house by 5/7/05

and to think that 3 weeks ago i had a phone interview to start the process. my head is spinning.....

anyone want a nice 2800 ft2 house on just shy of an acre in MA?
ws91420
Good ole Poolesville. Grew up a hop, skip, and a jump across the river on the ferry in Leesburg VA. Nice outlet shopping there now. My teener is at my mom's there now eaiting for it's rebuilt trans. There are a few teeners in the Ashburn Sterling area.
scottb
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Apr 12 2005, 05:13 PM)
Good ole Poolesville. Grew up a hop, skip, and a jump across the river on the ferry in Leesburg VA. Nice outlet shopping there now. My teener is at my mom's there now eaiting for it's rebuilt trans. There are a few teeners in the Ashburn Sterling area.

took the wife over to leesburg before we left. whites ferry is a friggin' hoot. the kids loved it. lots of fun roads in the area and hardly any traffic unless you head up towards frederick (unless things have changed).

i will be the tall bald guy with a shit eating grin in the white '73 2.0L with the new dr evil interior....... if you see me wave hi, but please use more than one finger so i can tell you are from the club!!!!!
ws91420
Waterford Fair is a must do. August Court Days in Leesburg. Many other community events that are in the area. Usally a car show or two. Let me know when you are in the area maybe we can get together for a drive.
plas76targa
Scottb,

We'll be joining you in Frederick County this summer - Frederick city to be exact . Wife is getting a new assignment with her company in Frederick and I'm working on returning to the same division (of a major Govt contractor) I left in Rockville. I plan on towing the 914 east - you'll see me post more on that when we get closer to the move. We'll have to have a Central MD 914 breakfast! See you in July!
Dr Evil
How far are you from Harrisberg/Hershey, PA? I know I will be 2 hours from Baltimore. Can't wait to make new connections over there biggrin.gif
Tom Perso
I was just in Harrisburg PA last week. If yur there, check out the Burbon Street Saloon, it's downtown on Second St.

It's like a Hooters, but with girls wearing Daisy Dukes and cowboy hats.... wub.gif wub.gif

And, $2 drafts! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

Later,
Tom
scottb
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Apr 13 2005, 01:23 AM)
How far are you from Harrisberg/Hershey, PA? I know I will be 2 hours from Baltimore. Can't wait to make new connections over there biggrin.gif

Scottb,

We'll be joining you in Frederick County this summer - Frederick city to be exact . Wife is getting a new assignment with her company in Frederick and I'm working on returning to the same division (of a major Govt contractor) I left in Rockville. I plan on towing the 914 east - you'll see me post more on that when we get closer to the move. We'll have to have a Central MD 914 breakfast! See you in July!

poolesville is about 100 miles from harrisburg/hershey.....
an easy drive! smilie_pokal.gif

and frederick is even closer! plan on some more teener sightings in the area.....
scotty914
damn at this rate maryland/pa/va will have as meany 914s as kali smilie_pokal.gif
plas76targa
Dr. Evil, and Scott Thatcher too

Let's make sure to meet at WCC. Dr, I saw your post a while back about Medical school in PA. We'll be close enough to make a "mini gathering" in So central PA or MD. Will you still be doing interior repairs then? I have the classis tear in the drivers seat. (the car, not me!).

..and Baltimore to Frederick is barely 45 minutes. Less in a teener wink.gif

see you all in 10 days? wholy schidt! wacko.gif
JmuRiz
so if anyone knows of a really cheap, really big house on a ton of land with a 3 car garage and a shop, let me know!

happy11.gif that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. Having lived in the DC area for 20 years, I can tell you that there is no place with a lot of land that is cheap. But on the off chance you find it, LET ME KNOW! I live about 45 min from DC to the west and my GF lives 40 min to the east...so I'm all around the area. I'm sure we'll have some GTGs soon. Also check out:
http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/
It's the unofficial NoVA/DC/MD owners group, we coordinate some GTGs and drives etc. Welcome to the neighborhood!
scottb
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Apr 13 2005, 04:04 PM)
so if anyone knows of a really cheap, really big house on a ton of land with a 3 car garage and a shop, let me know!

happy11.gif that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. Having lived in the DC area for 20 years, I can tell you that there is no place with a lot of land that is cheap. But on the off chance you find it, LET ME KNOW! I live about 45 min from DC to the west and my GF lives 40 min to the east...so I'm all around the area. I'm sure we'll have some GTGs soon. Also check out:
http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/
It's the unofficial NoVA/DC/MD owners group, we coordinate some GTGs and drives etc. Welcome to the neighborhood!

i will be in poolesville so we will be close.

looks like the movers are going to be here in MA to pack us up 5/4 & 5/5 then down on the weekend for unpack and move in.....

feel free to drop by with beer and to watch the movers work!!!!

oh, and if you feel the urge to help with painting...... wink.gif biggrin.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (scottb @ Apr 13 2005, 01:26 PM)
feel free to drop by with beer and to watch the movers work!!!!

consider it a date, and if you want i will give you a ride in the porscharu driving.gif

oh, and if you feel the urge to help with painting...... wink.gif  :D

by law i cant help or do painting, i am so bad at it i cant even go in the homedepot paint department, i am banned. but i do know a really great electrician, who is really smart and good looking and can be had very cheap compared to the local going rate
grasshopper
great! now that i'm moving away, everyone else is moving in! wacko.gif THIS SUCKS!
Nick
Welcome to MD. I look forward to meeting you at some 914 event if it is ever finished . . . anway feel free to email me at ncole@foley.com or give me a call 202-945-6164 during work. I have lived in Bethesda, just south of Rockville for about 30 years so I know this area of MD very well. If you need any advice or help shoot me a nore or give me a call. Good luck.

Nick
scottb
ok boy's and girl's we are on our way!!!!!

movers will be done tomorrow and we will be in our new house in poolesville MD on thursday.

went ahead and said the movers can load the teener as the dirver is exceptionally cool and has a buddy with a 73 as well. if'n he knows the car then i 'think' i can feel ok about it. besides, less brain damage for my minimally functional cerebrum is good.

has been great here and it would be really easy to stay.... ed morrow has been a great teener contact though i have not been in touch as much as i should be. and the erc guys i met when it was warm for that 4 days (joke), many thanks. it has been great. neighbors, work, friends. but opportunity knocks on occasion and one should listen...

for all i am leaving i really look forward to MD. lot's of testicluar fortitude in the scott brethren driving the subu-orsche to CA! i have many items on my teener list in the next year that include adding flares, painting, an engman chassis support kit and maybe if the stars align a big fu*^#in' engine kit from jake.....

just got back from my 4th trip to dc in 5 weeks and i have torn in to the jamesons from my neighbor as a going away gift. hard to say good bye but looking forward to saying hello. the unpacking party is on saturday! send me a pm if'n ya want to stop in.....

had a couple can you tell?

cheers....

bob
Hey Scott-
I think I met you at a cheasapeak challenge a few years ago? I had the '73 phoenix red car...
hope to meet up again. I think the challenge is the weekend of the 13th.. maybe we can set up a 914 contingent and crash the car show!

-bob
TGM
Welcome to Maryland. There are a few club members in the central MD area about 30 miles from you. Good luck with the move.

T.G.
Dr Evil
How far from Harrisburg, PA?
scottb
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ May 4 2005, 01:19 AM)
How far from Harrisburg, PA?

about an hour south. is a quick shot up through frederick and gettysburg.

PS: i still have those seat cores to send back to you mike. they are on a moving truck right now. sorry for the delay. things have been a touch hectic lately!
crash914
This is so funny....it looks like I am also headed back to the balt-wash area....

I moved to New Hampshire for the job, now that is over and I am looking back in the NOVA area....had an interview last week in Landover...we will see....

Sounds like we will have a mid atlantic club very soon....bigger and better...see you there!
scottb
well i made it. started work on thursday in rockville and plowing through the endless supply of boxes that need unpacking.

have driven the teener almost everyday given that the weather has been fantastic lately! driving.gif

got a flash and wave from an older 911 targa yesterday and a laugh and some conversation at the gas station from a guy who saw me put the gas in the front.

am looking forward to the east coast cookout coming up and maybe even some 9:14 breakfasts if we can organize it.

now gotta go unpack some more.....

cheers...
scotty914
scott give me a call maybe we can set up something on the wekend as a welcome party

pm om its way
crash914
Hey Scotts!!
It looks like I might take a job in Laurel....I don't know where to move to yet...I used to live in Catonsville...hmmm...Now I can't wait for the mid atlantic classic!

Anyone else in Maryland? Sing out!

I have a second interview next week...it should be fun.....later
type47
look out for "norustscott", a teener and vw guy living in sykesville. he has a beautiful 73 2L and i think works in rockville. also, consider going to the import/kitcar carlisle show weekend of may 21 (thurs-sunday). show is alot british, swedish, some vw but basically i look at it as a car thing to go to. swap meet but not alot of 914 stuff. sat is the car show, swap all 4 days but of course, sat is the big day. if you pre-register, you can park on the infield and get 2 admissions for not much more than one admission and parking. search for cars at carlisle.com or something. if you can't find it, post here and i'll look for and post the address. i'm pre-registered and will probably drive the 74 1.8. then, there is bug out in manassas va on sunday of memorial day weekend. then there is the porsche parade swap meet june 25 in hershey then there is the potomac pca club race at summit point wv early october..... sometime soon, there is a potomac tech session (to inspect cars for DE) at tischer in silver spring md.
scotts-toolwench
Well, I live in Maryland too, but i'm just a toolwench....Does that count? rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.